Marvel Comics Reveals New Ms. Marvel

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Marvel Comics Reveals New Ms. Marvel

The latest hero to take up the Ms. Marvel mantle is Kamala Khan, a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City.

Marvel superhero Ms. Marvel, known more mundanely as Carol Danvers, took on the name Captain Marvel in July 2012 in a new ongoing series by writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Dexter Soy. However, the mantle of Ms. Marvel will not remain empty for long. Yesterday, Marvel Comics announced a new standalone Ms. Marvel title coming in February. The lead character will be Kamala Khan, a devoted teenage fan of Danvers who takes on the name Ms. Marvel after discovering body-morphing powers. The young Muslim woman, a Pakistani-American growing up in Jersey City, is Marvel's first Muslim character to get an ongoing solo series.

Marvel editors Sana Amanat and Steve Wacker told The New York Times that Khan began in a conversation they had about growing up. Amanat says, "I was telling [Wacker] some crazy anecdote about my childhood, growing up as Muslim-American. He found it hilarious." Series writer G. Willow Wilson, a convert to Islam, was eager to sign on for the title. In an interview with The New York Times, Wilson says that the series is "about the universal experience of all American teenagers, feeling isolated and finding what they are [...] through the lens of being a Muslim-American." An in-depth Q&A with Wilson and Amanat about the new series was posted today [http://marvel.com/news/story/21466/all-new_marvel_now_qa_ms_marvel] by Marvel.

Marvel Comics' continuing effort to diversify its heroes includes highlighting female and minority leads in the Mighty Avengers and X-Men series. Female heroes She-Hulk and Elektra will also get solo series next year. An alternative take on Spider-Man this year featured black Hispanic teenager Miles Morales in the iconic costume instead of Peter Parker. Speaking on the success of Morales, Axel Alonso, editor in chief of Marvel Entertainment, tells The New York Times, "When you see Spider-Man strip down his mask and he looks like you, you are more inspired to pick up that book."

If you ask me, more people reading comics is always a good thing, and given that DC Comics its mouth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127492-Lesbian-Marriage-Too-Tough-For-Batwoman-Authors-Leave], Marvel is looking pretty good right now.

[gallery=1869]

Source: The New York Times [http://marvel.com/news/story/21466/all-new_marvel_now_qa_ms_marvel]

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
This sounds really awesome! I think the idea of a Pakistani-American protagonist lends a really unique perspective, I bet with Wilson onboard this will be something worth watching.
And of course more diversity is always a good thing and if any medium needs more diversity it's comics.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. The costume is a little sloppy looking though. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Tenmar said:
Really hope that is all concept art cause not really liking the style or the costume. Really wish I could offer more but given the content it's just...not that good looking.
Yeah, I took one look at those images and shook my head.

They just look terrible...I really hope for something better otherwise I have a feeling this is just going to flop.
Really? You guys don't like it? I think the designs look pretty nice. I think the characters all look realistic and relatable, and to me the costume doesn't look bad at all.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
bazaalmon said:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!
Erm, that's DC who are against lesbian marriage. This is a Marvel series.

I've got to agree that the artwork looks a bit shit and I'm not really keen on the idea too. I mean, is she going to stop being a hero to pray 5 times a day and then get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine? Also why does that hedgehog have Hulk hands (holy aliteration Batman!)?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I'm sure this will result in reasonable and calm reaction from the usual suspects like FOX.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
bazaalmon said:
Nice to see that they're branching out a bit. Still, let batwoman have her wedding!
Erm, that's DC who are against lesbian marriage. This is a Marvel series.
I'm not really going to try and defend most of DCs recent creative and business decisions, but ill point it its less to do with being against lesbian marriage and more that they still ascribe to the (wrong) thinking that romance stories lose all tension and interest when the two tie the knot. No one was allowed stay married going into the New 52 (except Animal Man, of which being a Family Man superhero was one of his main 'things', which didnt stop them from breaking him up since anyway) and no one has gotten married.

Edit: Wouldnt have been my first pic for a muslim female solo

I just want more M16...

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
You know what, I don't even have the energy anymore. And God knows if I say anything I'd probably get a warning for it, so I'll just quietly facepalm until I'm concussed.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Yeah the color's are throwing me off a bit.. Yellow and purple look alright but that red under thing? she's got on doesn't mesh well with the scheme I think. Though again it might not be quite as off putting on plain paper (that off manilia colorish color might be skewing the way my eyes look at the rest of the colors.) or if they take the design to a more standardized style (like the 1st image). All in all I like the idea of it. Might have to find where my local comic book place moved to and swipe a copy when it comes out..

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
CriticalMiss said:
...get stoned to death for daring to be an independant woman rather than a domestic slave and baby producing machine?
This sort of thing is perhaps why it needs to exist.