Marth Returns In Next Super Smash Bros

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Marth Returns In Next Super Smash Bros

The veteran from Fire Emblem is back to stun the audience with his dazzling looks and lightning fast sword moves.

Marth's impact in Super Smash. Bros Melee was so great that two years later a Fire Emblem game finally made it out of Japan. Since the prince's international debut on the GameCube, he's been invited back to fight in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and today the official website for Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS updated with the announcement that Marth is back once again.

[gallery=1871]

Fire Emblem fans outside of Japan finally had the chance to play Marth in his own Fire Emblem game in the DS title Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. Marth has been in a couple other Fire Emblem titles that have not released outside of Japan, but he does make an appearance in the 3DS game released earlier this year, Fire Emblem: Awakening. A masked swordsman identifies himself as Marth to the game's lord character, Chrom. Marth is a legendary hero in Awakening and should no longer be alive. (Spoiler!) This character is revealed to be Chrom's daughter, Lucina, from a horrible future when a ferocious dragon goes on a rampage to destroy the world.

Super Smash Bros. Melee introduced the west to Marth and fellow Fire Emblem lord Roy. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance's lord Ike replaced Roy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If another Fire Emblem character is added to the mix of characters in the next Super Smash Bros., Awakening's Chrom would be likely to make the roster, but it would be nice to see Lucina added.

Source: Super Smash Bros Website [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/marth.html]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I really, really, really hope they do an alternate skin/voice for him that is Lucina. That would be so fucking badass.

Dec 14, 2009
I can haz Sheik plz?

Also, can Sheik not suck so much this time around plz?

Also, can you not ruin Zelda while doing so plz?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
I can haz Sheik plz?

Also, can Sheik not suck so much this time around plz?

Also, can you not ruin Zelda while doing so plz?
If both Zelda AND Shiek are good in the new SSB... fun times will be had.

"Oh, you don't like being juggled by arcane explosions? Okay, I suppose I'll just juggle you with my ninja feet instead!"

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Sweet.
He was one of my favorite characters personally. I'd really like to see Fire Emblem characters just for variety if anything?
I'm getting pretty excited for this game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Fappy said:
I really, really, really hope they do an alternate skin/voice for him that is Lucina. That would be so fucking badass.
Well, considering that the Wii Fit Trainer is getting a genderswap skin, it's possible at least.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not suprising (I mean he is the main character in the first Fire Emblem game after all) althought I'm wondering if we going to see Chrom (from the lastest game Fire Emblem Awakening) as the other Fire Emblem character in the rouster?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I love the way Nintendo are drip feeding us all characters that were in previous games, alongside certain other game releases. Come on nintendo! Youre sposed to surprise us! Throw in that lady from Eternal darkness or something. Oh and release a version of the game alongside the revelation too. Please??

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
IIRC, Marth remains the most popular Fire Emblem protagonist in Japan, so there was absolutely no chance we would ever see "Lucina as Marth", even if it would have been pretty damn cool. (she even uses his weapon, since she's descended from Marth)

It's kind of a shame that the pro-gamer culture from Melee ruined Smash Bros for me, both directly and indirectly.
I might get it on 3DS just to give it a reason to exist again (FE Awakening, sadly, was style over substance).
(oh that trip mechanic in Brawl...*sigh*)

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
MarsAtlas said:
Marth has been in more Fire Emblem games than any other Fire Emblem character (Roy and Ike tie if you're not counting remakes and don't weigh the fact that Awakening takes place in the same world). Marth was also the main character of the anime, for what that's worth, but for sheer exposure Marth has at least...

The Original Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Fire Emblem: Hero's of Light and Shadow
Fire Emblem: Awakening (takes place in the same world, so mentioned in cannon, he also has two separate cameo versions Prince Marth and King Marth).
The Fire Emblem anime
Now three Super Smash games

If anyone is the "Face of Fire Emblem", it's Marth.

OT: Chrom will probably replace Ike, but I'd like to see Lucina instead since none of the female Lords (Ladies?) get much attention in series or elsewhere. Poor Lyn only got a third of a game, Ericka got a full game but co-stared with Ephraim, the same could be said with Lucina and Chrom.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I know it?s not going to happen but the other fire emblem character should be donnel, he starts very weak but every time he hits or kill something he gets stronger until he is arguably the most powerful character.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I hope they include the other Marth as a skin, lawl

no huge surprise here, though...

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Fappy said:
Ninja'd right out of the gate. (Though I definately agree)

Still, I could see Chrom also being another alternate skin if they were going to do that. Since he did teach lucina how to fight and does have a similar look. He would probably be just a close character if he didn't otherwise.

Would be cool if you could use your avatar from one of the games saved on your 3DS as a character since they are one of the most versatile units you can get in the game and do have the largest portion of the plot dedicated to them.

Hell, could even have them fight differently based on what class they are in the game! (Incredibly unlikely, but a man can hope)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Inco said:
Fappy said:
Ninja'd right out of the gate. (Though I definately agree)

Still, I could see Chrom also being another alternate skin if they were going to do that. Since he did teach lucina how to fight and does have a similar look. He would probably be just a close character if he didn't otherwise.

Would be cool if you could use your avatar from one of the games saved on your 3DS as a character since they are one of the most versatile units you can get in the game and do have the largest portion of the plot dedicated to them.

Hell, could even have them fight differently based on what class they are in the game! (Incredibly unlikely, but a man can hope)
I dunno, if you could play as your own avatar I feel I'd never end up playing any other characters. Double-edged sword >.<

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I would have preferred Roy, he was mah boy! But I guess I can handle Marth again, he wasn't too bad. I just didn't like him as much as I did Roy.

Also can someone explain to me how Roy was the "clone" I never understood it, was he made at the last minute or something?

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Great news, Marth has always been my favorite Smash Bros character. Though still...come on Nintendo, give me someone new to get hyped about.