Sony's Official PS4 Unboxing Video Is Like a Scene From Tron

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sony's Official PS4 Unboxing Video Is Like a Scene From Tron

Yes, this is seriously the official PS4 unboxing video.

Pulsing electronic music. A blue-bathed room of blinking lights and computer monitors. Cut to giant floating symbols. Cut to a mysterious man with thick leather gloves carefully opening a box containing a delicate piece of machinery. No, this isn't a scene from Tron, it's Sony's official PS4 unboxing video. And that mysterious man? None other that the eccentric President of Sony's Worldwide Studios, Shuehei Yoshida.

To say the the official PS4 unboxing video is over-the-top is perhaps being a bit too kind, but then again, when you're doing something as mundane as an unboxing video, you've really got to go all-or-nothing [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duzi70r-p2w].

As for what's actually in the box, the informative video revealed that the PS4 will ship with: a PlayStation Network voucher* (*while stocks last!), a quick start guide (as opposed to the slow start guide for you more patient-types), a DualShock 4 controller, a HDMI cable, a power cord (glad they remembered that one), a mono headset, a USB cable, and of course the system itself, in all it's shiny glory.

"Greatness awaits," teases Yoshida at the end of the video. Well, that was certainly a thing that I watched.

Source: Sony [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQUpg795iBo]

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Hmmm. Probably not quite as exploitable as the Xbox One unboxing.

Sony really need to get rid of that gurgled "tzttzPlaystationztzzzt" bit at the end of everything they do though. It's neither cool, futuristic, nor enjoyable to listen to.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Wow, I forgot that MS already did a Xbox One unboxing. When was that again? It seems odd they got mad at the gentleman that managed to get his system early. iirc he did his own version of and Xbox One unboxing. If they already did a video, why would they take his down? Was he not being supportive? Back to the topic of Sony, I'd say it's a little overdone, but I never really got into such vids. I really don't need an instructional on how to take something out of a box. I'm usually quite careful.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I assume he's wearing such thick gloves to avoid getting any mediocre on himself. Seriously this is way over the top for what the console's actually going to bring to the gaming world. XBone's unboxing may have been parodied to death now but at least it didn't try to overhype the product or distract the audience with flashy but meaningless visuals.

Daaaah Whoosh said:
All I have to say is...

...what's the USB cable for?
Presumably charging the controller, it's the same with the PS3.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
The reason it's like this is because they're reusing a set they used for the Daft Punk RAM album unboxing. I'd link it here, but I don't think you can embed videos on these forums... just look it up on Youtube, not hard to find. I'm really not sure it's meant to be taken seriously, it's literally the same commercial for a different product.

Why so serious?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Quiotu said:
The reason it's like this is because they're reusing a set they used for the Daft Punk RAM album unboxing. I'd link it here, but I don't think you can embed videos on these forums... just look it up on Youtube, not hard to find. I'm really not sure it's meant to be taken seriously, it's literally the same commercial for a different product.

Why so serious?
You mean like this?

Next I would hope to see a side by side comparison video. Come on internets, don't let me down!

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Remus said:
Quiotu said:

Why so serious?
You mean like this?

Next I would hope to see a side by side comparison video. Come on internets, don't let me down!
Huh, alright. I was trying to embed it, but apparently it's easier than that. Thankyouverymuch.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Quiotu said:

Why so serious?
Yeah, before I watched it, when I saw the description, I figured it was just going to be something to write off as "oh, Japan.", but yeah, it's a total play on the Daft Punk RAM unboxing video, which is awesome, lol.

PlasmaCow

Jul 18, 2009
Remus said:
Like this you mean? [http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRr12u1tk_rM&start1=&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYQUpg795iBo&start2=&authorName=RAM+meets+PS4]

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
PlasmaCow said:
Remus said:
Like this you mean? [http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRr12u1tk_rM&start1=&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYQUpg795iBo&start2=&authorName=RAM+meets+PS4]
looks like the internet comes to the rescue.

Pink Apocalypse said:
This article needs re-titled to 'Fremdschämen : Yes, this is seriously a clueless writer'.

1.) Salvage a little cred and admit the clever reference was lost on you.
2.) Start listening to better music more relevant to your field of work.
To be fair the article does say it looks like a scene from Tron, and the most recent Tron was like a scene from Daft Punk...

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
You don't need to pump it up with electronic music and lights everywhere, the fun comes from activating the part of your brain that gets excited when unwrapping a christmas present or any sort of cool present. That rush is what you go for. Close ups of the box, the console, all the hardware, that's what I'm looking for. That feeling that you just unwrapped a present even though you didn't really get anything.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
LOL. I had forgotten about that Daft Punk video. Now the Sony unboxing makes more (some) sense. I do feel dumb for not noticing the similarities. It's not a coincidence, it was more than likely planned.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
That's nice. Throw in a PS1/2/3 emulator and I might think about spending money on it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Pink Apocalypse said:
Wow!

Entirely snarky editorial that hinges on ignorance of source material: thumbs up.
Comment calling snarky editorial ignorance out: flagged with warning.

Super-neato journalistic prioritizing!
Not being aware of a Daft Punk video: accepted by the community

Insulting a news room contributer because they were unaware of a Daft Punk video: not accepted by the community.

Super-neato social skills prioritising!

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Pink Apocalypse said:
Your attempt to deflect focus away from the needlessly snarky article is failed.

Nice try, though.
Alrighty mate.

You've amassed 4 warnings in your very short posting history here. If it's all the same with you, I won't be putting much stock in your opinion on what constitutes a good post. Or on what constitutes an appropriate level of snark.

Edit: I tell a lie, it's now five.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
What the hell is the point of unboxing videos? I could have guessed at what was in the PS4 box and only missed the headset. You mean to tell me that the console comes with a means to hook it up to a TV, get power to it, and control it in some way??!?!?!?!? Shocking!!!!!!!