Diablo III on PS4 Won't Support Remote Play -UPDATED

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Diablo III on PS4 Won't Support Remote Play -UPDATED

According to Blizzard, Diablo III's hectic nature would make it a poor fit for the Vita's smaller screen.

Back in May, Sony <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124426-Sony-Confirms-Vita-Remote-Play-For-All-PS4-Games>told gamers that unless a "game requires specific hardware" that the company would be requiring developers to make their PS4 games compatible with remote play via the Vita. That being the case, it looks like Blizzard might be in the lucky position of being exempt from that decree. This weekend at BlizzCon, the developer confirmed that PS4 version of Diablo III, the Ultimate Evil Edition, will not support remote play, at least "not for the moment."

"The Vita is an amazing piece of kit, but the screen is still smaller," said senior level designer Matthew Berger. "And when you look at--and also it has its own aspect ratio--and when you look at Diablo III, there's a lot happening on-screen already. You get surrounded by your enemies, lots of effects flying off in every direction. The inventory can be pretty complicated to navigate sometimes when you have lots of items." A remote play-able version of the game, in turn, "would be a little bit more of a stretch."

There may still be some hope, however. While Blizzard "[doesn't] really have any plans right now" for investing in a remote play option, future plans are still "percolating in the back of [the company's] mind." While that's far from being anything solid, it's nonetheless a kernel of possibility that Vita owners can hold onto as they dream of a Diablo III they can play on their handheld.

Source: GameSpot

UPDATE: Despite just recently espousing that Diablo III and remote player were no-go, Matthew Berger has now confirmed that Vita will, in fact, be able to play Diablo III, via the PS4. In a new statement Berger said that, As long as PS4 supports Remote Play, Reaper of Souls will support it." An image has also been released showing the Diablo III being played with the Vita.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Erm, Sony stated that remote play support is mandatory unless game uses PS Move/Camera.
They have to do it. Or Sony will change basic policy before PS4 even launches?

Or Diablo 3 will use PS eye???

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Lord_Gremlin said:
Erm, Sony stated that remote play support is mandatory unless game uses PS Move/Camera.
They have to do it. Or Sony will change basic policy before PS4 even launches?

Or Diablo 3 will use PS eye???
or ActiBliz have a whole lot of sway in the industry and even sony doesn't have the balls to call them on it.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Biggest flip-flop ever.

Having a decent framerate/connection is the real dilemma, in this situation.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Back in May, Sony told gamers that unless a "game requires specific hardware" that the company would be requiring developers to make their PS4 games compatible with remote play via the Vita.
That's a thing? Seems kind of silly to potentially waste a developers time doing that when they could be making the game. I guess it's not as bad as shoehorning in multiplayer though. Still, did they really need to force every game to have it when not everyone is going to use it?

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Back in May, Sony told gamers that unless a "game requires specific hardware" that the company would be requiring developers to make their PS4 games compatible with remote play via the Vita.
That's a thing? Seems kind of silly to potentially waste a developers time doing that when they could be making the game. I guess it's not as bad as shoehorning in multiplayer though. Still, did they really need to force every game to have it when not everyone is going to use it?
Honestly I bet they'll drop that sooner rather than later. It seems like something that could make development unnecessarily difficult, and I hope they learned their lesson after the PS3.

JohnTomorrow

Green Thumbed Gamer
Jan 11, 2010
Who gives a flying shit about this?

When are Blizzard going to fix the PS3 version of D3? I cannot connect to a friends game or vice versa, yet i can play with completely random strangers? What the fuck is that shit?!

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Halyah said:
Well Acti-Bliz sure changed that stance darned fast. I wonder why though...
Because somebody reminded that you either have remote play, or you use PS eye. Or your game don't get certified for release.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I like this. I'm looking forward to the Remote Play concept being supported.

And its not wasting a developers time. The hardware is designed for remote play. The only thing the dev has to do with PS4/PSV remote play is make sure there is a control scheme that works. The only problem is figuring out a way to deal with 2 less shoulder buttons and two sticks that don't press in. But the touch features can be used in place of that for some of the tertiary things.