Humble Store Opens With 24-Hour Debut Sale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Humble Store Opens With 24-Hour Debut Sale

The new Humble Store is offering a debut sale with games including Don't Starve, Gunpoint, Orcs Must Die 2 and The Swapper at 50 to 75 percent off.

First there was the Humble Bundle, and it was good. Then came the Humble Weekly Sale, and it was pretty cool too. Now it's time for the next step in the Humble evolution: The Humble Store, where games go on sale and proceeds go to charity.

The Humble Store functions kind of like the regular Humble Bundle, but there are a few key differences. For one thing, you can buy the games individually, so if you only want, say, Euro Truck Simulator 2, you only buy Euro Truck Simulator 2. The money is also divided up at a fixed rate, with 75 percent going to the developers, 15 percent to the Humble guys and ten percent to charity, shared equally among the American Red Cross, Child's Play, the EFF, World Land Trust and Charity: Water. It will also have a lot more games on offer than you'd see in a standard bundle.

The current sale is valid until 2 pm EST on November 12, and yes, that's tomorrow - sales will be updated every 24 hours. All games in the current lineup are available on Steam and several also have DRM-free and Linux options as well. There are even a couple of Mac versions in there.

The observant among you may feel an urge to point out that the Humble Store has actually been around for awhile now as a way for indie developers to hawk their wares, but this is a full-on digital storefront along the lines of Steam or GOG. That means more indie developers, more games and more sales in one highly visible place - and that's a good thing for everyone.

Source: The Humble Store [https://www.humblebundle.com/store]

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So it's like a Steam sale but every day? Cripes...

I'm not a fan of not being able to choose which charity the money goes towards, plus I'd rather give more than 10%. So kind of a mixed bag for me.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
So it's like a Steam sale but every day? Cripes...

I'm not a fan of not being able to choose which charity the money goes towards, plus I'd rather give more than 10%. So kind of a mixed bag for me.
Please look at the maths again, but I concur. I would prefer to divvy up the charity percentages myself and give 25% to the devs and storefront.
Edit: NVM it is I who needs to check my figures. I still agree that more should go to the charitys. I guess I'll just hang out for the bundles.

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
Kind of feels like they sold out but I suppose having the 10% go to charity rather than 0 is still something.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
octafish said:
Please look at the maths again, but I concur. I would prefer to divvy up the charity percentages myself and give 25% to the devs and storefront.
Edit: NVM it is I who needs to check my figures. I still agree that more should go to the charitys. I guess I'll just hang out for the bundles.
It's not just the percentage either, it's being split between five charities rather than the usual two, so each one is getting less. I wouldn't mind the 10% as much if you got to choose which charity it goes to or splitting it between a couple of your choice.

I'd prefer a split of 50% devs, 25% charity and 25% Humble (if they insist on taking that much). Usually I go 50/50 between the devs and the charities so I suppose they wanted to ensure people didn't do that any more.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
I got my mitts on Rogue Legacy. I really like the functionality of the Humble site, so this is something I support fully. Can't wait to have my Kickstarter games popping up on the Humble store too.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Valderis said:
not knowing if a game is actually DRM-free or not snippage
https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Bottom of the page, as well as whenever you hover your mouse over one of the titles. Each game has a list of different icons: Don't Starve, for example, has a Steam icon, a "DRM FREE" icon, an Apple icon, what I think is a Windows icon, and a Linux icon. Prison Architect and Rogue Legacy both have the same icons. Euro Truck Simulator only has the Steam, Windows, and Linux icons.

Ravage

Aug 24, 2013
I wish they wouldn't give any to the Red Cross, they embezzle an insane amount of money.

SilverStrike

Jul 12, 2010
Valderis said:
Just pointing out, at the bottom of the page with the list of currently available items there are icons next to each one, indicating whether or not they are DRM free. Don't hold Humble accountable that you didn't look up whether your stringent anti-Steam principles matched with the games you wanted to get.

EDIT: In fact with me glancing even closer, when hovering over the game, it shows the icons of what platforms they are suitable/require, and when clicked, they have it in the window that pops up of the game. Three entire instances of whether a game is Windows/Mac/Linux or DRM-Free or Steam or whatever.

OT: This is pretty awesome, and I'm tempted by a fair few. Never hurts to have more things going on sale and getting promotion, but I do wish I could choose what charity. I'm British, I have no desire to have my money go to the American Red Cross, instead of say the EFF or Child's Play.

SilverStrike

Jul 12, 2010
Valderis said:
I'd have thought it'd be common sense that games without a DRM Free icon would not be DRM free. So, I disagree. A game without that Icon, that does have a Steam Icon, MUST be unlocked via Steam. You're just being a derp.

And as for what the icons are, it's kind of really obvious. There are only five icons. Steam, DRM FREE, Windows Mac and Linux.

For example, you're not gonna play Orcs Must Die 2 without playing it on Steam. As it has a Steam Icon, and a Windows Icon. Preeetty clear.

EDIT: So essentially what you want is a big ol' neon sign going YOU NEED STEAM FOR THIS. Alongside the icons denoting that that is the case.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
Valderis said:
SilverStrike said:
I'd have thought it'd be common sense that games without a DRM Free icon would not be DRM free. So, I disagree. A game without that Icon, that does have a Steam Icon, MUST be unlocked via Steam. You're just being a derp.

And as for what the icons are, it's kind of really obvious. There are only five icons. Steam, DRM FREE, Windows Mac and Linux.

For example, you're not gonna play Orcs Must Die 2 without playing it on Steam. As it has a Steam Icon, and a Windows Icon. Preeetty clear.

EDIT: So essentially what you want is a big ol' neon sign going YOU NEED STEAM FOR THIS. Alongside the icons denoting that that is the case.
You are just plain wrong. There are more kinds of DRM then steam. A steam icon only means you can unlock it on steam, not that you must unlock it there.

It's never shown that you MUST have steam, its not there in the requirements list for the games.

What is shown is that it is available on windows separate from steam. So it would logically follow that you would be able to play it without needing steam.
If you were just casually looking at a game or two, I could see it from your point of view...but as soon as you see the "DRM FREE" icon, I think it's pretty clear that when there's only ONE platform icon, that's the only platform it can be unlocked on. Same logic as them only including the Windows icon for some of them - it doesn't mean that it CAN be played on Windows alongside other operating systems, but rather that it MUST be played on Windows, (unless there's another icon which denotes that it can also be played on said OS that it is representing).

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Valderis said:
SilverStrike said:

You are just plain wrong. There are more kinds of DRM then steam. A steam icon only means you can unlock it on steam, not that you must unlock it there.

It's never shown that you MUST have steam, its not there in the requirements list for the games.

What is shown is that it is available on windows separate from steam. So it would logically follow that you would be able to play it without needing steam.
A lot of the games have a sign on them that says "DRM-Free!", and if you've been using the HIB for any length of time or even just moused over more than a couple of the games, you should have noticed this.

Yes, there are more kinds of DRM than Steam, but you're essentially complaining because none of the games have a massive "Warning: No DRM" sign on them, when there are a plethora of games with a "No DRM happy times" icons. No offense, but cut the crap and don't act like it's being directly misleading.

And your logic is off. How the icons clearly work is "You MUST play this game on this OS/service, unless there is another conflicting one next to it in which case you have the option of playing it on that instead." Hence, Steam vs No DRM, and Windows vs Macs vs Linux. Last time I checked, you can't play a game using Steam (Or no DRM) without an OS.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Valderis said:
BartyMae said:
If you were just casually looking at a game or two, I could see it from your point of view...but as soon as you see the "DRM FREE" icon, I think it's pretty clear that when there's only ONE platform icon, that's the only platform it can be unlocked on. Same logic as them only including the Windows icon for some of them - it doesn't mean that it CAN be played on Windows alongside other operating systems, but rather that it MUST be played on Windows, (unless there's another icon which denotes that it can also be played on said OS that it is representing).
I don't know how many more times I have to tell people that just because it has a Steam Icon and no DRM-FREE icon doesn't mean that the DRM is steam related.
Except it actually does. I mean, that is literally what it means. It may not be clear, and you may have been confused by it, but that is literally what it means.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Valderis said:
BartyMae said:
I don't know how many more times I have to tell people that just because it has a Steam Icon and no DRM-FREE icon doesn't mean that the DRM is steam related.

You know what's funny, I just discovered that the DRM-FREE icon is bullshit. I'm trying out "Don't Starve" which has a DRM-FREE icon and guess what? It's asking for a code in order to update the game. Fan-fucking-tastic!! It's asking for a code but I was never given one nor was I told about this shit when I bought the game.

It's just getting better and better.

Your other complaints are rather tedious, as it's painfully obvious what is only available via Steam; as others have said.

I have to agree though, that your new situation with Don't Starve is rather shitty. What code is it asking you for?