PS4 Voice Commands Will Be Limited at Launch

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS4 Voice Commands Will Be Limited at Launch

Sony intends to add more voice command options for the PS4 further down the road.

In case you missed the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124210-The-Baby-Has-A-Name-Xbox-One>Xbox One reveal back in May, Microsoft put no small emphasis on the ability of its users to control a bulk of the console's operations through voice commands. Despite the fact that some were a bit miffed that Microsoft didn't focus more on games in that initial unveiling, the voice commands and Kinect driven interface were actually pretty spiffy. That being the case, it's natural to wonder what the PS4 will have in its own <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127373-PlayStation-Camera-Gives-PS4-Voice-Command-Capabilities>voice command department.

Sony has, in turn, revealed that while a PS4 equipped with the PlayStation Eye and corresponding microphone array will have access to some voice commands, they'll be very limited. At launch users will be able to turn the PS4 off (but not on) and open games with spoken commands. Beyond that none of the console's third party apps will utilize the tech at release. Sony representatives have said that more commands, both voice and gesture based, will be added in the future.

This could seem like a potential disadvantage for the PS4, but it honestly shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Sony may have originally planned to package the PS4 with the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125430-PS4-Originally-499-Included-Camera-Peripheral>PlayStation Eye, but its decision to remove it to lower the console's price arguably sidelined the peripheral. In turn, while future PS4's may come <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128579-Sony-May-Include-PS4-Eye-Camera-in-Future-Bundles>packaged with the Eye, it makes sense that the company would invest its attentions elsewhere when not many people are going to be using voice commands at launch any ways.

Source: <a href=http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/11/playstation-4-voice-command-limitations/?ncid=rss_truncated>Engadget

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
It'd be nice to know what voice features they're planning on adding later on. I would love to be able to turn the console on, watch the next unwatched episode of The X-Files (or whatever old show I'm following when I get a PS4), and turn it off when I'm done without having to get up... perfect for TV before bed. Oh well, I can just stick with my PS3/remote for now.

P.S. Thanks

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmm, can't say I'm too fussed over all this voice command witchcraft. I'm an old gamer, I even remember a time when I'd have to get off my arse to turn a console off! None of this wireless controller hocus pocus.

But I digress, more features will probably be added later on. I guess thats the miracle of updates.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Not really fretting over this since I'm pretty sure they give you the option to turn off the console with the PS4 controller just like how the PS3' was.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
being able to use voice commands is nice, but it will never make or break my decision to buy a console. It really doesn't matter to me.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
The only voice command I think is useful is "pause/play".

Why would the xbone or ps4 need the camera peripheral to work voice commands? They both come with headsets. Or a second screen app even.

Mar 26, 2008
MinionJoe said:
Yes, yes, we already know that the X-Box One will have barely-functional, regionalized voice commands at launch.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127297-Xbox-One-Voice-Commands-Limited-to-Five-Countries-At-Launch

Wait.

What?

PlayStation 4?

Similar issues?

And we can expect to hear even more as we get closer to launch?

My bad! :)
I know; it's all coming out now but where are the pitchforks and burning torches? Or were they all used up when Microsoft announced these things?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I know; it's all coming out now but where are the pitchforks and burning torches? Or were they all used up when Microsoft announced these things?
Yes, people got riled up at MS for their Kinect and voice commanding. Now the PS4 having a similar set, and no one is burning with rage. What hypocrites! There's a few reasons for this watered down response. For one it's just that this news comes across as footnote to the PS4 sales pitch. On the other side we have Xbox One which makes the camera and voice commands as it's peak/corner stone to it's system. Toting the Kinect as the key to the unit being an all in one device. Also it was the manner in which they tried to promote their various policies.

Imaging a friend invites you to his house for a movie. You arrive there and he suddenly starts foaming at the mouth yelling about how cabbages are aliens and his socks are being stolen by gnomes. He kicks you in the shins, bust your nose, and then bites your ear. You run away. The next day he apologizes claiming he was off his medication or something. Sure you can forgive him, but you'd be wary of him overall. If you have a big enough heart to forgive such a man, the other friend has to surpass that previous assault before you think ill of him.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Raziel said:
Why would the xbone or ps4 need the camera peripheral to work voice commands? They both come with headsets. Or a second screen app even.
Becasue the microphone is located inside the camera. if you were to plug extra microphone perhaps you coudl make it work too.

Arawn said:
Yes, people got riled up at MS for their Kinect and voice commanding. Now the PS4 having a similar set, and no one is burning with rage. What hypocrites! There's a few reasons for this watered down response. For one it's just that this news comes across as footnote to the PS4 sales pitch. On the other side we have Xbox One which makes the camera and voice commands as it's peak/corner stone to it's system. Toting the Kinect as the key to the unit being an all in one device. Also it was the manner in which they tried to promote their various policies.
Heres another reason: Xbox Kinect was MANDATORY, which means that you don't have a choice to buy broken thing or not. With PS4 you can easily Opt-out of buying it if you dont like its problems. With Xbox you have to buy it regardless.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
We'll see. But sony doesn't have a record of doing good things with its firmware.
There's still a bunch of features I'm waiting for them to expand on the ps3.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Yes, yes, we already know that the X-Box One will have barely-functional, regionalized voice commands at launch.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127297-Xbox-One-Voice-Commands-Limited-to-Five-Countries-At-Launch

Wait.

What?

PlayStation 4?

Similar issues?

And we can expect to hear even more as we get closer to launch?

My bad! :)
My understanding is that while Microsoft tires to push the voice commands and all that shait down our throat and claim that it's the next big thing and all that, while Sony just has it like an add on or an extra. So if Microsoft fails to get it right people will feel a little cheated that this was actually not the big feature it was made out to be. but when Sony fails no one really cares because it wasn't that big of a deal in the first place.