Nintendo 3DS Update Will Sync Nintendo ID With Wii U

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Nintendo 3DS Update Will Sync Nintendo ID With Wii U

Nintendo is finally taking steps towards bringing their platforms together.

Next month's system update for the Nintendo 3DS is going to be a doozy, folks. Nintendo is taking a big step, allowing players to (finally) combine their user account on Wii U and 3DS into a single Nintendo ID. Announced during this morning's Nintendo Direct livestream [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/11-13-2013/], having a single account for both platforms will allow users to use a single wallet to purchase games from both consoles. To fuse the accounts, Wii U/3DS owners just need to sign in on both platforms with the same Nintendo ID.

Nintendo IDs will be required to download free contents like apps and demos from the 3DS E-Shop. Nintendo says players can still purchase games without an ID, though.

In addition to the updated Nintendo ID, the update will bring YouTube and a portable version of Wii U's Miiverse to the 3DS.

Source: Nintendo Direct [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/11-13-2013/]

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Hmm so what will happen if I have two different id's? I think I had to make a different one on my wii u because I linked my 3ds to my friends for monster hunter one night

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This seems like it might be a step toward a new framework to tie purchases to the account rather than the console. If this is indeed the case, I'm all for it.

P.S. Thanks

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Just announce the option to buy 3DS games on the WiiU and play them on the console, (kind of) like the Gamecube in the old days. I bought more gameboy games than Gamecube games back then.

Seriously, every time a news bit like this goes up, I keep hoping they'll do it, because I will drop a ton of money. Almost faster than I would drop my pants if Chris Hemsworth walked into the room.

... And that would be fast, let me tell you.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Hopefully we will be one step closer to an account system with this update. I live in Brazil so having my stuff stolen, especially if it's small eletronic devices like phones or handheld, is a really big concern.

Mcoffey said:
So with this ID, if the worst should happen to my 3DS, I could get a new one and still download my games without buying them again? I'm very gentle with my handheld, but the impermanence of my digital purchases is a regular worry.
They said it will only be required to make an account to download free content, and that you can still buy games without an account, so I don't think they will tie the account to your purchases just yet.