Super Mario 3D World Reveals Secret Unlockable Character and Game

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Super Mario 3D World Reveals Secret Unlockable Character and Game

<youtube=RgjUiL6sKe4>​
A fifth character from a previous Mario game was revealed to be joining the party in Super Mario 3D World.

From what Nintendo has shown of its upcoming platformer Super Mario 3D World, the four playable characters are the very familiar Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad. Announced in a spoiler in a Nintendo Direct presentation today, Super Mario Galaxy's Rosalina is a fifth and unlockable character.

The process of unlocking her is unknown so far, but if you want to see more of her, as well as the other 9 "new things in Super Mario 3D World," you can check out an excerpt from today's Nintendo Direct on YouTube. If you want to experience these new things as they come up in the game, avert your eyes from the video if you want to avoid spoilers (which might be a lost cause).

The Year of Luigi still has another month and a half left to celebrate the underappreciated younger brother Mario. Super Mario 3D World includes a game within the game called Luigi Bros., a Luigi version of the original Mario Bros. arcade game. For players who have New Super Luigi U save data on their Wii U, Luigi Bros. will be available immediately in the game.

Also in Super Mario 3D World are levels where you play as Toad to collect stars without jumping, speed run levels, levels in which you attack as an army of clones, a top-down shooter stage with boomerangs, and a kart-style stage (but without the karts).

Super Mario 3D World launches Nov. 22 on the Wii U.

Source: Nintendo Direct [http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/11-13-2013/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Despite her seemingly boring as fuck VO, Roselina looks like she'll be pretty fun. Always thought she was a cool character they should use more often. Space Princess. 'Nuff said.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Looks neat. Maybe it's getting about time I pick up a Wii U.

Gotta say though, some of that new stuff is not new. Like speed runs and Mario Bros. Giving it a different palette does not make it a new game.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Fappy said:
Despite her seemingly boring as fuck VO
Her voice over sounds awful to me. She just sounds... bored more than anything.

Still, I'm actually really looking forward to this. It seems like it'll be a good deal of fun. Not sure quite yet if I'm going to get it day-1 or not, as Steam has spoiled buying games at the full $60 price to me. But I'm going to get it at some point.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Kapol said:
Fappy said:
Despite her seemingly boring as fuck VO
Her voice over sounds awful to me. She just sounds... bored more than anything.
Really, I always thought she's high as a kite D:

Still, some of these things aren't new if you played 3D land on the 3DS. Still awesome, though, seeing some of the better concepts expanded upon. Also, it seems like Mario out-sonic'd Sonic o_O

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I laughed a little when the Super Mario Kart music chimed in.

Does anybody think it was better to show it now (to increase the lackluster level of hype) or to let this all be a goofy surprise when people actually get the game?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
IGN gave 9.6 nice :D
Nice for the game, but not for IGN because they broke the embargo that is effectively placed on all gameplay footage, be it review or Let's Play, until November 19th. So it has been effectively removed and I'm sure IGN is gonna be getting an oh so fun email/call from Nintendo. XD

What's with the recent breaches of contracts when it comes to Nintendo stuff lately? 0.o

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
Fappy said:
Despite her seemingly boring as fuck VO, Roselina looks like she'll be pretty fun. Always thought she was a cool character they should use more often. Space Princess. 'Nuff said.
Not just a regular space princess. That implies she's a sci-fi character. She's a MAGICAL space princess who travels through space with MAGIC.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Neronium said:
IGN gave 9.6 nice :D
Nice for the game, but not for IGN because they broke the embargo that is effectively placed on all gameplay footage, be it review or Let's Play, until November 19th. So it has been effectively removed and I'm sure IGN is gonna be getting an oh so fun email/call from Nintendo. XD

What's with the recent breaches of contracts when it comes to Nintendo stuff lately? 0.o
Honestly, what if it was on purpose to get publicity? Maybe it's worth the fine they get for doing it. If they even get a fine, I don't know how that works.
Well then they're taking a big risk then because Nintendo could decide to blacklist them for breaching contract. I mean it's not like Nintendo needs to have IGN review their games, especially since the amount of reviewers that are around for other sites is great. I think it could've just been a slip up, but if IGN did it on purpose then they're playing a very dangerous game.