Andrew Lloyd Webber Composing Own Games

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Andrew Lloyd Webber Composing Own Games

With music games selling both software and CDs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88268-Music-Games-Driving-Music-Sales-Says-NPD], the famed composer's company is in negotiations with game publishers to create a Broadway-inspired title.

According to PaidContent [http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-lloyd-webber-breaking-in-to-games-singalong-with-evita-phantom/], the Really Useful Group, Webber's production and development company, is currently working on ideas for a series of games based on his works. Publisher Electronic Arts is rumored to be among one of the dozen game companies talking with Webber's group about distributing the titles over multiple platforms. Webber's writings of world-renowned musical numbers have been featured in The Phantom of the Opera and Jesus Christ Superstar, lending brand-recognition to the titles and ultimately translating into profitable products.

Two trends contributed to the company's decision to develop games: women becoming increasingly interested in videogames and the popularity of the music game genre.

The gameplay for the first few releases will allow players to sing along to Webber's music as characters from his shows, a mix stage performing and SingStar.

Really Useful Group digital director Douglas Glen commented, "With the video gaming audience having moved from its male-dominated roots towards a more family-oriented demographic, now is the perfect time for us to take some of the best-known names in musical entertainment in a more interactive direction."

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
A videogame of Jesus Christ Superstar. Now that Id definately rent

Though id be more inclined to expect this to result in a broadway/opera version of Singstar rather than anything interesting

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
They've got a point, my girlfriend would love a game inspired by musicals.

And when the release "Fiddler on the Roof: The Videogame" I will be all over that.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
PedroSteckecilo said:
And when the release "Fiddler on the Roof: The Videogame" I will be all over that.
I can see it as an MMO now! [Trade] LF Yenta 4 Daughtr +16age +8chr a steel!!1 PST
The town center jam sessions using the in-game music system a la Lord of the Rings Online will be EPIC. :)