South Park Spoofs PS4/Xbox One Console Wars

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
South Park Spoofs PS4/Xbox One Console Wars

The latest episode of South Park had Cartman, Kenny, Stan and Kyle splitting up in a conflict of console proportions.

I will admit to being an unabashed fan of South Park. I've been watching the show since before I was old enough to understand many of the jokes and I've loved it ever since. Not surprisingly, I've always been an especial fan of the series' various videogame spoofs. <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sqldxegdbw>Make Love, Not Warcraft easily ranks among my favorite episodes from the entire show.

That in mind, last night's new episode, Black Friday, added yet another excellent game-centric chapter to the series ever expanding retinue of episodes. Taking aim at both the Black Friday shopping holiday and the ever contentious console wars, it delivered some great moments as the South Park kids divided up to fight one another in a battle to get the best Black Friday deals on their consoles of choice.

What I found really impressive about the episode was just how well the writing captured the arguments and diatribe that often permeates fanboy feuds. "Come on Kyle, "says Cartman at one point. "Let these Sony f***s wallow in their limited voice control functionality." The fact that the episode also managed to parody Game of Thrones was also a clear bonus. Black Friday ended on a cliffhanger, so here's hoping that next week will continue with the fandom-centric humor.

Source: VG247

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Haha, the only thing missing from that was some kid shouting 'PC master race!'. I hope the comments for this article don't turn into a console war :S

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Able Seacat said:
Haha, the only thing missing from that was some kid shouting 'PC master race!'. I hope the comments for this article don't turn into a console war :S
Missed opportunity for sure, that would of cracked me up. South Park for me has always been very hit and miss, that clip was a hit. Still buzzed from the Stick of Truth trailer honestly, can't wait for that game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I feel like Stan and Kyle are me and my friend right now. Im still unsure of which system to get and hoping I will learn of something one does that just makes it no contest for me...

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Butters should represent the Wii U crowd :p

Not sure who would represent the PC master race though...

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
I'm going to assume that there will be a Wii U joke involving Butters somehow...

Mhmh

Oct 12, 2012
Oh boy, they finally delivered a great episode this season. Lots of great moments and that ending...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still try to watch this episode on southparkstudios but for some odd reason after 10min, it just stops there where a add should be. i left it for 5min but nothing happens. it still keeps saying that it will return shortly.

but yes, this part was still in and it was pretty funny how they got it pretty accurate.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Oh I hope this is a two-parter. Hell, I hope it's a three-parter with the third part being nothing but Matt and Trey just saying "console wars are futile, stupid and pointless and you're an idiot for supporting them," for 22 minutes.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The more i watch south park, the more genius i find in it. Damn my british localisation! must i use the internet for everything??

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
PC master race showing up at the end would be awesome, particularly if its someone like Butters, but he is likely going to stick to his penis storyline. Randy has mentioned getting a new PC, only problem is that the PC master race don't need to line up to get the newest product, they just wait around and crush the enemies with unrelenting force (or graphics and frame rates), they wouldn't bother with black friday.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
See, it's episodes like this where South Park is really at its best. A lot of their attempts at political or social commentary can be very hit or miss, and don't often have a lot of consistency from issue to issue. But, the episodes where it's just about the kids being kids, and taking something everyday or mundane to silly extremes, those are always a lot of fun. Those are the episodes I always enjoyed more anyway, things like "The Return of the Lord of the Rings to the Two Towers", or "The Coon Saga" or "Make Love, not Warcraft". Those are just good fun, and honestly, tend to age a good bit better than a lot of the episodes that have a clear commentary or agenda.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Makabriel said:
Parody Game of Thrones...? Yeah, I don't see it.
You must have missed the part where the President of Sony was having sex with some woman and then got angry that the XBone might have better sales then PS4 on Black Friday, which resulted in him creating the "PS4 Black Friday Bundle" Which included it, a map of Japan, and a Free Pre-order of Metal Gear Solid 5. Also, Butter's Fixation on GoT's only showing "Wieners" when their is a male gay sex scene, and Kenny's Betrayal of the XBone side over to the PS4 side.

OT: I thought that episode was awesome, and definitely the best episode of the season so far. I'm still expecting there to be a group of kids that are trying to break in for the WiiU (They'd probably be Ninjas, Samurais and Shoguns), because Matt and Trey are Video Gamers at heart, and even though they themselves might not like the WiiU, they certainly wouldn't count Nintendo out of the race.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I love the bit where Cartman and Kenny were in that old guy's garden and he yelled at them telling them he was pissed off about all the kids in costumes always coming into his yard to walk around and plan their backstabbing/treachery.

The video game based episodes are always pretty great, even if it's in passing reference, like the multi part episode where Cartman tried to freeze himself until the Wii came out, or where he made himself into Judas to get a copy of GTA Chinatown Wars, or the recent episode where all the parents had to learn to play Minecraft to unlock their TVs.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
While all the Black Friday jokes, Game of Thrones references (gotta love how Butters is obsessed with all the wieners in the show :p), and of course the console war jokes were great, my favorite joke was a one-off joke about pre-orders.

Cartman: "Kyle, pre-ordering a game means you're just paying for something that some asshole in California hasn't even finished yet. When you pre-order a game, all you're getting is a big dick in your mouth."

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
"PS4 Black Friday Bundle"
Don't you mean the "Brack Friday Bunduru"?

Fantastic episode and I can't wait for the conclusion to the story. Nice Game of Thrones references as well.