Uncharted Coming to PS4

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Uncharted Coming to PS4

Naughty Dog has released a teaser trailer for a newly announced Uncharted game coming exclusively to PlayStation 4.

During the prime of the PS3 the Uncharted games easily established themselves as one of console's flagship franchises. That said, you could understand many people expecting that the PlayStation 4 would inevitably play host to a treasure hunting, banter-laden adventure of its own. It would seem those suspicions were valid as Naughty Dog, the developer behind the franchise, has released a teaser trailer confirming that a new iteration, simply dubbed Uncharted, is in the works exclusively for the PS4.

The teaser itself isn't much more than a camera shifting its way across some old looking paper while drawings and writing appear, forming a map. While this is happening an ominous voice monologues about chains that "can never be broken" and how someone (we're assuming a plucky hero voiced by Nolan North) left him to rot in a "hellhole." While the developers haven't said who this character is, they've confirmed that the actor behind the voice is Todd Stashwick and that he will play someone in the actual game.

Beyond these details, Naughty Dog wasn't able to reveal anything more about the game. "Our goal is to continue what we've done in previous console generations and once again deliver the best in storytelling, performance capture, technical innovation and graphics on the PS4," said the studio. While we have little doubt that Naughty Dog will deliver on this ambition, we can't help but be curious about where this new game will take the series. We won't spoil anything, but Uncharted 3 did a fair job of tying up Nathan Drake's arc rather nicely. Our suspicion, in turn, is that Mr. Stashwick's character is going to be seeking revenge on Drake for some past slight, giving the hero an excuse to throw his perpetually perfect hair into the fray once again.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
In other news: dogs bark and pigs still lack aerodynamic capabilities.

Final Fantasy XVII is also planned for Playstation as well as a new Dynasty Warriors.

Then again I also enjoy watching folks milk franchises because I enjoy them. I might not enjoy Playstation exclusive titles, because I do not own and I refuse to own one, but I'm happy to see them flesh out.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm really kinda done with Uncharted and I was happy to see Naughty Dog move away from it. My only hope is that this game is handled by ND's B-team and that the real talent is working on something else incredible, like with Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I've still to finish the third one. It's a good series, but that combat just sucks dead dog balls. It's just a pain that kills the games for me.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us.
I wouldn't ever put those two in the same sentence, especially when it comes to storytelling. There's a ridiculous amount of plot holes, inconsistencies, and poor pacing in Uncharted 3.

But I also agree with you that I'm just done with Uncharted as a hole. Got the 3 games platinum'd and even though I just need to go through Golden Abyss on Crushing, everytime I pick it up, I put it down 10 minutes later cause I'm already bored. Uncharted gave us 2 GREAT games (1&2), despite what I just said about Golden Abyss; it's easily a Top 3 game on the Vita and I'd recommend it to anyone that is not bored of Uncharted to pick it up. And one rushed mess called Uncharted 3.

I'm not normally so quick to throw a good franchise out the window, but these games are all pretty much exactly the same and I doubt this one will change anything of significance.

Calling it now, "Uncharted" Plot in short:

- Lost ancient artifact
- Drake & Friends race for artifact with antagonist that always has a private army
- Artifact turns out to be evil and must be destroyed or forever buried
- Drake hooks up w/ whoever the mainstay chick is

Heard it here first.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I love the series. It gives me the thrill of adventure more than a lot of open world games do.

But what more is there to see? Central American jungle, Turkey, war torn city in Nepal, Himalayan mountains, Syria, Sahara desert...

Also, Naughty Dog said that Drake is in mid-30's at the time of Uncharted 3. He's getting to be an old man..

Still.. I'll be cautiously optimistic for this one.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Skops said:
Casual Shinji said:
I wouldn't ever put those two in the same sentence, especially when it comes to storytelling. There's a ridiculous amount of plot holes, inconsistencies, and poor pacing in Uncharted 3.
And there isn't in The Last Of Us?

Seriously though for all the build up, it's just another zombie game, with a female protagonist that can't do a thing for herself

Skops said:
Calling it now, "Uncharted" Plot in short:

- Lost ancient artifact
- Drake & Friends race for artifact with antagonist that always has a private army
- Artifact turns out to be evil and must be destroyed or forever buried
- Drake hooks up w/ whoever the mainstay chick is

Heard it here first.
Nah I call:
-Drake settles down with Elena
-Whilst she becomes lead anchorwoman for channel 4 news (you stay classy) Drake starts his own cooking show

It's kinda like Cooking Mama but with shotguns!

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
mysecondlife said:
I love the series. It gives me the thrill of adventure more than a lot of open world games do.

But what more is there to see? Central American jungle, Turkey, war torn city in Nepal, Himalayan mountains, Syria, Sahara desert...

Also, Naughty Dog said that Drake is in mid-30's at the time of Uncharted 3. He's getting to be an old man..

Still.. I'll be cautiously optimistic for this one.
A new Uncharted game should be set in Norway. Spin it into some ancient norse mythology, and have Drake travel across the country. Think about it; the scenery in Norway is extremely beautiful and diverse. The fjords,lush green valleys, glaciers, northern lights, midnight sun... I really wonder why no game developer has really done this setting yet (in a modern time). You could extend it, have him go to Greenland (vulcanos, geysirs) even over to the north of UK, as there is loads of historical places there, plus you have the whole viking connection.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Skops said:
Casual Shinji said:
No, what I meant was that while the B-team was working on Uncharted 3 the real talent was working on The Last of Us. They'd been working on that since Uncharted 2 (the only good game in the series).
putowtin said:
Skops said:

Seriously though for all the build up, it's just another zombie game, with a female protagonist that can't do a thing for herself
You mean to tell me that whole Winter chapter was Ellie being helpless?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@Elamdri:
I just never 'got' the series.
I've tried play though them all, but nothing ever grabbed me like the original (or rebooted) Tomb Raider did.

Drake feels like he got off the set of Jersey Shore, minus the accent, and the game play also felt like an inferior version of other games.

Like Dante's Inferno was to God of War.
:/

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
putowtin said:

I assume you're trying to pick a fight but regardless I'd love to hear some evidence for that. I mean despite the fact that Ellie is actually a 14 year old child she exhibits almost as much ability/ capability as Joel and considerably more morality than he has. I get that there are flaws with TLoU but portraying female characters as helpeless is NOT one of them.

In this part of the game Joel is trying to find Ellie the whole time this fights is going on (as a side note Joel is only even capable of doing this because Ellie nursed him back to health and defended/ provided for them both. If Ellie was meant to be helpless he could have arrived just in time and saved her. Instead she kills a man twice her size with his own machete, even after being kicked to the ground, berated, and pinned by him, while Joel arrives just late. Yes she gets upset after this but only for about 10 seconds then she's on the move again and she never mentions David after that. I very much doubt you or I would recover from nearly being raped and/ or violently murdered and/or cannibalised that quickly.

Anyway on topic Naughty Dog have been busy. New single player DLC for TLoU, new Uncharted and possibly a new Crash game (shame there's no news on Jak and Daxter though). This trailer sounds way more intense than the previous games, I wonder if they're going to be giving the Uncharted storyline a bit more depth. Although as long as Victor 'Goddamn' Sullivan makes an appearance I'm sold. Now I just have to figure out a way to play it without wasting my money on a PS4.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Battenberg said:
putowtin said:

I assume you're trying to pick a fight .
No I'm not, but I respect everyones opinion, so if you like it, good for you. I just didn't like how the chracter was writen, an yes by the end of iit, she had matured, but by that point I'd had enough of the whole experience

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
putowtin said:
Battenberg said:
putowtin said:

I assume you're trying to pick a fight .
No I'm not, but I respect everyones opinion, so if you like it, good for you. I just didn't like how the chracter was writen, an yes by the end of iit, she had matured, but by that point I'd had enough of the whole experience
Fair enough but for the record not liking a character's writing isn't the same as that character being helpless and I'm yet to see anything approaching a coherent, evidence-based argument that Ellie or any other female in TLoU is in any way powerless. I would argue that you weren't really _meant_ to like any of the characters as they're all dicks at some point during the game, in the same way you're not meant to like how Martin Walker was written in Spec Ops.

Also I've just realised where I recognise the actor from the Uncharted trailer - Eli from Heroes. I mean the show was near dead by the time he was in it but I did think he was a pretty decent character and he does have a slightly villainous look to him which could be used in his character's design.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Of all the IP Naughty Dog have done, this is the least surprising choice, but also the one that has me the least enthusiastic about it.

I'd take a new Jak & Daxter over this any day.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
I'm really kinda done with Uncharted and I was happy to see Naughty Dog move away from it. My only hope is that this game is handled by ND's B-team and that the real talent is working on something else incredible, like with Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us.
Same. I liked Uncharted, but more of it would be waste of Naughty Dogs talent. I'd like to see more games like the Last of Us (but not necessarily a sequel)

Apr 28, 2008
Kind of wish they did what they did in the past and make a new IP for a new console generation. I like Uncharted, but I'd have like something new.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Lol was beginning to think that Uncharted 3 would be the last one since it tied up everything nicely and it seemed that he would stop being a treasure hunter and settle down.

Silly me.

But would probably pick it up just for the laughs and thrill.