Super Smash Bros. Will Have Super Mario Galaxy Stage

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Super Smash Bros. Will Have Super Mario Galaxy Stage

The new Super Mario Galaxy stage will require players to use new tactics when fighting.

In a picture posted to Miiverse, Masahiro Sakurai, director of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, revealed a Super Mario Galaxy stage. The upcoming Super Smash Bros. game will be the first to feature Super Mario Galaxy.

Playing Super Mario Galaxy for the first time meant rethinking the importance of gravity in Mario because the game had multiple types of gravity. "The pull of gravity emanates from the center of the planet," Sakurai wrote of the Super Mario Galaxy stage, "so this will require using brand-new tactics."

The screen posted to Miiverse is of the Wii U version, and because of the differences between 3DS and Wii U, not every stage in the Wii U version will make it to the 3DS, so there's possibility the stage may not make it to both platforms. Cross-platform is also not supported.

The screen only shows a portion of the planet combatants are fighting on, but it would be cool to run around the whole planet. With the Super Mario Galaxy stage confirmed, could we get Rosalina as a playable character?

Nintendo hasn't forgotten about Super Mario Galaxy. Two games have been made for the series thus far, and Shigeru Miyamoto said in a recent "Iwata Asks" article that Nintendo hasn't ruled out making another Super Mario Galaxy game. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129643-Nintendo-Hasnt-Ruled-Out-Making-Another-Super-Mario-Galaxy-Says-Miyamoto]

Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U still has no announced release date, and there should be several more fighters left to be announced. The most recent playable character announced was Fire Emblem's Marth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129407-Marth-Returns-In-Next-Super-Smash-Bros].

Source: Miiverse [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnYdfxmSw]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That sounds utterly fabulous and bonkers. It'd be good if there's chunks torn out of the planet so there's still the option of falling "off-screen" (i.e. into the core) and dying that way; but also good if it was a unique map where the only way off was 'up'.

I hope it makes it to the 3DS version and will be sad if it doesn't, but will understand.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Teoes said:
That sounds utterly fabulous and bonkers. It'd be good if there's chunks torn out of the planet so there's still the option of falling "off-screen" (i.e. into the core) and dying that way; but also good if it was a unique map where the only way off was 'up'.

I hope it makes it to the 3DS version and will be sad if it doesn't, but will understand.
Unlikely as they said the 3ds version will have stages from the ds and 3ds mainly.

OT: This looks like a particularly fun map if it changes the rules dramatically like galaxy.

LunaticPanda

Sep 12, 2011
This is just too perfect an opportunity to pass up.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=052608

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I saw this coming a mile away. What I really want to see is the Megaman level. They better have one.

For some reason I feel if they make a WiiFit stage, it's going to be similar to Wario's in Brawl, just following exercises instead. Hopefully it's not.

Edit: Found I missed he Megaman stage in the trailer.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
LunaticPanda said:
This is just too perfect an opportunity to pass up.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=052608
I literally came here to link that same comic. Great minds think alike?

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Nazulu said:
I saw this coming a mile away. What I really want to see is the Megaman level. They better have one.

For some reason I feel if they make a WiiFit stage, it's going to be similar to Wario's in Brawl, just following exercises instead. Hopefully it's not.
Um... there IS going to be a Megaman level. It's actually IN the Megaman trailer. Yellow Devil actually shows up at the end of the trailer IN the Megaman stage. Might want to give that trailer another look, man.

OT: Unsurprising, but definitely welcome. Honestly, I was a bit surprised that a Galaxy stage didn't show up in the last game.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Leemaster777 said:
Nazulu said:

Um... there IS going to be a Megaman level. It's actually IN the Megaman trailer. Yellow Devil actually shows up at the end of the trailer IN the Megaman stage. Might want to give that trailer another look, man.
Yep, somehow missed that, or completely forgot about it. Looks pretty meh, though I like to see Yellow Devil there since he was such an awesome boss. Thanks for letting me know