Pokemon X and Y Sound Creation Had to be Reinvented

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pokemon X and Y Sound Creation Had to be Reinvented

Pokemon X and Y has a lot of changes compared to previous games in the series, but the changes include much more than just updated visuals.

Longtime composer Shota Kageyama stepped into a larger role in sound creation and design for Pokemon X and Y, taking over for director Junichi Masuda. Previously working on HeartGold and SoulSilver, Black and White, and Black 2 and White 2, Kageyama was responsible for leading the recording of 3000 to 4000 Pokemon cries, coming up with melodies, and harnessing the 3DS for prettier music.

"I used to rely on Masuda a lot, asking him, 'What do you think about this?' and so on," Kageyama said, "but here I had to take responsibility for myself. I had to start by analyzing all the music in the series and reminding myself of why it's the way it is, then write a report for Masuda on how I think the sound should work, what direction it should take."

Kageyama was overwhelmed by the amount of work necessary for new sounds in Pokemon X and Y, but is thrilled with the results. "The process wasn't without some level of nervousness for me," Kageyama said. "Still, there's something like 3000 or 4000 voices overall used in Pokemon-Amie, which I tell you was a huge pain to do. Just recording all of those cries was an enormous process... It's far more expressive than it's ever been, and I think it's a real evolution, something you'll definitely want to take out the headphones for."

Interacting with Pokemon in the game's Pokemon-Amie feature is enjoyable because of how interactive the Pokemon seem. The amount of work Kageyama and his crew put in had to have been worth it.

Source: Polygon [http://www.famitsu.com/]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Probably would of been easier to use the Anime voices to be honest, instead of just cries, Pikachu does it, why not others? Even if it's just the starters.

But still, the updated sounds to many gen 1 and 2 mons is welcome, hearing a Voltorb vs a current gen mon was kinda painful to listen to...

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I'd guess they wouldn't be able to rip enough audio straight from the anime, in which case bringing in a load of voice actors to say a handful of words would have probably been excessive,
That said, I prefer the vocal 'pika-chuu' over the shrill midi style 'shwark' the games use.

Well done to him anyway, it's nice to know each pokemon has it's own voice in the amie game.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
All that work on Pokemon-Amie... And yet It can't read my fucking face when I go wide eyed or wink or smile...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Sounds that go unheard because the 3DS XL has rather quiet speakers and headphone output, blargh.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Snotnarok said:
Sounds that go unheard because the 3DS XL has rather quiet speakers and headphone output, blargh.
Wait really? Weird. The plain 3DS isn't like that. I have a normal 3DS and I can tell you it is loud.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
And then they fucked the painstakingly crafted new consistency up by giving pikachu the cry in which it says "pikachu" because it's pikachu or something which is the most retarded thing about the pokemon anime ever and should've stayed there.
I like it a lot better if they sound like monsters.
3rd rate voice actors angrily saying "Garchomp" over and over, then calling it a day to cut audio costs does not a dragon make.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
As long as they haven't changed Reshiram's cries I will be fine, It really speaks to me(pun sorta intended). They really made some of the gen 6 versions really lame. I'll miss the good old days when Sigilyph had a cool cry.

I'm really glad they didn't put any other anime voices in the game, especially since most of the legendary Pokemon in the anime have Godzilla monster voices. Plus, the newer Pokemon have better voices in general, I can understand updating some of the older voices like they did in X and Y.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The work paid off. I like having my pokemon feel like having a variety of sounds. It makes them all actually feel alive.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I'm not surprised that it took so long to sort out Pokemon Amie. Given just how many pokemon there are now, when I started playing Pokemon Y I thought "Nah, there's no way each pokemon could have individual animations and noises for this minigame that some people may well not even play". But what do ya know.