Candy Crush One Year On, Half A Billion Served

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Candy Crush One Year On, Half A Billion Served

Yes, that Candy Crush half a billion player base includes you. Don't try to deny it.

It's been one year since King's Candy Crush Saga [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125139-Candy-Crush-Saga-Propels-Its-Developer-Ahead-Of-Zynga] came along and crowned itself monarch of the puzzle game realm, and since then over half a billion Facebook and mobile device owners have installed it. Yes, that includes you; don't try to deny it. In fact, if you use Facebook it's impossible to avoid the thing, as 1 in 23 Facebook users have it in their game roster. It's celebrations time over at King, where not even the notorious level 65 - with its firk ding blast chocolate - can dent goodwill.

"Fans can look forward to even more exciting new Candy Crush Saga content over the coming months," says King's Tommy Palm, "including an exciting new twist to the game." It's not exactly a game you give your life to, more like something you play when waiting for the commercials to end or travelling on public transport, but over 150 billion individual games have been played so far, with thousands more being added to that total every single day.

Now, if you'll excuse me, level 147 has held me back for far too long. Blasted jelly!

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Never played and never will -- won't play anything that shows up on both the "top free app" and "top grossing app" lists on principle.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

The goddamn sound that I can hear when others in my family play it is enough to put me off, and that's before the fact that it's a Facebook game.

caleb451

Nov 19, 2010
Wait, this thing has been out for a year? I hadn't heard of it until like a month or two ago, when they started advertising on TV.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
McMarbles said:
This... thing has assimilated my mom. No one is safe.
It's a plague man.. Stock up on supplies and head for the basement and lock every door and window behind you. We gotta wait till the epidemic is over.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I've watched from across the room as my roommate plays this... thing... and I can only wonder why (it looks like a simpler version of Bejeweled... which I primarily know from its minigame version in Plants vs Zombies... the last thing Bejeweled needed was to be simpler).

Of course, I don't have a facebook account (no use for such a thing) or any touchscreen devices (I despise the interface), so I have no method to play the game in any case.