Bubsy 3D Remake Nauseates, Educates

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Bubsy 3D Remake Nauseates, Educates

You just can't handle the 'tude.

Mascot platformers were the muck-grey shooters of the 90's. When publishers saw the piles of currency that Mario and Sonic regularly collected, the market was soon flooded with cartoon clones. No character better represented this paint-by-numbers marketing than Bubsy, a wacky cartoon cat who tried way too hard to be cool. What little goodwill Bubsy had was destroyed by Bubsy 3D, a game that makes regular appearances on "top 10 worst" lists. Now, an art collective has decided to [a href=http://bubsy3d.com/]resurrect[/a] the totally tubular feline just in time for his 18th birthday. Oh, and it's supposed to be educational, too.

Unfortunately for purists, the unity-based [a href=http://bubsy3d.com/]remake[/a] takes some liberties with the original. Fortunately for surrealists, those liberties have Bubsy take a trip to the [a href=http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/james-turrell-retrospective]James Turrell Retrospective[/a] exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. It's sometime after that when things get weird. Honestly, you'll just have to experience it for yourself.

Very few characters made the transition to 3D gracefully. While Mario did things right, Bubsy did things definitely wrong. It wasn't just bad, it was an unnatural abomination whose unholy aura causes nausea or worse. [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCUneosjw4]Video footage[/a] of it has been known to cause possession by chaos gods. Thus, it's a great platform for the [a href=http://arcanekids.com/manifesto]Arcane Kids[/a], a game-based art collective that holds that "bad is more interesting than good."

Source: [a href=http://bubsy3d.com/]Arcane Kids[/a]

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I remember my first time playing Mario 64. It was borderline transcendental.

I also remember my first time playing Bubsy 3D. I think I was around thirteen years old when it came out. It mainly consisted me of deciding the game was utter shit about ten minutes in. No sense of place, no consistent theme (other than absolute wretchedness) - and let's not forget the Gold X Award micro-scandal...

It's sad, really. Every big shift in the industry comes with its lot of honestly enthusiastic devs, but we're also liable to see cash-grab attempts as the PS4 and Xbone rear their heads. It happened when 3D became the norm, it'll happen again.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
If your going to remake a shit game. At least give the thing the honor of turning it into something decent. With that said, at the very least the color palette isn't straight from a 90's color theory nightmare.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm old enough to have played the original Bubsy game when it came out; it was a decent (if somewhat difficult to control) platformer with a fairly banal mascot. I also remember the reviews for the 3D version, and how it was absolutely flattened by reviewers far and wide.

IamLEAM1983 said:
...and let's not forget the Gold X Award micro-scandal...
...but that I never even heard of until now. Wow. The depths some people will sink to.

IamLEAM1983 said:
It's sad, really. Every big shift in the industry comes with its lot of honestly enthusiastic devs, but we're also liable to see cash-grab attempts as the PS4 and Xbone rear their heads. It happened when 3D became the norm, it'll happen again.
That, unfortunately, is universal. Any time something new comes along, there's the chumps who'll try to score a quick buck off of it.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
That has to be the most pretentious thing i have ever sat through, when i got to the museum and saw the art peaces and how the text was fawning over and talking about how deep each "art" peace was i was waiting for a punchline that never came, although i enjoyed the riding a coffin down the slide part that was rather metal.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Bubsy's a piece of shit. It was by far the worst Genesis game I ever owned as a kid. To this day, I still grimace every time I spot it in my collection.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
What could possibly go wrong?

*Plays game*

Buh...I just...whuh...

I can't make up my mind if this is better or worse than the original.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
That has to be the most pretentious thing i have ever sat through, when i got to the museum and saw the art peaces and how the text was fawning over and talking about how deep each "art" peace was i was waiting for a punchline that never came, although i enjoyed the riding a coffin down the slide part that was rather metal.
the game is the joke

as referred to above, it's tim and eric esque, but since it does not make any attempt to point out that they are actually being terrible as a joke, it succeeds, although not without the cost of your brain cells

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
I'm old enough to have played the original Bubsy game when it came out; it was a decent (if somewhat difficult to control) platformer with a fairly banal mascot. I also remember the reviews for the 3D version, and how it was absolutely flattened by reviewers far and wide.

IamLEAM1983 said:
...and let's not forget the Gold X Award micro-scandal...
...but that I never even heard of until now. Wow. The depths some people will sink to.

There's also the fact that the case art has (falsified) accolades from EGM and PSExtreme:

That's right; they went there.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
The last Bubsy game I played was Claws encounter of the furred kind for the mega drive, I wasn't even aware that a 3D one had been made, or that he was being resurrected. The 3D one looks terrible, why would people want a remake of that?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
weirdguy said:
FogHornG36 said:
the game is the joke

as referred to above, it's tim and eric esque, but since it does not make any attempt to point out that they are actually being terrible as a joke, it succeeds, although not without the cost of your brain cells
I know what makes tim and eric funny, this isn't it, its pretentious crap, trying to be philosophical with the ideas of Art and making "deep" messages about capitalism, and life.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
weirdguy said:
FogHornG36 said:
the game is the joke

I know what makes tim and eric funny, this isn't it, its pretentious crap, trying to be philosophical with the ideas of Art and making "deep" messages about capitalism, and life.
I think you might have missed the joke. Yes, it's stating all of these philosophical and pretentious things about a mostly empty art museum. I don't think you're intended to take any of it seriously. I can't help but think of this all as parody.