SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow Expansion Out Now

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow Expansion Out Now

The Cities of Tomorrow [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127984-SimCitys-Futuristic-Expansion-Pack-Touches-Down-in-November] expansion will set you back $29.99.

Remember SimCity, that simulation game that was horrendously broken on launch and made everyone think twice about always-online DRM? Well, if you're a "forgive and forget" kind of guy, Maxis has just released a rather substantial expansion pack for the game: official Origin store [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127984-SimCitys-Futuristic-Expansion-Pack-Touches-Down-in-November].

In Cities of Tomorrow, players can unlock two new city specializations, create towering multi-zone MegaTowers, and develop new research technologies options based on real-world technology such as Mag Levs that rise above the city streets and small buildings, futurized vehicles, and service drones.

If you already own the base SimCity game, purchasing the expansion will grant you the "Skyclops Coaster Crown" roller coaster attachment for your MegaTowers. There's also a bundle for new players, that includes the SimCity and the Cities of Tomorrow expansion for $70.

Is this enough to get you back into SimCity? Do you think the $30 price tag is justified?

Source: Origin [https://www.origin.com/en-gb/store/buy/182095/mac-pc-download/addon-ANW.html?__utma=119042845.1787143267.1381832480.1383134059.1384510381.3&__utmb=119042845.2.10.1384510381&__utmc=119042845&__utmx=-&__utmz=119042845.1384510381.3.3.utmcsr=t.co|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/VH5nS7oQBG&__utmv=-&__utmk=126842957&referringsite=ea]

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
No, I will not buy this.

$30 is too much for both together. I am not going to pay EA to violate my computer.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
And they still haven't fixed that it's broken on the most basic levels?

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
You know if this was like $10 - $15 I might consider it.
It does seem to add in quite a few new elements.

But $30 is too much for me to spend on this.
Origin has been doing some decent sales every known and again, this might come down to a better price later.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
You hear that EA? that is all that lost revenue because you decided Simcity needed to be online only for some reason.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Once again EA plans backfire by making another overpriced DLC, and I refuse to call it an expansion because it doesn't expand the game in any way.

If it was $10 it might be worth a look but when $30 can get you Xcom: Enemy Within, that actually expands the core game with lots of good content, it makes this look even more pathetic than it already does. Way to fail again EA *golf claps*

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Nurb said:
And they still haven't fixed that it's broken on the most basic levels?
Decided to give it a try again and to be fair they seem to have fixed the traffic problems and wonder construction does sync properly with every city now. Of course that shit should have worked from day one so better late then never I suppose.

With this new dlc I wonder how many new bugs are gonna pop up because of it, and just how many months it will take to get the game working properly again :/

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh my... the ideas here are so good. Building up into the air. Having secondary transit roads up in the sky? Drones that can perform basic tasks to aid your emergency services? All good ideas...

To bad the game in the trailer doesn't exist... the city shown is already larger than any city you can make. Once they stop with the online bullshit. Stop pulling our legs about the size limit being there so that PC's from 2003 can still run it and that PC's built in 2013 would melt if they ever gave us SimCity 4 sized cities. Then maybe I'll come back to the game.

Right now? I'm not interested in purchasing more possible bugs when I don't even enjoy the fucking base game. Disable the regions EA/Maxis and then the money starts flowing again. Oh who am I kidding, hordes of idiots will go out to purchase this day one destroying any and all consumer leverage.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Is the pathing in the game still dumb as shit? Have any of the basic underlying problems of the game been fixed?

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
If they bundle the game and all dlc together and they offer it for 50? or your local equivalent, then maybe I might consider it. I think I'll still have to wait some time for that to happen. Right now I don't have a good enough rig to run it at an acceptable quality anyway.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Do you think the $30 price tag is justified?
Um .... No. That is not justifiable. Considering it doesn't have ANY of the things the fans have asked for; off-line mode, subways, city ordinances, larger city plots, ability to have multiple entrances into your city to prevent traffic jams, one-way streets, allowing user made content, ability to create your own region, ability to edit the terrain, smarter / wiser AI, I could go on.

Tell you what, EA, you give us what WANT, what we KNOW can exist in game (I don't always agree with hackers, but I love when they call "bulls**t" on your lies. "We can't give you bigger cities" - "But the game is coded is allow for them" "We can't give you an off-line mode." - "But the game's code is designed to support it.") and THEN we will buy your expansions, the crap content we don't NEED to make the game fun.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Alorxico said:
Um .... No. That is not justifiable. Considering it doesn't have ANY of the things the fans have asked for; off-line mode, subways, city ordinances, larger city plots, ability to have multiple entrances into your city to prevent traffic jams, one-way streets, allowing user made content, ability to create your own region, ability to edit the terrain, smarter / wiser AI, I could go on.
Oh come now. EA only made the game THEY wanted to make, and it's time we respected their "artistic integrity" for doing so; instead of pandering to those stupid, whiny, self-entitled "customers". If they don't like hilarious "zen" traffic patterns, 10 dollar DLC buildings, and "streamlined" (removed) features from the previous Sim City games, then they need to learn to love the ART as EA does!

Philistines.

(Seriously, I question the kind of brain damage would be necessary to make spending EVEN MORE MONEY on SimCity '13 look appealing. EA and Maxis flat out lied to the public in an effort to get pre-orders and sales, while the game they delivered wasn't any better than what previous Sim Cities offered even ignoring the Always Online idiocy.)