PlayStation 4 Sells a Million Units in 24 Hours

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
PlayStation 4 Sells a Million Units in 24 Hours

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yosp/status/402014678244524032]Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida confirmed that over a million North Americans are playing the latest PlayStation console.

If you follow gaming industry news, you probably had a good idea <a href=www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10739-PlayStation-4-Hardware-Overview>that the PlayStation 4 would sell well, at least initially. Preorder demand was so high <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125776-GameStop-Puts-a-Cap-on-PS4-Pre-Orders>that many retailers put them on hold entirely, while Sony predicted <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129598-Sonys-Confident-It-Will-Sell-3-Mill-PS4s-By-Years-End>that 3 million units would be sold by New Years Day. Now actual numbers are trickling in, and it appears that Sony's prediction was warranted: In its first 24 hours, over a million units were sold in North America alone, a figure that will dramatically increase with Europe's launch on November 29th.

Of course, the successful launch has led to console shortages, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129183-Walmart-Taking-Online-Preorders-for-Xbox-One-and-PS4-Bundles>with many preorders not arriving until Christmas or even January 2014. Regardless, Sony is well on its way to reaching <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129598-Sonys-Confident-It-Will-Sell-3-Mill-PS4s-By-Years-End>5 million sales by the end of the fiscal year. Whether that success continues this console generation remains to be seen, especially with competition from the Xbox One and Steam Machines, but it's still a promising start.

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/yosp/status/402014678244524032>Twitter, via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/17/5114166/ps4-sells-more-than-1m-units-in-north-america-on-launch-day>Polygon

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
It's a good start. I hope both ps4 and xbox one are successful, as competition generally means better games.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That is impressive... Must resist in asking how many got sent back due to wobbly console, bad ports and giving up the ghost when released from it's packaging.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
This actually makes me sad.

Not that I dislike it (IMO PS3 was the best console this gen and PS4 is looking the most attractive out of the 3), but so many people are putting hundreds of dollars into a product that wont have many worthwhile games for months (pretty much just Knack and Killzone, both of which are said to be meh), a product that is not guaranteed to have games a year or two after the launch (like the Wii U now) and a product that's bound to have hardware issues (PS1, PS2 and PS3 all had them and from the sounds of things PS4 is no different).

Do so many people really want to pay the maximum price for all that and not just wait a little?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
ComicsAreWeird said:
It's a good start. I hope both ps4 and xbox one are successful, as competition generally means better games.
Not really, competition means timed exclusives, and huge marketing projects.

The game developer teams themselves won't magically grow artistic skills based on whether their works are being sold on one, two, or three consoles.

Right now, the best thing for gaming would be if one of the consoles could stay in the game, and that would handle the shiny cinematic AAA action game side of things, with the PC (with or without steambox) as a rival option for ports, indies, and countercultural products.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I was not sure how that actually compared to last gen launch but after checking it out... Wow. I think this is an indication of how gaming has grown over this last generation. I won't be surprised it the Xbox One has similar numbers.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Ouch.

A good part of this may just be that the Gaming Community has expanded hence more console sales in general, but that's really painful for the xBone.

Remember, this is just NA sales. The PS4 hasn't launched worldwide yet.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
Ouch.

A good part of this may just be that the Gaming Community has expanded hence more console sales in general, but that's really painful for the xBone.

Remember, this is just NA sales. The PS4 hasn't launched worldwide yet.
Indeed, it doesn't launch in Europe until the 29th, and it's not launching in Japan until February of next year.

OT: Well that's good for Sony. I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting a PS4 once they patch in the HDMI recording and some of the games I want come out for it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
munx13 said:

Not that I dislike it (IMO PS3 was the best console this gen and PS4 is looking the most attractive out of the 3), but so many people are putting hundreds of dollars into a product that wont have many worthwhile games for months (pretty much just Knack and Killzone, both of which are said to be meh), a product that is not guaranteed to have games a year or two after the launch (like the Wii U now) and a product that's bound to have hardware issues (PS1, PS2 and PS3 all had them and from the sounds of things PS4 is no different).

Do so many people really want to pay the maximum price for all that and not just wait a little?
Seriously? Why the hell are you sad to see good sales, if noone buys then no 3rd party games are made for it, just like the Wii U. PlayStation normally have a low failure rate, if I remember the PS3 was only 3%, compared to the 360s 40 odd. No system has a 100% no failure rate, but Sony keeps it damn low historically.

Edit: fixed smart phone auto correct.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Considering this is NA which is the traditional Xbone stronghold and a major focus of MS (fantasy football anyone?) this is big news.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Very good to hear, if Destiny was a day one release I would have purchased a PS4 as well. I just don't feel that the Xbone has enough for me to justify their price, with the next Uncharted announced just a few days ago and MGSV on the horizon I see absolutely no reason to go with anything else.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, if you take about three hundred people out of North America, any three hundred people, chances are at least one of them has a PS4 right now. And I'd imagine there's going to be twice as many of them by Christmas. Man, once it actually gets some games, the PS4 is going to be doing pretty well.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
And I'm two of them :D

Considering that both of mine are int he closet waiting for christmas though... I don't think 1 mill sales equals 1 mill playing.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
munx13 said:

Can you imagine if everyone thought like you and didn't buy console at launch? It certainly wouldn't help Sony's ironing out whatever the hardware issue is.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
While that is impressive, I'm a little disappointed that so many people were so eager to rush out and buy the thing despite all the news about all the stuff the thing WON'T do. In fact I believe the news about all the stuff it won't do outweighed the news about stuff it will do.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
While that is impressive, I'm a little disappointed that so many people were so eager to rush out and buy the thing despite all the news about all the stuff the thing WON'T do. In fact I believe the news about all the stuff it won't do outweighed the news about stuff it will do.
It plays games out of the box and is focused on games, exactly what people are crying out for now people ***** that it's MP3 playback is set for later release due to them focusing on the game side and people still *****. Get over it.

This community (gaming in general not the escapist specifically) is getting pathetic, I miss the days when people were positive about new consoles. Yes xbox one is a fuck up and I hope they fail for what they tried to do but that's Microsoft in a nutshell right now.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
A single tear ran down Nintendo's face when they heard about this. Have they even reached a million WiiU's sold in NA yet?

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
On the one hand a prosperous launch will likely equal better games in the future and lead to all round better console gaming for the next gen which is undoubtedly a good thing. On the other hand there have been serious issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.834219-Playstation-4-unhappy-costumers] with a lot of consoles not working and several features missing that were present in previous consoles and these sorts of figures will likely send Sony the message that this is perfectly ok which I disagree with.

Then again, as several people have kindly pointed out, no one's forcing me to buy one and therefore I have no right to express any kind of reservations about the PS4... apparently.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Not to take the piss but considering how Sony lost money for every PS3 unit sale for years, I have to admit I'm damned curious if this large sales margin actually means that Sony has made any money at all so far. Large sales numbers with only a small return on their investment, or worse no profit or even a loss per each sale does not a triumph make. I'm really itching to find out what the manufacturing cost vs sales price profit actually is.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Why be disappointed? Because we are stupid and go out and buy it early, that means games will be made for it, so when you actually come around to buying it, there will be good things to play. People like myself who bum rush it to grab the console day one make the console relevant, meaning it will get games in the future.