Battlefield 4 Patch Coming Next Week

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Battlefield 4 Patch Coming Next Week

After an error-filled weekend, DICE is trying to release a Battlefield 4 patch as quickly as possible.

The last few days have been a little rough for Battlefield 4 players. Over the weekend, several newly minted PlayStation 4 owners discovered that a glitch was preventing them from joining 64-player matches, and a DD0S attack has been causing connection issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129725-Battlefield-4-Claims-DD0S-Attack-Is-Killing-Its-Servers] for PC and console players. However, DICE, the developer behind Battlefield 4, is attempting to fix the issues as quickly as possible, but patience is recommended.

"We are aware of the frequent crashes in Battlefield 4 on PlayStation 4," said a company spokesperson on the Battlefield Blog [http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065217944685108/]. "We are hard at work identifying these issues and are hoping to get a game update out early next week. Stay tuned for more details as we can confirm them, and thanks for your patience!"

Unfortunately, this means that playing Battlefield 4 may continue to be frustrating until next week, but many of the problems should subside before the patch is released. DICE is still working on the game's server-side issues, and as those problems are cleared up, players will experience fewer connection headaches.

However, the Xbox One is scheduled to hit the market on Friday, which probably means that another surge of Battlefield players is just around the corner. Hopefully Microsoft's new console won't throw another wrench into DICE's machinery.

Source: Battlefield Blog [http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065217944685108/]

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Oh DICE, please find some way to get out from under EA. I somehow doubt it is the DICE side of things that is pushing out unfinished games.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
See, this is why I didn't buy a PS4 on launch day. Video games these days usually take a few weeks to iron out all of their bugs, and given the sparse list of launch titles, there's just not enough out there yet that works and is worth playing.

That said, I am really jealous of anyone who gets to play Battlefield 4 right now.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Worst thing about all the bugs and crashes is that it's stealing attention and masking all the other significant issues.

The netcode is absolutely horrid. Worst I've ever seen in a game. Map design has taken steps back in favor of gimmicky 'levelution'. Various vehicles and weapons are (as expected) unbalanced and broken. Certain game modes are made pretty frigging awful either by level design or spawns. Don't even get me started on the blinding/headache causing visual distortion that DICE somehow added in with their last patch that is caused by commanders using the UAV.

I cannot help but see Titan Fall and to a lesser extent Extraction, stealing massive a number of players away from both BF4 and Ghosts come next year.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I haven't been able to finish a single match yet. It's deeply annoying, but I feel more sorry for the developers. They have to work with someone looking over their shoulder and rushing them through testing, then when the game has its inevitable troubled launch their fans are furious with them and nearly every update on Battlelog is replied to by hundreds of people venting their frustration at DICE and demanding that they fix the game. Come each new patch, some new weapon will no doubt be called "useless" or "stupidly OP" and the developers will once again get to work changing values dramatically in the hopes of trying to please as many people as possible, or at least what seems like the majority based on the strength of negative feedback from a particular group.

I don't envy their position. That sort of working environment breaks people and there is only going to be even more anger if the constant stress causes a mass exodus of staff. They really don't seem like they deserve this sort of shabby treatment.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
ron1n said:
Worst thing about all the bugs and crashes is that it's stealing attention and masking all the other significant issues.

The netcode is absolutely horrid. Worst I've ever seen in a game. Map design has taken steps back in favor of gimmicky 'levelution'. Various vehicles and weapons are (as expected) unbalanced and broken. Certain game modes are made pretty frigging awful either by level design or spawns. Don't even get me started on the blinding/headache causing visual distortion that DICE somehow added in with their last patch that is caused by commanders using the UAV.

I cannot help but see Titan Fall and to a lesser extent Extraction, stealing massive a number of players away from both BF4 and Ghosts come next year.
The netcode has significantly improved since the last update. Still not good, though. At least sniper rifles are viable choices now. Lock-on warnings are still too late, though. I'm not totally worried about balance issues (actually not terrible) until they get the game to a much more playable state. Spawns are pretty gross on some maps right now, especially on Domination/Deathmatch sizes. A couple of the maps do suffer horribly when it comes to Rush while another couple are amazing.

But I'm definitely going to disagree on your opinion of the map design. It's hands down DICE's best work. They're just so much more interesting to play. The fact that infantry can be on the same map as vehicles without fear of immediate death is a big improvement. I agree with you that the marketing term 'Levelution' is gimmicky, but the actual implementation is pretty clever on some maps (while almost non-existant on others). Paracel Storm's weather change is so fricken' fun to play in because of the change in gameplay. Flood Zone's changes the map pretty drastically, opening up new paths and taking away others while switching the vehicles around. There's just so much more freedom, and extra strategy involved. It's way better than Battlefield's usual "Capture generic army outpost A, then generic army outpost B" maps.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow, still problems on the pc as well. looks like its a good thing i wait until everything is fixed. will be busy with ac4 anyway.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Jesus Christ, it bloody well better. I fully stopped playing the PC version for now, the bad freezeup directx crashes got so bad.

I felt dirty doing it, but I preordered the premium on origin; I've been playing them since 1942 and I don't expect I'll stop - I love DICE's work and Battlefield 4 can be wonderful fun, but I'd imagine EA demanded "release on every platform, before call of duty schedule".

EA, as a publisher has a unique way of making you feel like they're wiping their ass on your face by virtue of your patronage I rarely feel towards the other disembodied business entities that finance and publish so many of the games I love.