Best Buy Wants Your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Best Buy Wants Your Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3

For a limited time, Best Buy has increased the trade-in value on Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

If you're planning to cut ties with your current console in favor of a swanky new Xbox One or PlayStation 4, Best Buy may have some good news for you. The retailer is currently handing out $100 gift cards to anyone who drops off a working PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

Best Buy has also increased the trade-in value on games like Grand Theft Auto V, Battlefield 4, and Batman: Arkham Origins. So, gamers should have a bit of extra cash on Black Friday.

This year, Best Buy's Black Friday sales aren't terribly impressive, but you could put that newly acquired gift card toward a discounted iPad 2 or a 65-inch television. Either way, you'll want to peruse Best Buy's terms and conditions [http://www.bestbuy.com/site/video-games/video-game-trade-in-offer/pcmcat317900050006.c?id=pcmcat317900050006&type=category&id=pcmcat317900050006] before you decide to hand your beloved videogame console over to a soulless corporation.

Just remember that neither the PlayStation 4 nor the Xbox One supports backwards compatibility, so you may want to take a few minutes to really think about how you're going to spend your holidays.

However, the deal expires on November 23rd, so you don't have much time.

Source: Best Buy [http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page]

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I don't know why anyone would trade in at this stage. It would mean trading in a massive library of games for very little at this stage.

Maybe in a years time or something sure, but games are still coming out for PS3 and 360. Not all of them will be on the next gen consoles either.

Apr 28, 2008
If I did that how would I play all my PS3/360 games?

The consoles will each have, like, two games at launch worth playing that you won't be able to get on other platforms. It'd be silly to trade in consoles with SO MANY GAMES for consoles that barely have any yet. Unless they had backwards compatibility. But they don't.

And no, I will not shut up about this. I understand why they don't have it, but that doesn't make me any less annoyed.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
Irridium said:
If I did that how would I play all my PS3/360 games?

The consoles will each have, like, two games at launch worth playing that you won't be able to get on other platforms. It'd be silly to trade in consoles with SO MANY GAMES for consoles that barely have any yet. Unless they had backwards compatibility. But they don't.

And no, I will not shut up about this. I understand why they don't have it, but that doesn't make me any less annoyed.
im still trying to wrap my head around the no backwards compatibility, having a huge back catalog of games is probably the only reason to stay with one console over another, at least the early ps3s had backwards compatibility so there was something of a transition period

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Since when did Best Buy deal in used game consoles? Maybe that's why they have an exclusive deal on $190 Xbox 360s on Black Friday; they're repackaging people's trade-ins and passing them off as new.

heroicbob said:
im still trying to wrap my head around the no backwards compatibility, having a huge back catalog of games is probably the only reason to stay with one console over another, at least the early ps3s had backwards compatibility so there was something of a transition period
Yeah, and they cost $600 at launch for that reason. They had to cram an entire PS2 into every unit to make that work. With current consoles, you'd probably also run out of room for all that circuitry without the risk of overheating. Especially those big ol' Xboxes.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Don't do eet, console owners! Eet's a trap to make you want them back when you're not satisfied with the new stuff, especially X-Box!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Drummodino said:
I don't know why anyone would trade in at this stage. It would mean trading in a massive library of games for very little at this stage.

Maybe in a years time or something sure, but games are still coming out for PS3 and 360. Not all of them will be on the next gen consoles either.
You'll get a lot more money now than you will as the consoles pick up steam next year. Also, Best Buy probably just assumes that the vast majority who sells a console will just end up buying the new one their as well. It's win/win for the company and the gamer.

I'm inclined to hold onto my PS3 for good though just because it's a bulky BlueRay/Netflix player in the worst case scenario. I'll get occasional use out of it over the years even if I don't find myself replaying the games I own.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
so, how does this stack up to the triple trade in value gamestop was offering?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
My 360 will be buried with me...next to my PS2 and N64. I don't ever give up my games or systems. Well, atleast until my 360 dies forever... my N64 though will outlive us all.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
NO! I keep all my systems, even if they are broken, though none of them are to my knowledge. I don't understand why(outside of not having the money) anyone would get rid of an old console they probably have lots of games for and information saved on.

I can sort of understand getting rid of a Wii since Wii U can play Wii games, but without backwards compatibility, getting rid of old systems does not make much sense.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Can someone PLEASE find out for me if this is in Canada? I have been wanting to get rid of my Xbox 360 for years now and this would be PERFECT for me!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Drummodino said:
Yeah, I mean, you can't even use your Xbone or PS4 to play them, like last gen.

I'd have to be really sick of my library to do this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
Can someone PLEASE find out for me if this is in Canada? I have been wanting to get rid of my Xbox 360 for years now and this would be PERFECT for me!
Can't you call your local store?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I was actually considering finally buying a PS3 or 360. Instead of selling it to Best Buy why not sell it to me? I'd definitely be willing to go above $100 for it.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Zachary Amaranth said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Can't you call your local store?
... it's late here, really late, store is closed