The Last Guardian's Creator Is Terribly Sorry For Keeping You Waiting

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The Last Guardian's Creator Is Terribly Sorry For Keeping You Waiting

Fumito Ueda's input is pretty much done, and he has no control over when the game will be completed.

If you've spent any time in this hobby at all, then you know Fumito Ueda's work, even if you don't know his name. very long awaited [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/4074-Ico-and-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-Remastered-Edition-Trailer] Team Ico PS3 exclusive. Or perhaps it'll be a PS4 exclusive now; who can say? But Ueda knows things have taken far too long and, in an interview with Edge magazine, he says he's terribly sorry to have kept fans waiting all this time.

He doesn't work for Sony any more [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114459-Rumor-ICO-Creator-Has-Left-Sony]. He decided to go freelance for personal reasons; he didn't feel at all happy about the direction his career was taking. He won't - or can't - go into detail about his departure, but it seems clear that Sony wasn't pleased about his decision. He still works with Sony, on The Last Guardian and other projects, and he says his Last Guardian work is mostly complete.

"But," he admits, "the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control." Far, far beyond it. Back in February [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122103-Sony-May-Have-a-Last-Guardian-Announcement-Soon] Ueda claimed that Sony was about to make a Last Guardian announcement, but it never came.

Back in August, Ueda told Famitsu that Knack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10583-Puppeteer-Review-Dark-Bizarre-and-Fantastically-Good] took precedence over his Last Guardian, and Shuhei Yoshida has claimed that Sony's just waiting for the right time to re-introduce the title. Well, Puppeteer and Knack are out, and the PS4 release is well under way. Maybe that right time will come soon, but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it, if I were you.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/ueda-terribly-sorry-for-the-last-guardian-delay/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Shame that.

Last Guardian was one of the games that convinced me to buy a PS3. Heh, that'll show me, eh?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Zhukov said:
Shame that.

Last Guardian was one of the games that convinced me to buy a PS3. Heh, that'll show me, eh?
You too huh?

I'm still interested in playing regardless. No telling what the quality if the game will be though.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
I was really looking forward to this game awhile back. Seems Sony has a personal vendetta against Ueda for leaving. Can't really think of another reason why this game has taken as long as it has.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
It's a pity, it sure looked promising back in the day. With all the delays and internal struggles, I'd be shocked if it ends up being anywhere near a quality title. As a matter of fact, I'd be shocked if it ever turns up at all - most likely it'll be canned.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Why does Sony hate this game? I'm sure all it would take is for a dedicated team to review the work already done and touch it up a little and it could finally see release, but it feels like everyone involved is just... faffing about. :(

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
AldUK said:
Why does Sony hate this game? I'm sure all it would take is for a dedicated team to review the work already done and touch it up a little and it could finally see release, but it feels like everyone involved is just... faffing about. :(
Try to imagine a game where your only real means of attack, movement or puzzle solving was dependent on interactions with an AI controlled character.

Now try to imagine making that game playable and enjoyable.

Now you're starting to see why this has taken so long.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Story said:
I'm still interested in playing regardless. No telling what the quality if the game will be though.
Without Ueda helming it... I don't know.

To me this is like Kojima leaving a Metal Gear game in mid-production. As soon as I heard Ueda left his own game I knew it was fucking dead.

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
Every once in a while, some news about this game pops up, and it's always "we're working on it." Honestly, I've stopped hoping it will ever come out, especially without Ueda. It's been years and my enthusiasm and patience have just run out.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Toadfish1 said:
AldUK said:
Try to imagine a game where your only real means of attack, movement or puzzle solving was dependent on interactions with an AI controlled character.

You mean... basically what we got years ago with Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom and didn't take the devs slightly longer than a human lifetime?
If you ask me, the 'faffing about' argument looks rather plausible. :\

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Sonicron said:
Toadfish1 said:
AldUK said:

You mean... basically what we got years ago with Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom and didn't take the devs slightly longer than a human lifetime?
If you ask me, the 'faffing about' argument looks rather plausible. :\
I loved that game, thanks for reminding me it existed :D

I hope it sees the light of day, I'm sure seeing the main characters animal friend die will be just as emotional as their last game.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
AldUK said:
Probably because it's a huge time and money sink (at least with Ueda helming the project), nobody in their right mind would ever make a physics engine just so you could animate all of the feathers on your monster individually, nobody else would ever put so much time into how a barrel breaks, anybody competent could have finished this several years ago.