EA's Command & Conquer: Mostly Dead Is Slightly Alive

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
EA's Command & Conquer: Mostly Dead Is Slightly Alive

Production may resume on cancelled Command & Conquer.

EA's Command & Conquer sequel suffered from an alpha build so toxic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129133-EA-Nukes-Command-Conquer-Sequel] that the publisher shut the game down and disbanded the development team working on it, but it turns out that it may not be so dead a title after all. There's no word as to when or in what circumstances, but EA has claimed that production may resume, once a new studio has been found to take it on.

A refund statement [https://help.ea.com/article/command-conquer-cancellation-and-refunds] first spotted by Blue's News is all we have to go on for the moment. "For those of you who bought The C&C Ultimate Collection," the statement reads, "your early access to the beta will be honored once production of this title resumes under a new studio." It goes on to say that production would resume "in the future."

Now, the refund statement could just be something that companies say to cover all the bases, on the off-chance that the title somehow gets revived. That said, Command & Conquer has been a very popular franchise for EA, and it'd be crazy to think it was gone for good. EA did say it was looking at a number of alternatives to get the game "back on track" when the cancellation was announced. Maybe yes, maybe no, but at least there's some small hope that Victory Games' last stab at the franchise isn't all dead [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tAKLTktY0], even if Victory Games is.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/19/ea-looking-to-resume-command-conquer-at-new-studio/#more-176809]

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I'd love to see some information released (unofficially or otherwise) on what was so amazingly horrible about the alpha build. I don't doubt that it was bad, mind you... I just want the details of the train wreck.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
JarinArenos said:
I'd love to see some information released (unofficially or otherwise) on what was so amazingly horrible about the alpha build. I don't doubt that it was bad, mind you... I just want the details of the train wreck.
Do you really need a better description than "multiplayer only, micro transaction supported RTS"?

Also, does the fans hating not only everything it represents, but despising the game on its own merits constitute a "right" reason for this game failing.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Makes sense, I mean they must of spent a lot of money on that game.
Surely they can do sometime with what they have.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
I heartily approve of the reference.

OT: This makes me happy. I've never played the C&C franchise - something I do plan on rectifying in the future - but I do love RTS games, and it saddens me that Blizzard is only one of few consistently carrying on with the genre. It's doubtful that this getting off the ground will turn that around, but I can hope.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
TheSYLOH said:
JarinArenos said:
Do you really need a better description than "multiplayer only, micro transaction supported RTS"?
Yep, like the article above said Liquid Tiberium mixed with Antrax Alpha and desolator spray was less toxic than what they were building so they shut it down before any more damage could be done.

Also people who bought the ultimate collection get early beta access? I had no idea when I bought the collection for the Red Alert Series. Well if it ever takes shape again under a new studio with (hopefully) a better model I'll try and take advantage of that.

In the end there are fans like me who REALLY REALLLLY want more C&C, just not the one they were building.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Is EA employing Max as their in-house resurrectionist?

With a new Total Annihilation coming (see Planetary Annihilation) it would feel only right that C&C were to be developed and released. If trends continue, would we see another Warcraft non-mmo? Probably not.

SoulMan007

Sep 21, 2009
Let's hope EA doesn't just go through the previous studios pockets for 'loose change' and actually does it right this time, giving us a proper C&C game.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Please no, keep it dead. I'm perfectly happy with the series just being alive in the modding community.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
JarinArenos said:
As somebody who got into the closed alpha: It wasn't amazing (What with the whole 'Multiplayer or skirmish only' thing) but it seemed to play well and I really was looking forward to the announced campaign mode.

Honestly it wasn't that bad, the issue is that F2P is getting a worse and worse name and EA isn't exactly the best at reputation. I think the method they had set up (You get basic three for free and specialized generals are treated like Champions from LoL in how they're unlocked) seemed reasonable.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Y'know, I'd kinda like it if they brought co-op campaigns into the game again, they had it in Red Alert 3 and (ITDOESN'T EXIST) CnC4 (/ITDOESN'TEXIST) and I like the concept of playing with a friend to achieve a goal that's not just "Smash shit. All the shit, but not your own shit."

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Here's hoping this turns out like Xcom and because of fan outcry they will listen and end up giving us the game we actually wanted.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Great so that means we C&C fans can expect to see EA commit yet another horrifying act of digital necrophilia on one of our cherished IPs. It's dead Jim. Please leave it that way unless the IP can be spun off from the EA Fuckwit Brigade.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Let's face it EA, CnC died when you killed Westwood. Without that team, what you own with CnC, is the corpse of an IP. Why not just bury your corpse and get to making something that isn't a waste of money on your behalf, and a slap in the face to everyone who actually liked the old games?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009

Haven't you screwed C&C over enough EA? You have no idea on how to make a good C&C, just sell the IP off or atleast hire competent devs and leave them to make a good game. As it stands C&C is why EA games are worth $10 or less to me, I never buy them for more anymore. Well that and Sim City *takes hat off and holds it in front of his chest for a moment of silence*