PS4 vs Xbox One Comparison: Graphics, Specs, Differences

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
PS4 vs Xbox One Comparison: Graphics, Specs, Differences

How do the Sony PlayStation 4 and the Microsoft Xbox One match up?

Read Full Article

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Huh, I was sure that XBone would win the controller battle. But then again, not very many people have got their hands on PS4's latest Dualshock and it could truly be the turning point. I really want to hold it and play with it now (dick joke in there somewhere), plug it into my PC and play some Dirt/Grid or SSFIV:AE :S

For those who are undecided, I reckon it's best to keep waiting and see how the game libraries and additional features open-up.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
What I really want to know is how online multiplayer compares. Head to head on the same games. Is one or the other more reliable, less prone to lag?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Raziel said:
What I really want to know is how online multiplayer compares. Head to head on the same games. Is one or the other more reliable, less prone to lag?
We haven't been able to test Xbox Live on the Xbone much, because of the pre-launch environment, but the PS4 works like a charm in multiplayer. No complaints of lag whatsoever from the console side. Now if your internet is spotty ...

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I feel like the setup and hardware design are meaningless comparisons, since once you have either console, their jobs are to just sit there and play your games. Calling either console a winner on those is kind of "meh."

Having held both controllers, I feel like the Xbox should have won the controller/input category. The PS4's, while improved, still feels awkward with the joysticks in the position that they are - it's just not comfortable for my hand to hold something that way. The 360 controller didn't need to change much, and I don't think the Xbox One should necessarily be dinged for that. It was, after-all, the best controller there was of the last generation. Why fix what isn't broken? Also on the input category, comparing the PS camera to the Kinect's probably should have been a toss-up as well.

Some of the complaints (for both consoles) seemed very trivial. Oh well - we're all entitled to our opinions. Looking forward to Friday, myself.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So Xbox has the better 2nd screen, launch exclusives and user interface, while PS4 has a better setup, better design, better controller and better sharing experience.

I'll be honest. Out of these, the only stuff that truly, really matters are launch exclusives (emphasis on launch, as in "at the moment") on the Xbox side and the better controller/sharing on the PS4 side.

I think PS4 wins the round.

Hunter Wright

Nov 20, 2013
I won't buy either console for a few months, I want the chance to see and play them both before I commit. My main concern with PS4 is the controller, I have always hated the analog stick position, and have gotten very comfortable with my 360 controller. I am also fine with a power brick, I would rather not have my console overheating. I am still not sold on either and this article certainly didn't help, seems like it was written by people who just realized video games exist

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Hunter Wright said:
I am still not sold on either and this article certainly didn't help, seems like it was written by people who just realized video games exist
How did you get that impression? The article seemed pretty thorough and well written to me. They analysed a lot of relevant areas, made comparisons between the two consoles and came to an overall conclusion.

You also just insulted the entirety of the website's staff as this was a jointly written article.

OT: Pretty much what I expected to be honest. The power brick from the Xbox was surprising, that thing looks like a monster.

Looks like I'm still getting a PS4 down the road.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Hmm, a fair review. I'm still not sure which to get though. I'll end up with both before the generation is out of course, but picking the right one the first time means a lot. That's a lot of money you can't get back. So I'm still going to wait and see who has better games. Infamous: Second Son looks pretty awesome so far, but I'm not sure I could go without Halo. I'll probably end up just watching on the sidelines for the next year or so.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Drummodino said:
Hunter Wright said:
I am still not sold on either and this article certainly didn't help, seems like it was written by people who just realized video games exist
How did you get that impression? The article seemed pretty thorough and well written to me. They analysed a lot of relevant areas, made comparisons between the two consoles and came to an overall conclusion.

You also just insulted the entirety of the website's staff as this was a jointly written article.

OT: Pretty much what I expected to be honest. The power brick from the Xbox was surprising, that thing looks like a monster.

Looks like I'm still getting a PS4 down the road.
The power brick is really odd to me as well. The PS4 fits everythin nice and neatly inside its own case and its more powerful in pretty much every way while bein smaller. Unless some ridiculous overheatin issues crop up soon (not outside the realm of possibility) then it makes no sense why the bigger, bulkier, and weaker Xbox One couldn't do the same.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Midniqht said:
I feel like the setup and hardware design are meaningless comparisons, since once you have either console, their jobs are to just sit there and play your games. Calling either console a winner on those is kind of "meh."

Having held both controllers, I feel like the Xbox should have won the controller/input category. The PS4's, while improved, still feels awkward with the joysticks in the position that they are - it's just not comfortable for my hand to hold something that way. The 360 controller didn't need to change much, and I don't think the Xbox One should necessarily be dinged for that. It was, after-all, the best controller there was of the last generation. Why fix what isn't broken? Also on the input category, comparing the PS camera to the Kinect's probably should have been a toss-up as well.

Some of the complaints (for both consoles) seemed very trivial. Oh well - we're all entitled to our opinions. Looking forward to Friday, myself.
The xbox has the worst controller I've ever used, dualshock is far more comfortable and look forward to feeling the DS4 improvements. Ofcourse this is just opinion as yours is, remember that next time you argue personal preference as fact.

As for the article, some nice info in there, although the whole which is best part was annoying. Just say what each system is like and let the reader decide, then you get less of the comments like the one above and more actual discussion of the systems and what they offer.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Phew... Took me a while to finish reading through this but I find it partially silly how the Setup Experience is made to be such a relevant factor in the scoring. Whether it takes 10 or 15 minutes to finish setting up either console simply seems like a trivial nitpick.

At any rate, I intent to be a late adopter anyways, so if the Xbox ends up making a slim version by that time I guess I'll be able to reevaluate the Hardware design score, regarding whether or not I'll side with Microsoft.

Not that my girlfriend would like the idea of that. The Kinect creeps the frak out of her.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
While I already knew I was going to buy PS4 over Xbone, this is a nice breakdown and comparison of both consoles. Thank you.

I guess the only significant category Xbone has over PS4 to me is the launch library but I'm not going to get PS4 for a while so it doesn't matter for me.

So... Forza 5 isn't going to be at launch? There goes that huge advantage I thought Xbone had..

TheDAus

Mar 13, 2012
I don't understand how you are giving the launch library win to the XB1 based of games like Crimson Dragon (an ugly port of a canceled 360 game that looks like it has some nasty "freemium" like micro transactions), LocoCycle (a game that I have heard gets slammed)and listing Ryse (as what looks like a positive yet stating that it could be good or bad is very, very strange.

Also giving the UI win to the XB1 seems very odd, because the XB1 UI looks really random and cluttered to me.

Edit: And unless I missed something, you do not talk about the specs or graphics, unlike what the title of the article claims.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
For me, the controller is a no-brainer. The question I ask is "Does it give me hand cramps after prolonged play?" And the PS4 as with every other PS system does not fail to disappoint. 4 hours into Killzone: Shadowfall and I get the old familiar tingle followed by increasing pain in my index finger on my right hand and my ring and pinky on the left. While it must be said, I have carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome in my hands respectively, the PS controllers have never felt comfortable to me. It may be they their target market has smaller hands, but those things feel like a child's controller in my hands. The bumper and trigger buttons are still too close together and the trigger still doesn't extend down far enough. Did Sony just not listen the complaints made about the Dual Shock 3 controllers? I end up with a gaming claw after a few hours. Not as bad as the Gamecube mind you (oh God, the pain), but the XBOX has consistently beat the PS as far as making an ergonomic controller, at least in my opinion. It got so bad on the PS3 that I ended up buying a Power A controller because it mimicked the size and shape of the 360 controller. Loos like I'll have to do it again.

As an aside, I did *not* find the setup on PS4 to be a breeze. I had some issues with my router and the PS4 that took me about a half an hour to fix. That said, the new UI is waaaay more intuitive than the PS3. If I'm being honest, it reminds me of the 360 though, which I much preferred to the PS3, but full marks to Sony for making that improvement.

I don't have an XB1 yet so I have nothing to compare it to, but what I've seen doesn't strike me as all that different from the 360. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing... but hopefully the controller is big enough for my "manglers".

Dec 16, 2009
I've never understood why controllers aren't released in different sizes.
I always preferred the 360 controller because the 6 Axis would give me cramp during long sessions

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
In so much as I am a Sony Supporter, what the fuck has the light bar got to do with future proofing? And why are you marking down the Playstation for using the common 3.5' jack on the Controller?

I fully support the strike against not enabling the older Bluetooth gear, fuckin' dick move.