Team Fortress 2 Update Brings "Weapon Effects," New MvM Maps

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Team Fortress 2 Update Brings "Weapon Effects," New MvM Maps

The "Two Cities," update is inspired by Charles Dickens' feel-good surf classic: Super Good Times.

Good news everyone! There's a Team Fortress 2 update in the pipe, and from the looks of things, it appears to be more than just new hats. The "Two Cities" update will bring two new "city" maps for the Mann vs. Machine mode, as well as a third non-city map for the non-Mann vs. Machine mode. It'll also come with weapon effects, which are earned from playing the "Tour of Duty" paid gamemode of Mann vs. Machine mode.

The first map, Mannhattan, takes our mercs all the way from the sun-blasted gravel pits of the Badlands to the urban sprawl of the East Coast, where they'll have to defend the manufacturing arm of Saxton Hale's boutique Mhankö line. annhattan's robot hordes can advance their own spawn points and introduce new bombs into the map for the first time, making for a unique new MvM experience.

The second "city" map will be revealed for tomorrow, but as for the "non-city" map, it's called Snakewater,descrbed as "an action-packed control point map" from community author Toivo Sawen.

Completing a Two Cities Tour of Duty automatically grants you a Killstreak Kit, which you can apply to any weapon to transform it into a Killstreak weapon. The weapon can them be further upgraded to add cool visual effects to your weapon and eventually even your character. There's also a super rare chance of finding an Australium weapon, which, if they work anything like the super rare "Golden Wrenches," [http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Golden_Wrench] will turn your enemies to gold upon killing them.

Stay tuned for more news from the update's second day!

Source: Team Fortress 2 [http://www.teamfortress.com/twocities/mannhattan/]

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
I won't lie... My initial reaction to this was. "OH MY GOD GIVE ME AN AUSTRALIANUM GLAMTHROWER!!"

Still this looks like a good MvM update. Lots of extra data to pore over and the great big "Redo upgrades" thing looks like it will be very VERY handy.

Now all they need to do is make Medic not bottom tier in MvM and the mode will be almost perfect!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Killstreaks? Blinged out weapons? What FPS are we talking about again? I could swear there's some other game series that does this...named after a fish, I think?

I was (mostly) okay with the hats and other cosmetics, but I'd prefer that they leave weapons alone. I realize TF2's setting is quite silly and getting sillier all the time, but do we really need a bunch of phonged/recolored weapons and flaming eyeballs on top of it all? The game's already become a bit of a visual clusterfuck with paints and unusuals.

At least the effects won't change the weapon's stats.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
Killstreaks?
You do realize the "Killstreak kits" are just what they call the things you put onto your gun to make then look special, right? They're not actual killstreaks like in CoD.

But yeah after having so many hats for so long and seeing CS:GO introduce weapon skins I'm not too surprised. People are still gonna dumb obscene amounts of money into the weird and rare cosmetics, so TF2 has essentially turned into a money printing machine for Valve.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
You know I actually liked MvM about a thousand times more than normal TF2, so its a shame that TF2's item system, The pay-per-game model, and the overwhelmingly hostile community drove me away to the point that I doubt I will be checking out this update.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
major_chaos said:
You know I actually liked MvM about a thousand times more than normal TF2, so its a shame that TF2's item system, The pay-per-game model, and the overwhelmingly hostile community drove me away to the point that I doubt I will be checking out this update.
You need thicker skin. I pretty much outright ignore all other players and go off and do my own noobish things.
Also, I don't see how pay-per-play even affects the game in any way. Players with skill still beat players with fancy hats.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Also not noted in the article...

All money your team collects on the battlefield now counts toward unlocking a full Refund. Whether you're succeeding at each wave or not, once per mission you'll earn enough that the entire team can Refund all money spent on Upgrades (not consumables). Cash in hand, you can switch classes to try different strategies, or optimize Upgrades on your current class. Victory is Guaranteed!*
*does not constitute a guarantee of victory

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
cool. As much fun and Valve games are like TF2 and L4D2 and as much fun as the community made maps are id rather have more updates from valve. This, this is good ^.^
Now when is that winter Steam sale happening ? :)

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
major_chaos said:
I don't really play TF2 that much but I had an impression only cosmetics are buyable. just like in dota2

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Li Mu said:
major_chaos said:
You need thicker skin. I pretty much outright ignore all other players and go off and do my own noobish things.
Also, I don't see how pay-per-play even affects the game in any way. Players with skill still beat players with fancy hats.
Because that is totally the way to play a team based game.
Going off on your own doing noobish things and ignoring the main objective.
A team based games should be played with a team, and if the community is a horrible piece of shit as it is on the case of Team Fortress 2 , it really hurts the experience.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
l3o2828 said:
Li Mu said:
major_chaos said:
Because that is totally the way to play a team based game.
Going off on your own doing noobish things and ignoring the main objective.
A team based games should be played with a team, and if the community is a horrible piece of shit as it is on the case of Team Fortress 2 , it really hurts the experience.
Maybe it's just the type of servers I go on, but in my experience the TF2 community is really good. It's not perfect, but compared to COD, Battlefield, League of Legends etc....

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Schmeiser said:
major_chaos said:
I don't really play TF2 that much but I had an impression only cosmetics are buyable. just like in dota2
In MvM mode (co-op vs bots if you haven't played it) there is the option to pay for a ticket and potentially get better item drops if you win. You can play for free but you can't get the items for winning, methinks. I guess it is still paying for cosmetic items in a roundabout way though.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Hmmm interesting. Ever since I got what I wanted from Tours in MvM (Gold Mk1 Botkiller Wrench) I've not devoted any real time or effort into it, this Killstreak pack for a weapon might just get me back into it!

I wonder if I can add weapon effects to my Botkiller Wrench...?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Yet another community map that's 5CP. Quelle Surprise. Somewhere along the line Valve realized that the competitive scene were the only people left who still play the game regularly, and that they only play 5CP, so good luck ever seeing a brand-new map that's not that or KOTH (the mode preferred by the free-to-play crowd who buy all the items).

njrk97

May 30, 2011
Im a sucker for all that cosmetic stuff (Judge me) and shiny weapons and crap im defiantly getting since i already do mann up alot, but really no Payload maps im sure plenty of the community has made payload give them so love. Or maybe give as another TC or SD, for gods sake introducing SD just on one map is stupid.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Li Mu said:
Schmeiser said:
1. You can buy anything in TF2 including things that effect gameplay, although theoretically you should be able to get the guns without paying.
2. You both misunderstood my complaint, I was taking issue with how MvM makes you pay per round if you want to use matchmaking instead of fucking around with the server browser for fifteen minutes.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Yet another community map that's 5CP. Quelle Surprise. Somewhere along the line Valve realized that the competitive scene were the only people left who still play the game regularly, and that they only play 5CP, so good luck ever seeing a brand-new map that's not that or KOTH (the mode preferred by the free-to-play crowd who buy all the items).
Err...Not sure if you're being serious or not, but it's a new MvM map.

Snakewater is old. Like, it's been around for ages

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
step1999 said:
Maybe it's just the type of servers I go on, but in my experience the TF2 community is really good. It's not perfect, but compared to COD, Battlefield, League of Legends etc....
My experience with TF2 has been pleasant for the most part, but then again I spend a lot of time on public servers with easy game modes. Sure, it's rarely a challenge facing against mostly newbies, but at least it's clean fun. You get the occasional uber-hardcore loser who gets upset when you're the only person on the other team he's not dominating, but considering that's only happened twice during almost 800 hours of play time, I'm okay with that.

Though games in LOL have been quite vile IMO. Even complimenting someone on your own team, like "that was an epic double kill you crazy tower-diving bastard!", could get you a reply like "suck my balls noob support". And I've seen enough COD videos (standard play, trolling or otherwise) to be permanently turned off of it.

major_chaos said:
1. You can buy anything in TF2 including things that effect gameplay, although theoretically you should be able to get the guns without paying.
2. You both misunderstood my complaint, I was taking issue with how MvM makes you pay per round if you want to use matchmaking instead of fucking around with the server browser for fifteen minutes.
Fifteen minutes? What? Where do you live? Even in NZ I can usually get a good game in a couple of seconds. Maybe you're talking about constantly in-outing of servers for an actual game with reliable teammates who don't ditch? I know sometimes it takes a long time to find a proper game :/

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Infernal Lawyer said:
Fifteen minutes? What? Where do you live? Even in NZ I can usually get a good game in a couple of seconds. Maybe you're talking about constantly in-outing of servers for an actual game with reliable teammates who don't ditch? I know sometimes it takes a long time to find a proper game :/
That is what I'm talking about. Normally it takes my a long while to find a server that is: Playing MvM, free of horrible lag, actually populated but but with an open spot so I can get in, and once I find one that is all those things half the time my teammates are assholes or all leave after a short while and the process starts over.