Inxile Asks Torment Backers To Vote On Combat System

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Inxile Asks Torment Backers To Vote On Combat System

Torment: Tides of Numenera backers have been given the opportunity to vote for either a real-time or turn-based combat system in the game.

You probably already know this if you're the sort of person who would back Torment: Tides of Numenera, but just to ensure there's no confusion, let me lay it out for you: Infinity Engine - Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment - and Dragon Age games feature "real-time with pause" combat, meaning that battles unfold in real-time but can be paused at any time to evaluate the situation or issue new orders. Others, like the first two Fallouts, Temple of Elemental Evil and a lot of tactical combat simulators like XCom, are turn-based: One of your guys moves, then one of his guys moves, then it's back to your guys, and so forth.

This is relevant because inXile Entertainment is now seeking input on which of those two systems it will use in Torment: Tides of Numenera. The latest Kickstarter update asks backers to vote for one of the two, or declare their indifference, on the Torment forums. The vote is "advisory only," the update warns, so the team will ultimately do whatever it wants, but you have to assume that if there's an overwhelming majority of support for one or the other, that's the way it will go.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/403918621111357440]

It seems unlikely to happen, based on a recent tweet by inXile boss Brian Fargo, but if there is a big majority my hope is that it opts for the "real-time with pause" choice, or at the very least that the game takes steps to ensure that battles don't get bogged down in the tedium of issuing the same order, over and over. Maybe I'm lazy, or just spoiled by past experience, but sometimes it's nice to be able to say, "You guys take care of this and call me if there's a real problem."

A more detailed breakdown of how the two combat system would work in Torment: Tides of Numenera is available in the previous [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/653368] Kickstarter update, posted earlier this month.

Souce: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/670167]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Part of the information on that page suggested that under a turn-based system, you can have a default action set that is carried out if you do not issue a specific command on a turn. Still, due to tradition for this kind of game and its close kin, I voted RTWP.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Going from pool of radiance to Infinity games I definitely missed the precision of turn based tactics. But for PS:T the combat was an afterthought, not the main focus of the game.

I'm hoping they go with realtime pause as well. These games were never about range and positioning, which is really the main point of using turn based combat. And for anyone who says realtime pause doesn't have depth just play a few sieges in dwarf fortress and come back to me.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Honestly, I like that it's so close. With this being an advisory post, a tie vote means the designers go with what they think integrates best with the system they're building.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Surprised at how close it is. When I placed my vote there was maybe 40 votes separating the two options. I've not had a lot of experience with the old combat style of the old infinity engine games. But based on my experience with Plancescape Torment I'd prefer to have the combat turn based. Otherwise I'd feel the need to constantly pause to issue commands, breaking the flow somewhat and if I'm constantly pausing it might as well be turn based..

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I like the real time with pause because if it is an easy encounter it speeds up combat. If there is more going on you can pause to get as into the fight as you want. Hence, I voted for that option yesterday.

Iori Branford

Jan 4, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
It seems unlikely to happen, based on a recent tweet by inXile boss Brian Fargo, but if there is a big majority my hope is that it opts for the "real-time with pause" choice, or at the very least that the game takes steps to ensure that battles don't get bogged down in the tedium of issuing the same order, over and over.
A good fight doesn't let you issue the same order, or subset of orders, or sequence of orders for very long whatever the combat system may be.

And honestly, real-time combat AI will have to prove itself pretty damn advanced before I'll leave it to its own devices for over 2 seconds. And at that point fights risk becoming little more than QTE cutscenes unless they manage to follow point #1 above, then they risk becoming unmanageable clusterfucks instead.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've never been a big fan of the real-time with pause style. I guess because it's always felt a little cheaty. Don't get me wrong....I love those classic games that use it but if it were up to me, it would be straight up turn based. The new Xcom has proven that it is still very much a viable option these days.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Arcanum had the option to do both. You could do an action point based turn system or real time and flip between them. It was nice because you could steamroll easy encounters and tactically plan others.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Tough call, both systems have their merits if done right. I'd probably go with turn-based myself but whichever way it ends up being I'll still be happy.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well considering it's so close they should really be looking into swinging it both ways, it's about time games started taking the direction of progress.