EVE Online Accepting In-Game Donations For Typhoon Haiyan Relief

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
EVE Online Accepting In-Game Donations For Typhoon Haiyan Relief

An in-game donation of PLEX, which allows players to stay subscribed to the game, will send $15 to relief efforts in the Philippines.

CCP, developer of space-faring MMO EVE Online, is allowing players to donate the in-game item PLEX to help relief efforts in the Philippines, following the destruction caused by Typhoon Haiyan. For each PLEX donation, CCP will contribute $15 to the Icelandic Red Cross for their current humanitarian efforts in the Philippines.

For those unfamiliar with EVE Online, a PLEX donation is actually kind of a big deal, as each unit of PLEX gives a player another 30 days subscription to the game. While PLEX can be earned through regular play of EVE Online as well as through direct purchase from CCP, it's still pretty noble of players to literally give up their free time to help those in need.

The current drive will last until Saturday, Dec. 7, and CCP is willing to donate up to a maximum of $75,000. For each PLEX donation, players will get two in-game commemorative T-shirts, one male and one female, for their characters to wear. This isn't the first "PLEX for GOOD" campaign run by CCP. Previous efforts have raised more than $100,000 for victims of disasters in Haiti, Japan, Pakistan and the U.S.

Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines on Nov. 8, killing 4,000, injuring 12,000 and displacing another three million. If players are looking to help contribute towards relief efforts, they just need to log onto EVE Online and send their PLEX to the character named "CCP PLEX for GOOD," part of the in-game CCP Corporation, using a 14 day item exchange contract.

Source: Joystiq

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
I no longer play EVE, but my faith in the general populace of Eve is restored when they take a break from killing/podding each other and assist a stricken part of the world. :)

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
CrimsonBlack said:
I no longer play EVE, but my faith in the general populace of Eve is restored when they take a break from killing/podding each other and assist a stricken part of the world. :)

I like what CCP did with the PLEX for Good, but don't get too excited man. There have been a bunch of people with the name (which is not allowed under CCP guidelines) trying to scam PLEX from people. They don't last too long because people have petitioned the shit outta them.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
BodomBeachChild said:
CrimsonBlack said:

I like what CCP did with the PLEX for Good, but don't get too excited man. There have been a bunch of people with the name (which is not allowed under CCP guidelines) trying to scam PLEX from people. They don't last too long because people have petitioned the shit outta them.
When people try to scam the donations its the only time CCP really step in and stop the scams, there where banhammers too last time iirc.

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
This just in... CCP CEO turns out to be spy, steals donations of players, scuttles servers and disbands company.

More news at 11.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
Huh. Pretty sure PLEX costs around $20 USD.
They still get a profit and the PLEX won't be activated either, so nobody gets game time..

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
toms said:
They still get a profit and the PLEX won't be activated either, so nobody gets game time..
Depends on how many you get and when you get them.

Buying many during discounts gets you them for 15 bucks, which between transaction costs and wages for support staff would net them a loss.

Buying a single one outside of discounts would net them a profit. But instead of this option you might as well straight up buy the subscription ( which is around 25% cheaper ) as a single PLEX doesn't really sell for quite that much in-game money.

On average they're probably breaking about even.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I love that this can by done by buying a PLEX from the market with in game money (which, of course, someone bought at some point with real money
), so even if you don't have real money to donate, you can use fake money earned from scamming and being a terrible human being to assist typhoon victims. I think I'll hop on and donate one now :)

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
mcattack92 said:
This just in... CCP CEO turns out to be spy, steals donations of players, scuttles servers and disbands company.

More news at 11.
that would actually be funny given how the only time I ever hear about eve its usually because of someone pulling off some insidious scheme to destroy someones stuff

Daedrin

Apr 17, 2010
heroicbob said:
mcattack92 said:

More news at 11.
that would actually be funny given how the only time I ever hear about eve its usually because of someone pulling off some insidious scheme to destroy someones stuff
Y'know.....kinda off topic, but if CCP ever has to sell/shutdown, I hope they do it with an awesome ARG that ends in some sort of way similar to that. The CEO was secretly working for Valve the entire time! Now he has all the plex to himself!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Yet another Plex for good (though a bit late on reporting it arent you escapist?). They seem to do this for every major disaster now, i guess its successful.

toms said:
They cost 10 Euros so ~15 dollars for us.
Also 15 dollar to charity and 5 dollar to profit is better than 20 dollar to profit.

tangoprime said:
I love that this can by done by buying a PLEX from the market with in game money (which, of course, someone bought at some point with real money
), so even if you don't have real money to donate, you can use fake money earned from scamming and being a terrible human being to assist typhoon victims. I think I'll hop on and donate one now :)
thats the bweauty of plex system. I dont have real money to donate, yet i can donate hundreds just by being good at the game. And people who are bad at this game are the actual donors and they get ingame money in return, which they then use to buy items i manufacture.