Report: Xbox One Not as "Sold Out" as Microsoft Claims

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Xbox One Not as "Sold Out" as Microsoft Claims

People are still able to find plenty of "Day One" Xbox One consoles even in the heart of New York City.

Last week saw the release of Microsoft's Xbox One, and after much celebration, the company announced that the machine was a runaway success, selling over Dual Shockers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129928-Xbox-One-Sells-a-Million-Units-In-24-Hours], they might not be quite as "sold out" as Microsoft claims.

Talking with a store employee at the Time Square Toys"R"Us store, right in the heart of New York City, the Dual Shockers reporter learned that the store still had "easily a few hundred" units left.

In the Midtown Manhattan Best Buy store on 5th avenue, he was told that there are still "a lot" of units left for sale, and even spied several rows of the "super limited" black "day one" Xbox Ones for sale.

NG4 user this picture [http://n4g.com/blogs/details/524436] of rows of day one Xbox Ones for sale at the West Hollywood Best Buy in Los Angeles.

On the other hand, both New York stores reported having absolutely no PS4s for sale, although it is still difficult to make a direct comparison, as the Best Buy clerk said that his store received less PS4 units than Xbox Ones.

We'll have to wait for the official sales data to confirm exactly how well the Xbox Sold, but the fact that you can still get day one edition consoles in the heart of one of the busiest cities in America is perhaps not a great sign.

Source: Dual Shockers [http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/24/xbox-one-sold-out-but-there-are-still-plenty-right-in-the-heart-of-new-york-including-day-one-editions/]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
So it does look like the 1 mill units sold is the world wide number and not for NA. That's not good, not bad but that is not good at all.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Call me crazy, but I feel like getting my XB1 news from a group called "Dual Shockers" maybe not be the most reliable method.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well, in my personal opinion we won't really know who out sold who until a year from now at least and until the end of the generation cycle at most.
I wouldn't be surprised if the day one XBox One sales were exaggerated a bit, but to be honest I'm certain those extras will be bought over the holiday season pretty quickly.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Mumorpuger said:
Call me crazy, but I feel like getting my XB1 news from a group called "Dual Shockers" maybe not be the most reliable method.
Are you suggesting that a website with a name derived from the name of the Playstation controller might potentially have some sort of bias? Surely not, that'd be ridiculous.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
So basically...neither console is sold out anywhere. In other news, my supermarket hasn't sold out of orange juice. It is also well stocked in cheese and it looks like there are more than enough rolls of toilet paper to last a while.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
Well spotted I didn't pick up on that.

OT: I'm not entirely surprised, I wasn't even aware that microsoft were ever claiming to be "sold out". All I thought they were saying was that they were doing well (which is demonstrably true).

All that this means is that they have a crap tonne of units to sell. In fact this was even news a few months back, where an analyst predicted that Microsoft's superior logistics would result in increased sales over a long time period (The idea being it'll sell a lot over time because it's readily available).
Cant find source for that :/

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
I feel like this would be a stronger argument if there were some way to spin the information. I mean are these major New York City retailers in on the bit? This isn't like a complicated political story with a bunch of confusing tentacles. It's just human beings (if highly motivated ones) doing a pretty basic "eye check" on a corporate press release and finding out that it's pretty much bullshit.

I think the PS4 is pretty clearly outselling the XB1, but not by enough to matter. And because MS reversed course on basically every horrible policy they tried to force on us, what's the difference? Also, these consoles are using more PC guts than ever, right? Seems logical they'd have no issue generating units even in the short-term.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
At this point, does it matters how much are left after how much it sold? I'm not fond of the Bone, but I find these kind of articles kinda like a gossipy magazine... "Ohh, ohh, let's see who gets laid with who"
Wasn't the fact that both sold a Million units something an event we should celebrate as a community for the Next Gen as a whole?

I don't think we all should take hands and sing "Heal the world" but I find no valuable information here for the users, the speculators or anyone interested in joining the next Gen, or already in it. And this critic is not aimed at the EM staff, but to anyone, journalist, readers and gaming community who thinks this will make a real difference, or a valuable one. Even for the sake of starting a flame wars. I'm sorry, I'm not enlisting for this one.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I find this this bit of news as a bit creepy, like snffing through your neighbours garbage to find something to complain about.

I am not even a console gamer but the amount of ire this new period of console wars has generated has become downright emberassing. This goes both for the fans and the media who feeds their mob mentality.

Marak Daga

Feb 1, 2012
bafrali said:
I find this this bit of news as a bit creepy, like snffing through your neighbours garbage to find something to complain about.

I am not even a console gamer but the amount of ire this new period of console game has generated has become downright emberassing. This goes both for the fans and the media who feeds their mob mentality.
This, this a lot. Maybe its because im a pc gamer,maybe its because im getting older but the media does seem to be attempting to stir up both mobs and it doeant seem to be taking that much.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Li Mu said:
So basically...neither console is sold out anywhere. In other news, my supermarket hasn't sold out of orange juice. It is also well stocked in cheese and it looks like there are more than enough rolls of toilet paper to last a while.
Clearly this must mean the orange juice, cheese and toilet paper manufacturers are going to crash and burn within the newt few days due to this immense failure.

OT: As stated some times, holidays are coming up and Black Friday's right around the corner (I think, I don't know how America works) and shit's going to sell and people will be beaten down with handbags as the masses violently runs and screams while hunting the stores for their prey. Yes, I have some very scary images of how huge sales work... which is why I order things online most of the time.

Censorme

Nov 19, 2009
Marak Daga said:
bafrali said:
I find this this bit of news as a bit creepy, like sniffing through your neighbours garbage to find something to complain about.

I am not even a console gamer but the amount of ire this new period of console game has generated has become downright embarrassing. This goes both for the fans and the media who feeds their mob mentality.
This, this a lot. Maybe its because I'm a pc gamer,maybe its because I'm getting older but the media does seem to be attempting to stir up both mobs and it doesn't seem to be taking that much.

Journalism is struggling to pay the bills and the hate-machine makes it rain.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Mumorpuger said:
Its not really about reliability..

Its just that a group called "Dual Shockers" would actually bother to report on every single xbox failures (truer the better) while a group, lets say "xboners" would rather keep it silent.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
luvd1 said:
So it does look like the 1 mill units sold is the world wide number and not for NA. That's not good, not bad but that is not good at all.
Well, if it is the global sales figure then it works out at less than one hundred thousand units sold per country on launch day, which by my reckoning is pretty disastrous.
For some history, 400'000 PS2's went in the first twenty four hours in the US alone, 500'000 PS4 at least have gone in the US and even the PS3's 'difficult' launch saw roughly 400'000 go to the US on day one and 300'000 sold in Europe on day one. Under 100k per market is potentially terrible, of course we don't know how those numbers break down (if it's 500k US 150k Canada, 150k UK and then rest of the world (or similar) disaster averted), but it means that at least one of the major markets ignored the Xbone on launch day.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
luvd1 said:
Umm, no one ever claimed that it was 1 million sold in NA. The article on here clearly mentioned the launch covered all 13 launch countries.

Steven Bogos said:
they might not be quite as "sold out" as Microsoft claims.
This bit here seems like a pretty loaded statement. Most only needs to be 51% of stores if we are being technical and I'm guessing it would mainly be small stores that have sold out.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's disappointing that Microdollaroft have been caught out in another despicable lie, a lie so cunning and evil that it was probably crafted in Hell in a collaboration with Joseph Goebbels and the Bureau of Anti-Consumer Scheming.

On the other hand, it's good to know that anyone in one of the 13 Xbox One launch regions just needs to simply go to New York or Los Angeles if they can't find an Xbox One locally. I'm sure this news is a great relief for people can't find an Xbox One and have plenty of Air Miles burning a hole in their pocket.

Until the intrepid sleuths at Dualshockers personally check the stock situations in every shop in every town in every country the Xbox One has launched in, I don't think their anecdotal evidence from a few shops in two American cities disproves Microsoft's account of the stock situation in "most retailers".