New Persona 4 Spin-Offs Revealed

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Persona 4 Spin-Offs Revealed

The 3DS, Vita and PS3 will all receive new Persona 4 titles that will see players dancing, dungeon diving and duking it out arena-style.

While a recent round of countdowns and teaser sites hosted by Atlus amounted ultimately to the reveal of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129936-Persona-5-Announced-For-PS3>Persona 5, there was also no lack of exciting news for fans of Persona 4 hoping for a little more time with that game's world and cast. In addition to the P5 reveal, this weekend also led to three spin-off announcements that should give players a little bit more of a good thing.

The 3DS, for instance, will be receiving a Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, which will see the cast of Persona 4 meeting up with the characters from Persona 3 for a chibi-styled dungeon crawl experience not too dissimilar from the Etrian Odyssey games. Persona 4: Dancing All Night, meanwhile, will be a "sound action" title for the PlayStation Vita that will see players competing in (we're assuming) quirky battle dances. Finally, the PS3 will be getting Persona 4: The Ultimate Ultra Suplex Hold (aka: Arena 2), a follow-up to Persona 4: Arena.

Persona Q is being slated for a June 5th, 2014 release in Japan, while Dancing All Night and Ultimate Ultra Suplex Hold are coming in fall and summer of 2014, respectively. No North American or European release dates or windows have been mentioned just yet. Even so, what do you think of the new Persona 4 offerings? Are they what you were expecting or hoping for, or has Atlus taking a wrong turn with these spin-offs?

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/24/5139762/persona-5-coming-to-japan-winter-2014-spin-off-titles-announced>Polygon

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
I really enjoyed Persona 4, but I just kinda gave up on the Persona 3. The games take too long and I got sick of the whole timer-thing. Might get Persona 5 if it really streamlines the experience, or else I'll just stick to the tournament fighter.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Wait, the P3 protagonist is playable in the spinoff? Either the game won't be canon, or there's gonna be a pretty significant plot twist involved. :eek:

Honestly, the chibi artstyle is a small price to pay for another decent 3ds rpg. this was an awesome year for the 3ds, but this coming year is absolutely dry. XD

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Persona Q looks cute I guess, but to be honest my interest has always been vested in the combination of gameplay AND story. The fact that the P3 characters are still in their high-school outfits and that Makoto is alive makes it pretty apparent that this is not canon. I may or may not pick it up, but all I can say is that dungeon-crawling was not my favorite aspect of the Persona games.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
All these new titles and still no simple port for Persona 4 for the PS3. This is kind of irritating. If they can make one for the Vita, I am sure it wouldn't be that difficult to add one. The UK still hasn't got a Persona 3 port either.

So all in all, I am not particularly excited, spin-off's tend to be for people who have had the chance to enjoy the original.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Next to P5 and P4 Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold, I'm actually some what hyped for this Persona Q game.
One last non canon adventure with both casts interacting with one another is something that sounds like i'd be fun story wise. As for the gameplay i'm hoping for improvements in the whole grinding and variety in the dungeons that WILL show up in P5 as well as this cute chibi spinoff.
oh there's a dancing game....... an opinion on it?! uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh........ *ends post*

EDIT: Also I'm totally digging the main theme for PQ, I need to shove that thing into my ipod asap.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Persona Q is what piques my interest the most, though Persona 4 Arena's update also interest me due to wanting to know why Atlus is being so secretive with Sho's Persona

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Blergh...I feel like Atlus is unintentionally punishing me for buying a Vita rather than a 3DS. Though honestly, I could care less about these three titles with goddamn P5 around the corner. :)

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
If the chibi persona game is anything like the Naruto Shippuden one on the 3DS then it'll suck.
I wish Atlus would create a device that will cryogenically freeze my body until the release date of Persona 5 in the states.

cyber95

Feb 28, 2008
Now, okay the dancing game is dumb but it does have one thing going for it.

You'll be able to play as Kanji.

In a dancing game.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I will never get enough of Persona in my life. I will be grabbing all of these games on release. I'm also super hype for P5. It's been a long time coming and I'm really looking forward to it. Really hoping for the first canon female protagonist. That would be very cool.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
http://gematsu.com/2013/11/persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-announced-for-3ds

This apparently could end up being canon but who cares about that it looks freaking amazing I'm just as excited for this game as I am for Persona 5. Time-Paradox's FTW!

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I don't really get all the hate I'm seeing for the persona dancing game. Is it because it's a different genre spinoff? well, so was P4A, and people love that. Persona 4 has some amazing music, and this game alone has made me decide to get a vita

Captcha: Lame duck. I guess captcha doesn't like the dancing game either

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
EyeReaper said:
I don't really get all the hate I'm seeing for the persona dancing game. Is it because it's a different genre spinoff?
It would be justified it there wasn't any P5, but yes these people that just hate it because of the genre is like a kid.

Then they're also ignorant of the fact that it's also from the makers of Project Diva.
Project DIVA + Shoji Meguro = Godly music/dancing game.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Kaimax said:
EyeReaper said:
I don't really get all the hate I'm seeing for the persona dancing game. Is it because it's a different genre spinoff?
It would be justified it there wasn't any P5, but yes these people that just hate it because of the genre is like a kid.

Then the laso ignorant of the fact that it's alsom from the makers of Project Diva.
Project DIVA + Shoji Meguro = Godly music/dancing game.
Exactly. Project DIVA Rise Kujikawa pretty much.

Weird thing is while P4D and P4A2 interest me, I probably won't play them. Will probably watch others play them, specifically the P4A2 story mode since it will probably hint at some story elements of P5. Sho I'm almost certain will be in P5, and they're keeping the character very close to their chest so as not to give away too much. Atlus are master trolls after all.

Might rent P4D sometime. Why yes I do still have a GameFly account. Depends on the price really.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I'm honestly not sure which of these I'm hyped for the most. Yes, that includes the dancing game. The Persona series has some of the best music in gaming, so a music game based on it makes sense to me.

Don't have a Vita, but the other two are definitely bought-on-launch titles for me.