Typing of the Dead: Overkill Gets Shakespeare DLC (Seriously)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Typing of the Dead: Overkill Gets Shakespeare DLC (Seriously)

The Typing of the Dead: Overkill just got a whole lot classier (and multiplayer, too).

The Typing of the Dead: Overkill is kind of an unexpected take on the original, turning a "learning is fun!" type of game into an F-bomb-laden homage to grindhouse horror flicks. A little strange, perhaps, but not nearly as flat-out weird as the new Shakespeare DLC, which injects a healthy dose of the Bard into your zombie-slaying keyboard action.

"Bellows-mender!" you'll type in a desperate attempt to escape the withered clutches of the undead. "Seek the beauteous eye of Heaven!" Yeah, I don't get it either. On a (slightly) more serious note, the DLC should add a new level of challenge to the game, since players will be forced to type a lot of unusual, and presumably unfamiliar, words. Sega said this is the first of "many planned lexicon packs."

The Shakespeare DLC is available now on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/] for $2.99. A separate, free update to The Typing of the Dead: Overkill will add a two-player co-operative multiplayer mode to the game is also in the pipe and may well be available by the time you read this. Forsooth!

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/82153/the-typing-of-the-dead-overkill-to-get-many-lexicon]

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
This may be the greatest news story I've heard all year. Gaming related or otherwise.

Can... can I get this on Steam? Because I would totally get this if I could get it on Steam.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
This may be the greatest news story I've heard all year. Gaming related or otherwise.

Can... can I get this on Steam? Because I would totally get this if I could get it on Steam.
Yes. Yes you can get this on Steam :)

OT: I love the fact that this is even a thing.
Someone in an office just went "Hey, Lets make a new Typing of the Dead game!"
And then someone else said "Oh! We should do DLC to make all the words quote Shakespeare!"

I also like the fact they they even still have jobs after that :p

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
New Frontiersman said:

OT: I love the fact that this is even a thing.
Someone in an office just went "Hey, Lets make a new Typing of the Dead game!"
And then someone else said "Oh! We should do DLC to make all the words quote Shakespeare!"

I also like the fact they they even still have jobs after that :p
Hell, I like to think they even got promotions because of it!

Also, this is relevant:

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So have the fixed the game crashing? The most popular threads on the steam discussion are either about the game crashing for people (crashes for me every time I get a slowmo pickup) or how to try and fix the game (which doesn't really work). The game is legit broken for what seems like a lot of people.

EDIT: Apparently the 2GB patch DOES fix a lot of the crashing. I'll be interested in giving it a try.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
New Frontiersman said:

You have no idea how happy that makes me. I now know exactly what I want for Christmas.

Weaver said:
So have the fixed the game crashing? The most popular threads on the steam discussion are either about the game crashing for people (crashes for me every time I get a slowmo pickup) or how to try and fix the game (which doesn't really work). The game is legit broken for what seems like a lot of people and they haven't fixed it yet.
You see, now hearing that makes me very sad. Now I'm not sure if I want to get it or not, if it's going to be crashing on me all the time.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
New Frontiersman said:
Diablo1099 said:
New Frontiersman said:

You have no idea how happy that makes me. I now know exactly what I want for Christmas.

Weaver said:
So have the fixed the game crashing? The most popular threads on the steam discussion are either about the game crashing for people (crashes for me every time I get a slowmo pickup) or how to try and fix the game (which doesn't really work). The game is legit broken for what seems like a lot of people and they haven't fixed it yet.
You see, now hearing that makes me very sad. Now I'm not sure if I want to get it or not, if it's going to be crashing on me all the time.
I'll test it when I get home and let you know how things go :)
(the patch apparently fixed a lot of stuff).

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
New Frontiersman said:

you can get it on steam
hell, you can only get it on steam, since there's no other system where it was released, if I remember correctly
sadly though, no dreamcast+AA battery backpacks

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Every game should have some form of Shakespearean DLC.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I... this is the most incredible news I've heard all day, it'll be hard to top this for the rest of the month :D

New Frontiersman said:

As far as I know, it's only available for PC right now and yes, you can get it on Steam.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
The game's afoot; Follow your spirit: and upon this charge, Cry ? God for Harry! England and Saint George!

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I love this. Already picked it up.

Next we need an exorcism/typing game like this...

THE POWER OF THE BARD COMPELS THEE!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
This has 'twixt my disdain for zombies and my love of Shakespeare set roaring war.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Does this add anything more to the game other than causing new phrases to be used? Cause if not... that doesn't seem like a huge change. It seems more like a $1 DLC, or even free. Then again, it might have been a lot more work than I'm giving them credit for. It just seems like they copy-pasted new phrases from Shakespeare into the code where the original phrases were and called it good.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I want this to become a thing. CoD and Battlefield DLC where you fire not bullets but poetic phrases. Your weapons include Faulkner, Gates, Tennyson, Dickens, Dickenson, and more! Need to lob a flashbang? Why not lob some Gabriel Garcia Marquez to fill up their screen for a moment?

This could actually be a lot of fun. I'll have to get this game.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Kapol said:
Does this add anything more to the game other than causing new phrases to be used? Cause if not... that doesn't seem like a huge change. It seems more like a $1 DLC, or even free. Then again, it might have been a lot more work than I'm giving them credit for. It just seems like they copy-pasted new phrases from Shakespeare into the code where the original phrases were and called it good.
The biggest expense is going to be the guy who has to test all of the new words, because if they miss even one, well, bad press.