Sandy Hook Final Report Finds No Link With Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sandy Hook Final Report Finds No Link With Games

The final report of the investigation into the Sandy Hook School shootings says the killer had "significant mental health issues" but makes no mention of videogames as a factor.

The final report into the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass murder was filed today by State's Attorney Stephen J. Sedensky III. While not intended to "convey every piece of information contained in the voluminous investigation materials," it nonetheless provides a detailed look at the facts of the case, including the background and mental state of the shooter, Adam Lanza.

Lanza was, unsurprisingly, a fan of violent videogames, and police found numerous games in his home including Left 4 Dead, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and Doom, but his real gaming passion appears to have been Dance Dance Revolution, which he played on a very regular basis for hours at a time in the lobby of a local movie theater. The report also notes that at one point, his favorite game was Super Mario Brothers.

He also suffered from a number of psychological issues, diagnosed from the late 90s into the 2000s, including "speech and language needs," as well as seizures; in 2005 he was diagnosed with Asperger's Disorder and "was described as presenting with significant social impairments and extreme anxiety... he lacked empathy and had very rigid thought processes."

His high school writing assignments "obsessed about battles, destruction and war, far more than others his age. The level of violence in the writing was disturbing," the report states. "At the same time, when asked to write a poem, he was able to write a beautiful one and presented it in public." He also suffered from "episodes" which required his mother to come to the school, although "there were no signs of violence during any of these episodes and the shooter was more likely to be victimized than to act in violence against another."

politicians [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122752-Cop-Blames-Videogames-For-Sandy-Hook-Massacre] were quick to place blame for the massacre on videogames but the conclusion of the report makes no mention of them, or anything else, as a causative factor, and acknowledges that it was unable to establish a motive for the rampage. "What we do know is that the shooter had significant mental health issues that, while not affecting the criminality of the shooter's mental state for the crimes or his criminal responsibility for them, did affect his ability to live a normal life and to interact with others, even those to whom he should have been close. Whether this contributed in any way is unknown. The shooter did not recognize or help himself deal with those issues. He had a familiarity with and access to firearms and ammunition and an obsession with mass murders, in particular the Columbine shootings."

The final report into the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting is available here [http://www.ct.gov/csao/lib/csao/Sandy_Hook_Final_Report.pdf].

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
So you're saying, video games don't cause violence any more then movies, books and TV does?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Well, see you guys next mass shooting when this happens all over again.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I will bet that anti-videogame crusaders will keep using Sandy Hook as an example regardless.

Captcha: learn from mistakes. Unfortunately they won't captcha :(

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"He also suffered from a number of psychological issues, diagnosed from the late 90s and in the 2000s..."
"He had a familiarity with and access to firearms and ammunition and an obsession with mass murders..."

Oops. Well, they managed to waste what should be a criminal amount of time and money trying and failing to scapegoat the closest thing that wasn't guns, but on the other hand...actually, that's about it. I guess this is where outrage will get you. Not very far.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Next thing you'll know, Fox news will say that DDR is the most violent videogame game in the history.
Don't give Fox News anymore strange ideas cause they will try to use it as "fact" LOL. Like a father who blamed Minecraft for his son carrying a gun to school? Yes MINECRAFT. What next Farmville promotes unsafe sex and teen pregnancy?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Vindication!

Now with some luck something else will be taking the flak for inspiring violence in people. I vote for the Bible, lots and lots of violence in that.

Spiridion

Oct 17, 2011
Paradox SuXcess said:
What next Farmville promotes unsafe sex and teen pregnancy?
You do spend a lot of time laying down seeds. *badum tss*

At any rate, while it's not really news to any sane or halfway informed individuals, it's still nice to have this stated in an official way. Maybe someday people will learn and start looking at mental illness/irresponsible access to weapons as potential causes first, instead of going after [media that they personally do not enjoy, but is still consumed by millions of well-adjusted adults].

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
For a report that ultimately claims to not know the motivation for Lanza's murder spree, it's interesting how they list seemingly unimportant details in a generic manner ("Comedy videos", "Music"), and yet go into detail for certain things, namely:

The model/manufacturer of the specific weapons he had/used
Specific titles of each video game he owned, specific game save files, and a DDR machine

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
This story just in from the no news to anybody department.

Still violent material including video games can be a fixation for people like Lanza with mental issues. This doesn't mean that they are a cause or motivator but they can serve as a warning sign something isn't right inside a persons head. I sincerely hope people will not use this and other zebra hunts to ignore signs of aberrant social behavior until it's too late.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, a guy who murders a bunch of kids had serious mental issues. Oh, my, who could have possibly guessed that such a thing might be? I mean, people who go on shooting rampages are normally such healthy, well-adjusted individuals, which explains how a lack of adequate mental health care in this country has been an unaddressed issue for so long.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
For anybody who can't be bothered to download the report, here's an excerpt from the conclusion:

Many people have asked why the shooter did what he did on December 14, 2012. Or, in the vernacular of the criminal justice system, "Did he have a motive to do what he did?" This investigation, with the substantial information available, does not establish a conclusive motive.

What we do know is that the shooter had significant mental health issues that, while not affecting the criminality of the shooter's mental state for the crimes or his criminal responsibility for them, did affect his ability to live a normal life and to interact with others, even those to whom he should have been close. Whether this contributed in any way is unknown. The shooter did not recognize or help himself deal with those issues. He had a familiarity with and access to firearms and ammunition and an obsession with mass murders, in particular the Columbine shootings[...]
So it's, "We don't know what drove him to do it," followed by, "Oh, he had access to guns and training, had mental 'issues' and was fascinated by Columbine."

I guess we'll never know.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
I'm going to be really heartless and say that more of these "accidents" are going to happen before society is willing to grow up and give blame where due. A classic case of ignoring a problem until it's to big to ignore.

Not that people are ever going to stop killing one another. Unless you find a way to destroy free will.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Super Mario Brothers.
Good Sir, I do believe a Found that link between violents and videogames. Allow me to present exibits A and B...

I thus put forth a motion to ban all games that feature this...this... Monster...

For the good of the children...

Jun 20, 2013
What can be said? We live in a sensationalist media-crazed world that loves to omit and ignore the weight of evidence. It goes that you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. So is the way with conclusive study of causative factors. The anti-gaming community will be back to their antics immediately, assuming they momentarily paused in the first place.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
So the long and short is that there were red flags and warning signs everywhere that this kind might pop, and yet they were all ignored. Violence in his writing, multiple mental health issues, obsessions with weapons, battles, and violence, and a fascination with frickin' Columbine. Granted, it's sad that his mother was the first victim of his killing spree...but you're really have to hope she'd keep the weapons securely locked away so that her disturbed son in particular wouldn't have access to them.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
So, a guy who murders a bunch of kids had serious mental issues. Oh, my, who could have possibly guessed that such a thing might be? I mean, people who go on shooting rampages are normally such healthy, well-adjusted individuals, which explains how a lack of adequate mental health care in this country has been an unaddressed issue for so long.
The did say that they didn't know if his mental issues had anything to do with it.

Doing something terribly wrong isn't proof a person has mental illness.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
"He had a familiarity with and access to firearms and ammunition..."

I kind of assume this when I hear about anyone shooting people.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
FizzyIzze said:
For anybody who can't be bothered to download the report, here's an excerpt from the conclusion:

Many people have asked why the shooter did what he did on December 14, 2012. Or, in the vernacular of the criminal justice system, "Did he have a motive to do what he did?" This investigation, with the substantial information available, does not establish a conclusive motive.

What we do know is that the shooter had significant mental health issues that, while not affecting the criminality of the shooter's mental state for the crimes or his criminal responsibility for them, did affect his ability to live a normal life and to interact with others, even those to whom he should have been close. Whether this contributed in any way is unknown. The shooter did not recognize or help himself deal with those issues. He had a familiarity with and access to firearms and ammunition and an obsession with mass murders, in particular the Columbine shootings[...]
So it's, "We don't know what drove him to do it," followed by, "Oh, he had access to guns and training, had mental 'issues' and was fascinated by Columbine."

I guess we'll never know.
I can understand that they would hesitate to just say he was insane and that's all we need to know. We can't provide empirical evidence as to what exactly motivated him, but we can certainly see the effects of mental health on the decision making process and what it can drive someone to do. Reports like this have to be conclusive. For people like us who are allowed to reach a conclusion based on common sense, it seems silly to not just say too many guns plus untreated mental illness equals mass shootings. I wish legislators would take reports like this, beat each other over the head, and agree to pass some meaningful gun control laws and increase funding for diagnosing, treating, and assisting people with mental health issues.

To me it's completely insane that we're ignoring the people most likely to go out and kill us and that everyone in the US isn't demanding we figure out how to help these people before they act.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
What, games don't come into it at all? I'm shocked. In fact, they should do another report, just to be sure. Familiarity with and access to firearms, an obsession with mass murders and significant mental health issues can't have been the ONLY contributing factors!