iBuyPower Reveals Its First Retail Steam Machine Prototype

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
iBuyPower Reveals Its First Retail Steam Machine Prototype

iBuyPower says that it is targeting a "2014" launch.

When Valve revealed the iBuyPower [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128156-Valve-Unveils-Steam-Machines-Hardware-Beta-Coming-Soon], which has just revealed the first images of its own take on the Steam Machine.

In an interview with Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/25/commercial-steambox-prototype/], iBuyPower says that its prototypes are running an early build of Steam OS, but it's not quite a finished product. It is targeting a "2014" release date, but says it is still early days and was unable to narrow it down any further than that.

[gallery=1925]

iBuyPower says that it actually has two models, appropriately code-named Gordon and Freeman, in the works. The two consoles are identical, save for the light bar round the middle: one model's is clear, while the other's is black when not illuminated. While the PC manufacturer did not give an specifics on what's inside these boxes, it did confirm that the Steam Machines will run all Steam titles in 1080p resolution at 60fps.

It looks like production of the Steam Machines are now in full swing, and we'll just have to wait until the Consumer Electronics Show 2014, where iBuyPower and Valve will be showing off some Steam Machine prototypes.

Source & Images: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/25/commercial-steambox-prototype/]

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
No specs means we can't say anything about it. It could feasibly run what it says in the article, but maybe when other graphical are set to lowest.

This post was provided to you by captain obvious.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Are they nuts? it's white... who has ever seen or wanted a white steam skin.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sofus said:
Are they nuts? it's white... who has ever seen or wanted a white steam skin.
Racists? I agree with you, white consoles stand out more and I kinda want them to match the rest of my setup.

hickwarrior said:
No specs means we can't say anything about it. It could feasibly run what it says in the article, but maybe when other graphical are set to lowest.

Hi there, Captain Obvious, huge fan of your work. I was really hoping to see some specs when I read the headline of this article and I didn't read much of the article at first, I simply scanned the text for some information about the specs.

I like how this looks, my main problem with PC gaming on the TV using a wireless controller has always been the fact that my PC is kinda big and bulky, but with a box like this I could easily do it. Hopefully we get some with lower specs that can be used for streaming, that would save me some money and I already have a decent enough computer.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
hickwarrior said:

Exactly. Claiming that your machine can run all Steam titles at that level is almost equivalent to saying "it plays video games".

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Yopaz said:
Sofus said:
I like how this looks, my main problem with PC gaming on the TV using a wireless controller has always been the fact that my PC is kinda big and bulky, but with a box like this I could easily do it. Hopefully we get some with lower specs that can be used for streaming, that would save me some money and I already have a decent enough computer.
I'll haveto wait and see myself. Depends on how fast the system will be outpaced though. I would get it if I could get a price check on it. But we'll have to wait and see how ittle dew.

However, I think I'll just be getting a regular machine and installing the OS on it. Wonder if there'll be a browser on it...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
hickwarrior said:
Yopaz said:
Sofus said:
I'll haveto wait and see myself. Depends on how fast the system will be outpaced though. I would get it if I could get a price check on it. But we'll have to wait and see how ittle dew.

However, I think I'll just be getting a regular machine and installing the OS on it. Wonder if there'll be a browser on it...
Small systems often have some serious issues with heat, which concerns me. I don't want to melt my GPU. I would simply like to have a more portable gaming PC and this suits that need, but I want to know the specs and the price before I make up my mind. I already have a computer that can take care of my PC gaming and I will probably test SteamOS on it, but it's too big to bring with me during the summer or Christmas breaks.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It really isn't much news when they got only and empty box for show, let us know when you got the spec list and prices because that is what will decide the fate of this thing.

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
I still don´t get it. Why would you ever need a Steam Box? It´s just a PC IN WHITE!!!
Can you do also normal PC stuff with it, like use Word or Excel? Because i can already do
work and play Steam Games on my normal PC. Which also can be connected to my Television if
I like to.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Ichigo said:
I still don´t get it. Why would you ever need a Steam Box? It´s just a PC IN WHITE!!!
Can you do also normal PC stuff with it, like use Word or Excel? Because i can already do
work and play Steam Games on my normal PC. Which also can be connected to my Television if
I like to.
It's for console gamers.

And I think it's a very good idea. It's a console that already has a bigger and better library of games than any console currently on the market. Not to mention Steam sales. And with the new controller, you can play games that don't support one natively. That's what I'm interested in the most. I cannot fathom why Bioware didn't include gamepad support in any of the Mass Effect games. Steam controller fixes that.

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
I´m a console gamer myself too.
And also a huge PC gamer, because FPS aren´t ment to be played without a mouse.
On the other hand I would never play fighting games (if i would play them) on a PC.

Still, buying a PC if your old one isn´t fast enough makes more sence to me, because it can do more besides gaming.
You can also use the steam controller on it. Is there anyone who has
to work or study but not owns a PC on this planet? Or is it because sitting
in a chair is to much work?
If the controller is really good I might get one myself but i still think
the Box itself is pointless in any way.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
It looks like a Wii and a 360 made love, then fostered the child out to a PS4; who raised it to not be quite so ostentatiously inclined.

Without specs, there's not a lot else to say on the matter at the moment. Possibly also room in there somewhere for a "lol 1080p" comment or two though.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
hickwarrior said:

They posted the specs of the 300 Beta consoles a early last month.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128435-Valve-Announces-Steam-Machine-Prototype-Specs.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
From PC Gamer, this box has an AMD multi core CPU, R9 270X and all the usual stuff like 500GB HDD, wifi ect. for $500. So it's more powerful than the PS4 (before anyone brings up optimisation, the PS4 has a long way to go before it's even on par with PC tech that it's as powerful as on paper, never mind more powerful systems - it couldn't even run BF4 at 1080p), with much cheaper games, and free online play for $100 more. Seems a pretty good deal to me. Unless this is an outlier and turns out to be the very cheapest this kind of spec gets, traditional consoles are going to be in for a rough ride over the coming years when linux support inevietably blooms under the stewardship of Valve. All hail the open consoles!

Ed130 said:
hickwarrior said:

hickwarrior said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128435-Valve-Announces-Steam-Machine-Prototype-Specs.
That's the valve prototype :)

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Ed130 said:
hickwarrior said:

hickwarrior said:

Which means next to nothing because that was just Valve's highly experimental in-house build for a high end model that will never see retail shelves.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Ed130 said:
TheComfyChair said:
That's the valve prototype :)
Yes, the prototypes that are being sent out to 300 lucky Beta testers.
Indeed, but this prototype isn't the valve one. it's the ibuypower one, it has different specs :D Go over to PCGamer.com or just look up there ^^^ at my last post if you want to know vaguely what's inside.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'll wait until someone makes a Steam Machine that looks like a companion cube, then I'm sold on the idea.