Stalin vs. Martians Boldly Returns Via Kickstarter Campaign

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Stalin vs. Martians Boldly Returns Via Kickstarter Campaign

[kickstarter=895349342/stalin-vs-martians-3]Stalin vs. Martians 3's Kickstarter is hoping you've forgotten the awful mess that was Stalin vs. Martians.

Remember Stalin vs. Martians? Back in 2008, this was an RTS that showed lots of potential, even to non-RTS fans. Boasting easy-to-learn gameplay, Monty Pythonesque humor, and a version of Stalin <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83467-Stalin-vs-Martians-Coming-This-Fall>five times bigger than any in-game unit, Stalin vs. Martians assured players it would emphasize fun over strategy. Well, it turns out that Stalin vs. Martians was a far better marketing campaign <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6063-Review-Stalin-vs-Martians>than, you know, an actual game. The finished product was poorly designed, had clunky controls, limited players to a single screen resolution, and generally fell flat on its face. Valve ultimately pulled the game from Steam's catalog, and it's wallowed in obscurity ever since. So imagine my surprise when I learn that Stalin vs. Martians 3 not only has its own Kickstarter page, but is asking for $125,000 to bring perhaps the least-demanded sequel ever into reality.

Stalin vs. Martians 3's marketing is, at the very least, as hilariously outrageous as the original. Outlining its core gameplay as "Battletech meets Desert Strike meets Cannon Fodder meets your mom", Stalin vs. Martians 3 is a faux-strategy game that offers exaggerated Russian hijinks and over-the-top action above all else. With a new team including individuals from S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Cossacks II: Napoleonic Wars, and CrimeCraft, Stalin vs. Martians 3 promises to be a bigger and functional version of what came before, complete with casual mini-games, a new soundtrack, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89990-Stalin-Vs-Martians>even more laugh-worthy videos.

If you're anything like me, your confidence in this project largely depends on whether you spent $15 on Stalin vs. Martians years ago. To its credit, the Kickstarter page does try to acknowledge the failings of its predecessor. "Okay, Stalin vs. Martians wasn't really a game," it reads. "It was an art installation. It was playable sometimes, but it wasn't all about gaming." According to the team, the real reason Stalin vs. Martians failed was because its budget was microscopically small, forcing developers to rush out a beta version for release. "The most crushing thing was that all of these happened during the crisis of the economy ... making a great strategy game wasn't our goal from day one. The game is not about that. But releasing a beta-version wasn't our intention."

You know, even after all this time, I really would like to play a hilariously exaggerated game of Russian propaganda and alien invasions. But if I'm going to buy that game, let alone drop money on a Kickstarter with more stretch goals than screenshots, I need more to go on. I can't in good conscience support a project that uses the same marketing campaign as a failed game from 2008, no matter how good that campaign ultimately is.

Stalin vs. Martians 3 team: We all know you have a great premise. Seriously, it's amazing to watch and the videos make us laugh. But what we really want is solid gameplay to back up your claims. Can you please show us that?

Source: <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/895349342/stalin-vs-martians-3>Kickstarer

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I do enjoy their particular brand of crazy but ideas alone do not a game make, they got about 20 more years to go before I would willingly play or pay for their games.

It would be the perfect opportunity to step it up now that both Warcraft and Red Alert went to shit, silly adventure RTS is something we are missing.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
If this wasn't a sequel from an already released game...

I'd swear it was some kind of scam.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
I think crazy people need money and these people seem very crazy :) might back a small amount for giggles and in the name of desposable income.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
This promotional video is terrible, really really terrible.

Its not the accent; its this producer who just won't stop talking about how innovative he is.

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
Ugh.

I agree with Marshall Lemon, my confidence in this game is entirely dependent on whether or not I purchased the last one. Which, I did, and it was abysmal. Even as a purposefully self-effacing game.

I was in the middle of a particularly strong Russian history bender and it was mildly amusing until I realized that burning the money would have been as amusing for about the same length of time.

Save $25, watch the videos of Stalin dancing on Youtube.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Well... if there was something I'd like to start kicking, it would be Stalin Vs. Martians.

Just not in the way they would prefer.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I feel asthough this video has to be mentioned, did anybody else follow this guy back in the day?