GameMaker Studio Standard Free For a Limited Time

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GameMaker Studio Standard Free For a Limited Time

Would-be developers can currently jump on GameMaker train without spending a penny of their own cash.

Ask some random gamers and you probably wouldn't be hard pressed to find at least a few who harbor aspirations of, someday, making their own mark on the industry. Sadly, as most developers can attest, the actual process of making games is frequently quite hard. Even when you have all the other ducks in a row -mechanics, art resources, audio- piecing it all together into a working hunk of software can be a process well beyond the skill set of your average starry-eyed gamer with a dream.

Luckily, programs like YoYo Games' GameMaker Studio can provide a somewhat more accessible alternative to the typical rigors of programming. That said, if you're among the developer-to-be crowd, you may want to check out GameMaker sometime in the very near future as it's currently possible to get the Standard edition of the program, normally valued at $49, for free.

All you need to do is <a href=http://www.yoyogames.com/studio/download>download the free edition of the program, version 1.2.1214 or later. Once you've installed it, it will ask you if you want to use GameMaker as a part of the "beta updates channel." Choose this option and you'll then be directed to register for a license key that will be sent to your email. Using this key will, in turn, unlock the Standard edition. The Standard edition is very similar to the free version of GameMaker Studio, but adds in the handy unlimited resource feature. Games made with the Standard edition are compatible for release on Windows PC, Windows 8 and Mac OS X. Put shortly, it's an opportunity to get a great program for free, and we're not going to argue with that.

Source: GameMaker Blog via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/26/5149048/gamemaker-studio-standard-edition-free-to-download-for-limited-time>Polygon

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Given it a download, no real experience with game making but I'm not going to say no to a free copy :)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Same, JoJo. I just hope the Standard Edition won't suddenly turn back into a Trial Edition at some point, because I know I won't get around to trying this out in the near future...

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Ok, must be doing something wrong, I'm not offered the beta updates channel option upon installing.

Damned if I can figure out where I've gone wrong though

grimallq

Aug 25, 2009
Note the version numbers. Their standard installer is version 1.2.1135 and you need at least 1.2.1214. Run the program once after installing. You'll be asked if you want to use the beta update or the stable update channel, chose the beta channel. You should then get a licence prompt and an update request. Ignore the licence and run the update. After updating and restarting you should see a different licence prompt with "Free Standard Edition" option.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I've been learning game development for nearly two years now and I can tell you the programming is about the easiest part of the whole exercise.

Here is a game I've been working on for the last month or so in gamemaker and after I add challenges/achievements I'm planning on releasing it to indie stores for 1.99. I don't expect to get any sales but I just want the experience of having released a game.

if anyone has any questions about getting started with gamemaker or how to get started in game development in general feel free to PM me and I'll try to help as best as I can

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Awesome. I have to say, some of the games that have come from this have been pretty amazing. I honestly can't get enough of Risk of Rain at the moment, that game consumes me for hours whenever I start it up. I hadn't realized it was made on this till going to the website though.

Danny Troop

Nov 27, 2013
The download link on the page automatically starts downloading the .exe version of the installer, so what do us Mac peeps do for this download? It shows that it's available on OSX, but there's no option to change the default. Any help?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I have little to no experience with GameMaker. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try.

*makes a horrible, disgusting mess of a Tetris game*

I'm proud of it.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I had to pay $200 for my companies 2 copies about a year and half ago. Sorta disappointed. Sadly, although it is the best 2D engine to learn and build a base off of, Unity's new 2D engine is way more flexible.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Game Maker is a pretty neat little thing. I bought a copy a little while ago and used a game engine someone made off another game engine someone made and added a bunch of stuff myself. So if anyone wants to know the kind of stuff you can do in gamemaker, here is a good example:
I'm a level designer more then anything else. That said, while I may have been using other people's engines, I did code all those moving platforms, Koopa Troopas full of lava, the Super Metroid stuff and the Ice powerup. It was very fun.
(Please forgive the slowdown, that's my PC trying to run this and fraps at the same time)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Danny Troop said:
The download link on the page automatically starts downloading the .exe version of the installer, so what do us Mac peeps do for this download? It shows that it's available on OSX, but there's no option to change the default. Any help?
I think it's only the games you create that will run on Mac, not the program itself.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I'd get it, but after checking http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ & http://www.websitenotworking.com/ the site is definitely down.

Now if there was just a free version of RPGmaker.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I've never done anything like this... Could be fun, maybe I'm more creative then I know, we'll see.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
I tried buying Game makers standard edition a long time ago but it ran into some problem where my code wouldn't work and I found myself out 30 bucks for nothing, will be nice to finally get what I paid for.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
likalaruku said:
I'd get it, but after checking http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ & http://www.websitenotworking.com/ the site is definitely down.

Now if there was just a free version of RPGmaker.
There is, alas its a demo at best. Although since there is a steam sale going on, just get RPGmaker VX Ace there, its 50% off right now, might be more if you wait for a flash or daily though, so i'd wait and check periodically until december 3rd ;P