Hawkeye and Saga Make Official Selection List at Comics Festival

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Hawkeye and Saga Make Official Selection List at Comics Festival

The largest comics festival in Europe, the Angoulême International Comics Festival, has announced its Official Selection List, from which its "Best Album", "Angoulême Essentials", and other prizes will be awarded.

The Angoulême International Comics Festival revealed its Official Selection List for 2014, containing 35 titles from around the world. The winners of the festival's prestigious awards will be selected from this list. The festival awards a "Best Album" prize, five "Angoulême Essentials" prizes, one "Essential" prize chosen by the public and one "Revelation Essential" awarded to a new creator. Awards for reprinted material and for young adult comics are selected from separate pools (the "Heritage Essential" and "Youth Essential", respectively). A lifetime achievement award in comics, the "Grand Pix de la Ville D'Angoulême", is also awarded each year. The festival has run every January since 1974 in Angoulême, France. In 2014, the festival will run from January 30 through February 2.

Marvel's Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon, penned by Matt Fraction and illustrated by David Aja and Javier Pulido, has made the prestigious list. The new Hawkeye series began in August 2012 and has amassed a significant fan following while telling stories of what the Avenger does on his days off. Aja received two Eisner Awards [http://www.comic-con.org/awards/eisners-current-info] (Best Cover Artist and tied for Best Artist/Penciller/Inker) for his work on the series this year.

Saga, Volume 1 from artist Fiona Staples and writer Brian K. Vaughan also made the selection list. The part space-opera, part fantasy epic series has struggled with digital distribution issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123195-Comixology-Dropped-Saga-12-Not-Apple] over its graphic depictions of sex. The series won three Eisner Awards in 2013: Best Continuing Series, Best New Series, and Best Writer.

Also included in the selection list are the French translations of dark fantasy Japanese manga series Attack on Titan by Hajime Isayama and American cartoonist Alison Bechdel's graphic memoir Are You My Mother?. The Bechdel Test for gender bias in fiction is named after Alison Bechdel, who attributes the idea to a friend, Liz Wallace, and first presented it in her long-running comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For [http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/].

Here is the complete Official Selection List, with English titles provided where available:

Ainsi se tut Zarathoustra, Nicholas Wild
Annie Sullivan & Helen Keller, Joseph Lambert
Attack on Titan, Hajime Isayama
Are You My Mother?, Alison Bechdel
Carnet du Pérou - Sur la route de Cuzco, Fabcaro
Cesare, Book 1, Fuyumi Soryo
Charly 9, Richard Guérineau, Jean Tuelé
Le chien qui louche, Étienne Davodeau
Come Prima, Alfred
Deadline, Lauren-Frédéric Bollée, Christian Rossi
L'Étranger (D'après l'uvre d'Albert Camus, Jacques Ferrandez
Fenêtres sur Rue - Matinées / Soirées, Pascal Rabarté
Fuzz and Pluck in Splitsville #2, Ted Steam
Goggles, Tetsuya Toyoda
Goliath, Tom Guald
Les guerres silencieuses, Jaime Martin
Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon , Matt Fraction, David Aja
In God We Trust, Winshluss
Jonathan Tome 16 - Celle qui fut, Cosey
Kililana Song Tome 2, Benjamin Flao
LastMan Tome 1, Balak, Michaël Sanlaville, Bastien Vivès
The Book of Leviathan, Peter Blegvad
Macanudo 4, Liniers
Mauvais Genre, Chloé Cruchaudet
My Friend Dahmer, Derf Backderf
Opus, Book 1, Satoshi Kon
Paco - Les main rouges Tome 1, Éric Sagot, Fabien Vehlmann
Un petit détour et autre racontars, Tome 3, Gwen de Bonneval, Hervé Tanquerelle
The Property, Rutu Modan
King of the Flies Book 3 - Happy Days, Mezzo, Pirus
Saga, Book 1, Fiona Staples, Brian K. Vaughan
Les Temps Mauvais - Madrid 1936-1939, Carlos Gimenez
La tendresse des pierres, Marion Fayolle
Vapor, Max
Les voleurs de Carthage Tome 1 - Le Serment du Tophet, Appollo, Hervé Tanquerelle

Source: Angoulême Festival International de la Bande Dessinée [http://www.bdangouleme.com/402,selection-officielle?id_selection=16]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A friend recently loaned me the first two volumes of Saga, and it's one of the best things I've read in any medium in a few years. Cheers to its creators; I hope it wins.