Command & Conquer: Renegade HD Fan Remake Deploys This February

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Command & Conquer: Renegade HD Fan Remake Deploys This February

Command & Conquer: Renegade will return as Renegade X, a free multiplayer tactical shooter that faithfully modernizes the 12-year old original.

There's no denying that Command & Conquer is a strategy series at heart, but its long history of real-time tactics has one major exception: Command & Conquer: Renegade, a first-person shooter from 2002 that brought the war between GDI and the Brotherhood of Nod to a more personal level. It's now a largely forgotten gem, but a handful of devoted fans have been rebuilding the game's memorable multiplayer from the ground up. After a long wait, their modern remake, Renegade X, has a release date, a new trailer, and a whole lot of hype.

Renegade X features over 30 weapons, 15 vehicles, and a number of special character pulled straight from Westwood's original game. If you've never played its precursor, the multiplayer took the form of a unique class-based strategic battle that incorporated some of the strategy games' base management mechanics. Each team has a base made up of various structures like barracks and power plants. If you could destroy those structures, either with a coordinated assault on the exterior or infiltration to the vulnerable control panel inside, the other team would lose its functionality, leaving them unable to purchase certain weapons, vehicles, or upgrades depending on which building was destroyed. Players could also harvest Tiberium deposits on the battlefield to earn money with which to help their team.

The team behind Renegade X has been working on the game in their spare time, and plans to release it for free on February 26, 2014 - the 12th anniversary of Renegade's original release. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go find my old installation discs.

Source: Renegade X [http://www.renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=71031]

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I'll be more excited for this if they ever do the single player campaign. For an easier method than searching for discs you may not have anymore I recommend finding the First Decade pack EA released a few years ago that has C&C 1 through Generals on it. You can get it for $20 or less now.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
EA's been on my Do Not Pay Money To list for a while now.
If they do a Black Mesa Source and acknowledge these people they may just get off that list.
And also the sun may rise in the west, and the mountains may blow in the wind like leaves.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Despite some problems I really enjoyed C&C Renegade so this is right up my alley! Here's hoping EA isn't their usual dick selves and force them to take it down.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
lol, i played it only once and thats it. the SP was rather "meh" and at that time i dint find any good MP servers. if its for free, maybe i will get it but otherwise i coulndt care less.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
EA Exec: Hmm, it seems we didn't try hard enough to destroy Command & Conquer. Now these upstarts are trying to correct out mistakes, well we can't have that. Quick, get the lawyers!

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
gamegod25 said:
Despite some problems I really enjoyed C&C Renegade so this is right up my alley! Here's hoping EA isn't their usual dick selves and force them to take it down.
008Zulu said:
EA Exec: Hmm, it seems we didn't try hard enough to destroy Command & Conquer. Now these upstarts are trying to correct out mistakes, well we can't have that. Quick, get the lawyers!
They have permission from EA, they are just not allowed to profit from it.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Comon guys! Gunner rush on Obs!

Gonna check this out, that shooter was fun as hell even as unbalanced as it was at times.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Can't wait! Renegade was really an interesting game, and while I never played multiplayer (mainly because I didn't get it at launch and therefore servers were empty by the time I was playing) I think I will really enjoy this!

Kane lives in death!

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
awesome!

I played the original Renegade back in the days - lots of fun.

Aside from the original team fortress mod to quake, then this was the first class-based FPS I ever really played online. Loved it.

Also Mammoth tanks. Because mammoth tanks

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Whoa, they're releasing it as a free stand-alone?! It was an Unreal Tournament 3 mod last time I checked. That's awesome, now I can play it (just as soon as I get a halfway decent computer).

I remember playing the original Renegade multiplayer back in the day. I typically went Engineer, as random latency issues and lag spikes typically made for rather dodgy gameplay for combat classes. The class played much like the Medic from TF2, except your beam gun could repair vehicles and buildings as well as heal allies.

While I prefer the Red Alert universe, I do enjoy the setting of the original Command and Conquer (and by extension Renegade). We didn't know it at the time, but the conflict between GDI (a NATO-esque military organization with corporate ties) and NOD (a global terrorist organization with a charismatic leader) proved to be strangely prescient of what was to come in the real world.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Neat. I used to play a lot of Renegade multiplayer.

Only one major exception, indeed. No one remembers Lone Survivor.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I played this game to death on LANs back in the day. Me and a bunch of friends (and friends of friends that invited themselves) had tonnes of fun with Renegade. I still got the original discs in a shelf right next to me :)

Sure it was a bit unpolished, and some multiplayer classes were more shit than others, but it was the most fun I ever had playing an FPS in multiplayer. Everything since has only appealed to me with its singleplayer content, and nothing more.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
TheSYLOH said:
EA's been on my Do Not Pay Money To list for a while now.
If they do a Black Mesa Source and acknowledge these people they may just get off that list.
And also the sun may rise in the west, and the mountains may blow in the wind like leaves.
err this is a mod using UT5 engine and its free.
Ive been waiting for the mod to be finished, glad to see it continue.

Bindal said:
No Singleplayer? No interest.
Well A its a free stand alone mod and B it does have a SP campaign that was released months ago.