Super Mario 3D World Had The Worst Debut Week of Any 3D Mario Game

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Mario 3D World Had The Worst Debut Week of Any 3D Mario Game

Super Mario 3D World only managed to move 106,967 units in its first week in Japan.

The numbers have come in for Nintendo's latest Mario title: Super Mario 3D World, and I'm afraid it's not looking good. The title has had the worst debut week of any 3D Mario game ever, managing to move only 106,967 units in Japan. For perspective, the fastest-selling Mario, Super Mario 3D World's 3DS cousin: Super Mario 3D Land, moved 344,698 units in it's first week.

Here's the full list of 3D Mario platformers, and their respective week one and lifetime sales for comparison:

Super Mario 3D Land - 344,698 (1,861,023 total)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 337,569 (1,032,853 total)
Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610 (789,989 total)
Super Mario Galaxy - 256,341 (1,025,664 total)
Super Mario 64 - 162,113 (1,639,914 total)
Super Mario 64 DS - 120,062 (1,231,535 total)
Super Mario 3D World - 106,967

It's worth noting that the Wii U currently has a smaller install base than the other Nintendo platforms have had in the past, but it's still not a good sign that even a Mario game (and a fantastic Mario game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10754-Super-Mario-3D-World-Review] at that) still can't sell consoles.

These figures are also solely for Japan, so the excuse of "well, it had to compete against the launch of next-gen" doesn't fly either, as neither the PS4 or the Xbox One will launch in the region until next year.

Source: Neogaf [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=91488037#post91488037]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
That's really a shame, I have the game and it's quite a lot of fun to play. Hopefully things look better for the Wii U eventually, in this case when Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 launch. Because honestly if those don't move units then nothing will move the Wii U.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
I guess it's up to smash bros then. I'm sure that will sell. Mario Cart I'm not so sure about though. Not that I've looked at the figures of recent games, but the big 8 on the end makes me think that if people aren't getting psyched for Mario platformers, the 8th Mario cart might not do. It for them either.
...But I'm sure Smash Bros will sell.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Might want to edit your formatting a bit. A bit wonky.

That's a shame about the new game. I'm still looking forward to it however.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Nintendo has re-released the same games over and over so much it's no surprise people are over it, esp now that the graphical difference isn't as apparent. Maybe Nintendo will finally do more new IPs rather than the same 5 old rehashes ........ yeah right.

*activates Nintendo fanboy shield*

Before certain people jump up and down, I have the Wii, as well as the other consoles of this generation and will be getting the Wii U for the next after the PS4, this isn't Nintendo hate but rather someone who wants more variety, not just kiddy games. That's why the PlayStation is my preferred console, it's got the best variety that's only beaten by PC.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Huh, that's surprising. I won't be getting it however. I have a Wii U, and a 3DS with 3D Land on it, and I just don't like that one enough to get this. I miss the Mario 64 way of doing it, with properly open worlds, and none of that time limit thing. That was OK in the older games, but I'm not a fan of it in these. But the level design is the bigger thing for me. I want open worlds, not halfway sidescrolling like in 3D Land. Anyway, I really do hope it picks up, as I love the Wii U.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Jeez, that's terrible. And I keep hearing it's one of the best Mario games in years.

It's gotta be the WiiU. It's gotta be. Totally.

If the WiiU's poor sales didn't play some major part in the sales of 3D World, I'd be surprised.

But hey, once the new Smash Bros. comes out, the WiiU will sell like hotcakes.

...Unless everyone gets the 3DS version. Which is probably more likely.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I love Nintendo, and would love if the WiiU succeeded, but that's clearly not possible.
I think it's time Nintendo cut their WiiU losses, and capitalized on their strengths by going purely handheld.
The 3DS is doing gangbusters, and has nothing in the way of competition, Nintendo could just be the handheld company.
Or in some theoretical alternate universe, Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Wait, Japan only numbers. Are the other numbers also Japan-only? And I know "it doesn't have to compete with next-gen" does make it less impressive, but also not being out anywhere but Japan certainly doesn't help.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
Souplex said:
I love Nintendo, and would love if the WiiU succeeded, but that's clearly not possible.
Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.
You don't think that if Sony did happen to buy up Nintendo (not ever happening) they wouldn't strip away everything that made Nintendo unique? I wouldn't want a Beyond: Two Marios: Revengeance: Luigi's Deception

I'm 99% sure that the lack of ownership is due to the fact nobody knows what the hell a Wii U is compared to a regular Wii. I was at Best Buy and had to explain to some dad shopping for gifts what the difference was because the employee didn't know. Sad because I've only heard good things from friends who have one.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Wait, Japan only numbers. Are the other numbers also Japan-only? And I know "it doesn't have to compete with next-gen" does make it less impressive, but also not being out anywhere but Japan certainly doesn't help.
The game is out worldwide, Nintendo launched it worldwide on the 22nd, yes the same day as the launch of the Xbox One. The article is pointing out that compared to all other 3D Mario games in their first week, this has sold the least amount. Really it'll be up to the US sales to help this game out more because expecting a Nintendo game to sell boatloads in Europe is like expecting Microsoft to get a strong foothold in the Japanese market with the Xbox One. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Yoshi4102 said:
Souplex said:
Sony could just admit that the PSP brand has failed, buy up Nintendo, and then we could have Nintendo games on a home console with market penetration, and Sony games on a decent handheld.
*Sighs* If only.
You don't think that if Sony did happen to buy up Nintendo (not ever happening) they wouldn't strip away everything that made Nintendo unique? I wouldn't want a Beyond: Two Marios: Revengeance: Luigi's Deception

I'm 99% sure that the lack of ownership is due to the fact nobody knows what the hell a Wii U is compared to a regular Wii. I was at Best Buy and had to explain to some dad shopping for gifts what the difference was because the employee didn't know. Sad because I've only heard good things from friends who have one.
Funny thing, I was at a Best Buy yesterday and managed to sell 6 Wii U's to people because they had no idea what it was, and the store people had no idea either. :p
Also Sony wouldn't strip Nintendo of what makes them unique. People seem to forget that Sony has games that are cartoony still and makes plenty of them actually...>.>

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
Neronium said:
Funny thing, I was at a Best Buy yesterday and managed to sell 6 Wii U's to people because they had no idea what it was, and the store people had no idea either. :p
Also Sony wouldn't strip Nintendo of what makes them unique. People seem to forget that Sony has games that are cartoony still and makes plenty of them actually...>.>
Makes me so sad that Nintendo screwed the pooch on this one, I knew from the moment the name was announced that people weren't gonna know what the damn thing was. The fact that customers have to tell the employees what it is is pretty bad.

Sony does have cartoony stuff too, but Nintendo just has that... Nintendo charm. I really don't know any other way to explain it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well if there aren't many people owning the WiiU then there won't be many people buying the games eihter, quite simple.
I will get this as soon as I have played the few games I haven't finished yet.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
So I guess finally being able to play as princess peach in a catsuit wasn't the saving grace nintendo needed?

I do find it funny how low these sales are though, people everywhere seem to love this game, maybe its a lot better over here in the states or something

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
So the only Mario in recent years that even though its still just a Mario game does seem to have quite a lot of cool stuff making it a very good platformer is the one that sells the worst? I guess Nintento shouldnt have milked Mario away with the mediocre as shit NSMB games (they really didnt do anything worth while)

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Well, it's sort of working on me as this game is the reason i'll eventually pick up a Wii-U when they've given it a hefty price cut.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Neronium said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
The game is out worldwide, Nintendo launched it worldwide on the 22nd, yes the same day as the launch of the Xbox One. The article is pointing out that compared to all other 3D Mario games in their first week, this has sold the least amount. Really it'll be up to the US sales to help this game out more because expecting a Nintendo game to sell boatloads in Europe is like expecting Microsoft to get a strong foothold in the Japanese market with the Xbox One. It's possible, but highly unlikely.
I live in Australia and I can confirm they did not launch it "worldwide" or I'd be playing right now ;(