The Last of Us Movie Domain Registered

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Last of Us Movie Domain Registered

The Last of Us was already a cinematic game, but it may be making the leap to the silver screen before too long.

Movies based on video games tend not to do too well, but if any studio's games stand a chance of reversing that trend, it might be Naughty Dog's. The Uncharted series already plays out like an interactive version of the best pulp action movies, and The Last of Us keeps up the developer's tradition of superb cutscenes. A recent domain registration may be evidence that Naughty Dog is preparing to convert one of its stories back to traditional film, as thelastofus-movie.com has been claimed.

A domain lookup [http://whois.domaintools.com/thelastofus-movie.com] shows that thelastofus-movie.com, thelastofus-movie.net, and thelastofusmovie.net have all been picked up by Sony Pictures as of November 25 (curiously, thelastofusmovie.com remains available). There's been no official announcement or anything from Sony, so this doesn't guarantee that something is actually in the works, of course.

Even if a motion picture is in the early stages of planning, keep in mind that setbacks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130062-Warcraft-Film-Pushed-Into-2016]. And there are other explanations - nobody bothers to capitalize domains, so personally I hope this is preparation for a blockbuster movie in which an unlikely hero struggles to obtain the final serving of coagulated soy milk: The Last Tofus.

Source: Dual Shockers [http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/28/the-last-of-us-movie-domain-has-been-registered/]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, until they start looking for male-only test audiences, I wouldn't get too excited.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Not worth getting excited about either way yet, they haven't even sorted that uncharted film yet. Plus it runs a huge risk of ending up as just another zombie film even if it does get released, doubly so if thy're trying to introduce new characters.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Do we really need more game movies? Most of them either suck or slip too much from the original game they represent.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
If this sees the light of day I'm calling Hugh Jackman as Joel and Maisie Williams as Ellie

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Seeing how cinematic video games tend to be these days, how can they justify basing movies on them? Well, money obviously, but it just seems silly.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Spot1990 said:
Meh I don't see it working. The entire appeal of the game is Joel's (and by extension the player's) relationship with Ellie. You could make a solid enough movie out of it but nothing better than any really good post apocalyptic movies that exist already. It works because of 15 - 20 hours of character and relationship building.
I agree 100%. Of course, Sony could surprise us and come out of the gate with an interactive, 20-hour epic of cinema, but it's much more likely we'll get a zombie flick with the same level of emotion as the Hunger Games trilogy.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Why? From my understanding it's not a world ripe with opportunities for a new character and stories that couldn't be covered by another zombie movie and there is no real reason to see it again on a bigger screen with no gameplay.

If you have to do a movie based on games it should be ones with more opportunity then yet another post apocalyptic zombie world.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Domain names like this get made all the time in a sort of 'better have it and not need it' kinda way. So I wouldn't expect too much of this.

But still, why? What could a movie possibly do that the game didn't already present in spades? And when thinking about this logically, wouldn't a TV series make way more sense? That's what the narrative of the game most reminded me of, watching one of those big budget HBO series.

But even then, without Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson this'll never work. And from what I've seen, Troy Baker doesn't quite resemble someone in his late 40's and Ashley Johnson doesn't really have the physique of a 14-year old.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Doesn't necessarily prove anything; lots of games get tagged for movies but never go anywhere.

Weren't there plans for a Metroid movie, god knows how many years back?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Hang on a minute. My opinion is if you've played the game, you pretty much have already seen The Last Of Us the movie.

Captain Sunshine

Mar 5, 2013
This is literally an example of one of the best video game experiences out there that will lose so much on translation to another medium.

Video games have a special power that only books can very occasionally pull off; you are in it. IN IT. The player is a character that sort of ghosts in and out of importance during cutscenes and gameplay. Which means you personally end up as a hybrid of emotions with the main character, both thinking 'I have to keep Joel and Ellie safe' and 'I have to keep myself safe'.

Over the course of 12 hours you become so attached to these people because you actively participate in making the events happen. People get gutted over video game endings and cry over character deaths because those are results of their own involvement. These are video game medium specialties.

And NO SPOILERS, but The Last of Us is well aware of all of these traits and it tells its story in a way that works best in the medium. It actively plays with being a video game. And it's the best thing I've played on PS3 because of it.

I'm completely convinced this is a passing trend though, and rather than finally getting that one movie that releases the floodgate on video game movies (like comic books the past ten years), we're going to see games embrace that they don't need to be movies at all, and can tell their own stories, and sometimes, better.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I've seen this movie. It's called The Last of Us for Playstation 3. Then again, you could argue that this way it'll reach a much larger audience and I guess you could say a story that good deserves to be shared. I just hope they remain faithful to the game, but that seems a slim chance.