Batman: Arkham Origins Story DLC Coming Next Month

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Batman: Arkham Origins Story DLC Coming Next Month

The "Initiation" DLC looks at Bruce Wayne's backstory as it chronicles his trials in a monastery full of ninjas.

Those of you itching for more Dark Knight action may not have to wait too much longer, as Warner Bros. Games vice president Ames Kirshen has confirmed that DLC for Batman: Arkham Origins "with a little bit of narrative" will drop next month. It's called the "Initiation Pack," and it's all about Bruce Wayne's backstory. You know, when he was a ninja.

Kirshen described the DLC as a "new kind of challenge map pack that's got a little bit of a narrative to it", and concerns the adventures of a young Bruce Wayne in a monastery full of ninja.

To help tide you over until an actual release date and more information is given, Warner Bros. has also released three new non-story DLC packs. The first, "The Infinite Earths Skins Pack" contains the following six new costumes:
Earth 2 Dark Knight
Long Halloween Batman
Batman: Dark Knight of the Round Table
Thrillkiller Batman
Earth 2 Batman
Classic Tim Drake Robin (available in multiplayer mode only on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC)

The other two packs are the "Black Mask Challenge Pack", which was previously available only as a pre-order bonus, and the "Online Supply Drop #1", which offers additional multiplayer clothing and weapons.

Source: IGN [http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/11/27/new-batman-arkham-origins-story-dlc-coming-in-december]

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I haven't been following this game very closely. Have they fixed the game breaking bugs yet or are they just focusing on selling more possibly broken shit for a broken game?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Sarge034 said:
I haven't been following this game very closely. Have they fixed the game breaking bugs yet or are they just focusing on selling more possibly broken shit for a broken game?
I hadn't even heard about the bugs. I'm glad to hear about DLC though, in the sense that I'll wait for a sale-discounted GOTY version. Feels a shame, as I got both Asylum and City on launch.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Sarge034 said:
Separate teams working on QA/testing and post-release content making.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
I have the PC version and have experienced 1 bug after multiple playthroughs so it seems their PC patch works just fine.

Although at 7gb, I should hope so, after having to go through the worldwide 'physical copy batman blunder' that WB Montréal made.

The full story based DLC is set for next year also and explains the birth of the relationship between the Bat and an unknown character as of yet, but apparently someone pretty important.

If you've played the game, the DLC probably won't be Joker based. ;o

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
AndrewC said:
The full story based DLC is set for next year also and explains the birth of the relationship between the Bat and an unknown character as of yet, but apparently someone pretty important.
If I had to guess, I'd say the full story based DLC for 2014 will be about Ra's Al Ghul. At least that's what I hope it will be. I don't want a Robin or Batwoman DLC.

Also, for those gamers wondering about the PC version, the latest patch fixed pretty much every bug in the game. Even though I never experienced any issues with the game on my playthrough. I was probably just lucky.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Teoes said:
I hadn't even heard about the bugs. I'm glad to hear about DLC though, in the sense that I'll wait for a sale-discounted GOTY version. Feels a shame, as I got both Asylum and City on launch.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129245-Warner-Bros-Interactive-Apologizes-For-Arkham-Origins-Bugs
Had a buddy get set back six hours due to one of the bugs one time. I stopped asking if anything else happened because he always got angry at the game and told me a different bug got him for a different amount of time.

NLS said:
Doesn't answer my question. If they are selling DLC for a broken game that is a problem. Regardless of if there are different teams working on the patches and the DLC. Your car could stall and seize up at any time, *under breath* and it might explode in rare cases, but our body department has this awesome fire paint job you could get for a cool $500. But my car might explode... Why would I want accessories for a car that could explode? Why aren't you focusing all resources on getting my car to NOT explode?

See what I mean?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Sarge034 said:
Teoes said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129245-Warner-Bros-Interactive-Apologizes-For-Arkham-Origins-Bugs
Had a buddy get set back six hours due to one of the bugs one time. I stopped asking if anything else happened because he always got angry at the game and told me a different bug got him for a different amount of time.
Thanks. I think what has actually happened is that I'm an idiot and forgot that I'd read/heard all these things. Well then I'll try and keep that in mind for the future.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Sarge034 said:
Teoes said:

NLS said:
Doesn't answer my question. If they are selling DLC for a broken game that is a problem. Regardless of if there are different teams working on the patches and the DLC. Your car could stall and seize up at any time, *under breath* and it might explode in rare cases, but our body department has this awesome fire paint job you could get for a cool $500. But my car might explode... Why would I want accessories for a car that could explode? Why aren't you focusing all resources on getting my car to NOT explode?

See what I mean?
I'd rather they continue taking their time getting their dedicated mechanics working on a fix to my car, than get whoever does the paint jobs to start tinkering with my engine.
You can't just allocate resources from one department to a completely different one, or tell people who work in marketing, sales and DLC to stop working completely until the bugs are fixed. I'm sure they have people working on squashing what remains of bugs, but a lot of other things have to continue working as usual.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sarge034 said:
There wasn't any game breaking bugs to be fair, a few hindered progression, but there was usually a way around them, or a simple reset fixed it, but non that completely broke the game. (apart fro that one that stopped you loading a save, but AC had that, despite what people may tell you) Not been on in a while, but i assume a patch or 2 have been released in the month i haven't been on (borrowed it to a friend)

The game is underrated in my opinion, people like digging a grave for it, despite the story being quite decent. No one mentions the bugs Arkham City had, which had a game breaker or 2.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
arc1991 said:
The game is underrated in my opinion, people like digging a grave for it, despite the story being quite decent. No one mentions the bugs Arkham City had, which had a game breaker or 2.
I wouldn't say that it's underrated, considering how they managed to screw up the core mechanic of the franchise: the free-flow combat.

I understand they wanted to make it more challenging, and that's fine, so toss in your new thug-types, give them some new weapons and attacks, make the groups harder to deal with. But what they did was just make all the thugs hyper-aggressive. If you take one punch, chances are you're about to take 3-5 punches. All too often you find yourself fighting on a postage stamp in the middle of a thug-on-Batman gangbang where as the point of the free-flow mechanic was that you could space the thugs out, allowing you to "flow" from one to the next with a series of attacks, allowing you to actually dodge incoming attacks while in the process of leaping towards your next target. Can't really do that if you're stuck fighting 7 guys in a 5x10 area between the corner of two walls and a parked car.

Then there's the targeting priority which they changed from "highest threat" to "closest enemy". This comes into play mostly when dealing with the Disarm-Destroy special move (which you get at the end of the game which is, itself, pretty frustrating). Used to be you point in the direction of the guy with the weapon you want to Disarm-Destroy and Batman would go after the weapon with the highest threat value in that direction...so if you had a guy with a gun standing a little behind a guy holding a fire extinguisher, you'd still go after the guy with the gun. In this game, you'll go after the fire extinguisher since it's closer and get shot in the fact by the guy with the gun.

Then there's cases of Batman simply not doing what you tell him to do (dive-rolling into the middle of a crowd in the middle of a fight rather than Bat-flipping over someone, or the counter attack just straight-up not working), and lets not forget the fact that the enemies apparently have access to free-flow combat as well since they can magically slide 10 feet across the ground to make sure their punch connects with you despite you not being in the spot they were targeting when they started their attack.

Broken Combat System is Broken. That was the one thing they had to do in order for me to like the game as much as the previous two: not screw up the combat...and they failed. As such I think the complaints against the game are justified.

As for the story, I thought it was decent...though I was sad to see that it was, indeed, all about The Joker being the big bad guy rather than Black Mask. Really kinda validates all the people who said "The only reason they're doing a prequel is so they can have Joker be the main villain again."

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
RJ 17 said:
arc1991 said:
I wouldn't say that it's underrated, considering how they managed to screw up the core mechanic of the franchise: the free-flow combat.

I understand they wanted to make it more challenging, and that's fine, so toss in your new thug-types, give them some new weapons and attacks, make the groups harder to deal with. But what they did was just make all the thugs hyper-aggressive. If you take one punch, chances are you're about to take 3-5 punches. All too often you find yourself fighting on a postage stamp in the middle of a thug-on-Batman gangbang where as the point of the free-flow mechanic was that you could space the thugs out, allowing you to "flow" from one to the next with a series of attacks, allowing you to actually dodge incoming attacks while in the process of leaping towards your next target. Can't really do that if you're stuck fighting 7 guys in a 5x10 area between the corner of two walls and a parked car.

Then there's the targeting priority which they changed from "highest threat" to "closest enemy". This comes into play mostly when dealing with the Disarm-Destroy special move (which you get at the end of the game which is, itself, pretty frustrating). Used to be you point in the direction of the guy with the weapon you want to Disarm-Destroy and Batman would go after the weapon with the highest threat value in that direction...so if you had a guy with a gun standing a little behind a guy holding a fire extinguisher, you'd still go after the guy with the gun. In this game, you'll go after the fire extinguisher since it's closer and get shot in the fact by the guy with the gun.

Then there's cases of Batman simply not doing what you tell him to do (dive-rolling into the middle of a crowd in the middle of a fight rather than Bat-flipping over someone, or the counter attack just straight-up not working), and lets not forget the fact that the enemies apparently have access to free-flow combat as well since they can magically slide 10 feet across the ground to make sure their punch connects with you despite you not being in the spot they were targeting when they started their attack.

Broken Combat System is Broken. That was the one thing they had to do in order for me to like the game as much as the previous two: not screw up the combat...and they failed. As such I think the complaints against the game are justified.

As for the story, I thought it was decent...though I was sad to see that it was, indeed, all about The Joker being the big bad guy rather than Black Mask. Really kinda validates all the people who said "The only reason they're doing a prequel is so they can have Joker be the main villain again."
See, I've not had a problem with the combat (apart from if you miss one counter, you get by 3-5 thugs which throws you off guard, but I got that in AC sometimes), Batman for me still goes after the guys who more dangerous (usually), I just tell him where I want my next attack to go and 7 times out of 10 he does it (in Batman AC I'd say it was 9 out of 10 times)

Not really had a problem with him not doing what i tell him, however i have had delays (few miliseconds, which in big fight can be a bit problematic) but overall it still feels like the other Batman games, this is WB Montreal's first game and considering that had a HUGE game franchise to take of for there first game, i think they did surprisingly well, they managed to pull of a fairly decent game without infringing on Rocksteady's story.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
NLS said:
I'd rather they continue taking their time getting their dedicated mechanics working on a fix to my car, than get whoever does the paint jobs to start tinkering with my engine.
You can't just allocate resources from one department to a completely different one, or tell people who work in marketing, sales and DLC to stop working completely until the bugs are fixed. I'm sure they have people working on squashing what remains of bugs, but a lot of other things have to continue working as usual.
I'd rather they didn't try to sell additional content for a game before the game is fixed. Just feels like it should be illegal.

arc1991 said:
There wasn't any game breaking bugs to be fair, a few hindered progression, but there was usually a way around them, or a simple reset fixed it, but non that completely broke the game. (apart fro that one that stopped you loading a save, but AC had that, despite what people may tell you) Not been on in a while, but i assume a patch or 2 have been released in the month i haven't been on (borrowed it to a friend)

So are you saying it has game breaking bugs or not? Your verbiage is all over the map, but regardless there are game braking bugs confirmed from the people who made the game.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sarge034 said:
arc1991 said:

So are you saying it has game breaking bugs or not? Your verbiage is all over the map, but regardless there are game braking bugs confirmed from the people who made the game.
Continue reading past 'usually' ¬_¬ i clearly said that there was usually a way around it, or a simple reset fixed it (all bugs apart from the one that deleted saves). The bug that got rid of saves, was present in Arkham City and has been fixed as far as i know. Admittedly I should of said there wasn't many, not as many as people say anyway, But still. People are always going to say Arkham Origins as "The game that broke save files" even when AC did the same.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
arc1991 said:
Continue reading past 'usually' ¬_¬ i clearly said that there was usually a way around it, or a simple reset fixed it (all bugs apart from the one that deleted saves). The bug that got rid of saves, was present in Arkham City and has been fixed as far as i know. Admittedly I should of said there wasn't many, not as many as people say anyway, But still. People are always going to say Arkham Origins as "The game that broke save files" even when AC did the same.
So then stop saying, "there wasn't any game breaking bugs" when you then have to go on to say there was "usually a way around them" and "except for that one bug...". Because the fact that there WAS a save deleting bug, there WERE (are?) bugs without a fix, and bugs that require you to restart your game (new save) to get passed them.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Ah, DLC; the bane of all games everywhere.

And that wasn't a pun - I truly despise it.