Notch Turns Down Free Games From Sony, Buys Them Himself

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Notch Turns Down Free Games From Sony, Buys Them Himself

Notch is the kind of person that gets offered loads of free stuff, it seems - but that doesn't mean he has to take it.

It's no secret that Sony has been doing its best to befriend indie developers, and Markus "Notch" Persson is about as high-profile as you can get while still keeping the "indie" label. So when Notch tweeted that he was about to pick up a PS4, Sony's VP of Publisher & Developer Relations Adam Boyes wasted no time in offering Notch his selection of PlayStation games. Notch's response: no thanks, he'd rather reward the developers and buy them on his own.

"I have a fun project, a PS4 is waiting for me, it's Formal Friday at Mojang, and it's our glöggpremiär," Notch tweeted. "It's going to be the best day ever."

For those wondering, glöggpremiär means it's time to break out the Christmas-time wine - but that isn't the part of the tweet that caught Boyes' attention. "Send me a list of games you want and I'll see what I can do!" he offered. Notch politely declined:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/notch/statuses/406328646379388928]

From the sound of it, Notch certainly doesn't have anything against Sony or its offer - but as a game developer, it's an understandable decision. Besides, Notch can certainly afford to buy a game or two, after the success story that was Minecraft. Minutes later, however, Notch swallowed his pride and did request one game. "Wait, changing my answer," he tweeted. "Half-Life 3."

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/notch/statuses/406328646379388928]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its not like he needs to be handed free stuff, I mean, thats what the money he has is for.

Kind of ironic, once you get famous and wealthy you dont have to spend that money since they give stuff for free

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
+50 mensch points to Mr. Persson.

Not to say that Sony offering him free games, or him accepting them, would have been inherently wrong. However, I definitely like the attitude (especially from someone who knows what it's like to be a game developer), of 'No. Somebody put a lot of hard work into this, I'm going to make sure that at least some of the money they get for it is coming from me.'

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Aw man, glögg. Sweet.

Also, good on Markus. He can certainly afford it with the mountains of cash he's got.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good on Notch for turning them down and paying for them (as I'm sure he can afford to do), but it reeks of blatant PR grab by Boyes/Sony.

But I'm sure now that he's offered, Boyes can afford to give some free games to some people that aren't multi-millionaires?

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Gotta love Notch, the guy gives 10 grand to childs play via desert bus and does this.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
Zipa said:
Gotta love Notch, the guy gives 10 grand to childs play via desert bus and does this.
he got some kick ass silica gell for that 10grand.

notch is a person that is made of pure awesome

Omeene

Oct 14, 2009
Exterminas said:
Yes. How very noble of this guy who made millions by creating a single video game.
Er, yeah. It is a nice gesture by Notch. Now excuse me while I try to understand how him being successful somehow taints this story.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Good on Notch.

The thing I really wanted to say was, where does this come from? A multi millionaire buys a ps4 and somebody at Sony says "ill try and get you free games", but why? Give them to someone who deserves it?

Guess it could be a relations/networking thing but it happens with celebs getting phones and meals etc for free 'cos of who they are. "hey, you're rich and famous, want some free stuff?", the rich don't need gifts!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Nice story and all, but I wanna bring into question this idea that Notch is "indie". If I recall correctly, didn't Notch himself say that he is no longer indie?

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Stop the presses guys! a rich guy doesn't need somebody else to buy him games, holy shit why isn't this all over the TV, newspapers and other sites aswell!?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Cognimancer said:
Minutes later, however, Notch swallowed his pride and did request one game. "Wait, changing my answer," he tweeted. "Half-Life 3."
That magnificent troll. :D

tfw Valve releases Half Life 3 at Notch's request

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Exterminas said:
Yes. How very noble of this guy who made millions by creating a single video game.
I'm not entirely sure this warrants a cynical tone, and I usually get off on cynicism.

Now, if the process of him making millions on MineCraft involved shady stuff that hurt and/or ruined a bunch of people's lives, I'd understand it, but as it stands right now, he mostly just seems like he's being a decent chap.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
'Tis only logical, he's set for life, he doesn't need free games. As for Sony, you are kiss-asses.

KISS-ASSES!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Simalacrum said:
Nice story and all, but I wanna bring into question this idea that Notch is "indie". If I recall correctly, didn't Notch himself say that he is no longer indie?
Did he sell the company, become publicly traded or otherwise gain dependency on a publisher?

I think people are starting to change the meaning of indie which, for my part, means independent development.

It just feels weird to me to say, "Your assets and income have crossed this threshold, you are no longer considered independent".

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
His motives are pure, but his understanding seems... Missing.

If he buys the games, the developers get paid. If Sony buys the games and gives them to him, the developers get paid.

If Sony steals the games (which it wouldn't), only then do the developers not be paid.

I think this is a publicity stunt.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Simalacrum said:
Did he sell the company, become publicly traded or otherwise gain dependency on a publisher?

I think people are starting to change the meaning of indie which, for my part, means independent development.

It just feels weird to me to say, "Your assets and income have crossed this threshold, you are no longer considered independent".
The idea is that indie means you don't have a huge pile of money to throw around. There is probably a more correct word to describe the exact scenario, but kind of unnecessary if we can all understand the spirit of the word instead of taking it at face value.

Two guys in a basement working part-time to support their game development is indie.
Having millions of dollars and your own team to back you up, well it just doesn't have the same vibe now does it?

Anyhoo, I get that everyone likes the guy. He's a good guy.
But is it really necessary to write an article about him for (almost) buying his own games?
I'd be more impressed with the homeless man that saves up cash to support game developers. Where's his article, huh?
Cause he's a goddamn hero!