See Germans Go Insane Over PS4 Launch

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
See Germans Go Insane Over PS4 Launch

My German retail friends: maybe putting the PS4s up at the top of the stairs was a bad idea.

They say it sounds better in French, but the German narrator of this Media Markt PS4 launch video is oddly soothing. It's like the beginning of a Brothers Grimm story, just before the cannibal witches show up and start baking children. The PS4 launched slightly later in Europe than in North America, and as you can see the PS4 has one or two fans desperate to get their hands on the latest gear.

Kudos to the silver-haired grandfather who managed to get to the escalator at about 1.24; it was beginning to look like that point in the nature video where the gazelle meets the lions for the last time. Speaking as someone who worked in retail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9183-The-Customer-Doesn-t-Care-About-Your-Burglar], given the choice I'm not sure I'd have put my PS4 supply at the top of any stairs. It just seems like a decision tinged with potential tragedy.

Media Markt is one of the largest electronic goods retail chains in Europe, and is the second largest in the world, after Best Buy. It has as its slogan Ich bin doch nicht blöd, which translates as I am not stupid. No, definitely not; manic, possibly, but not stupid, no sir!

Source: Majin Dub YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/user/xMajinDub?feature=watch]

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
It's like watching a horde of zombies in Left 4 Dead! If I saw that coming at me from under the doors as a staff member I think I'd be cracking out the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit just in case.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
It looks fake to be perfectly honest.
It wasn't the only mediamarkt which got raided:
http://imgur.com/a/5tWDK

Some people seem to overvalue the Ps 4 a little bit here

loa

Jan 28, 2012
What the fuck.
Like, you have the ps4 and then what?
Hope you enjoy a very mediocre killzone I guess??

It's like people clawing through masses to get an apple computer or the newest version of the i-phone day 1 except that you can actually do something with those right away.
Just, why?

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
It's a bit like going 'First!' on a comments thread. Afterwards don't you feel a little embarrassed to wonder why it mattered?

And of course the irony is that the early adopters are much more likely to end up with faulty goods and lengthy waits for firmware updates.

Still, I guess without them the rest of us wouldn't get new things at all.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Entitled said:
Stupid greedy Americans and their Black Fridays.
Please, for the sake of my dwindling faith in humanity, tell me you were being ironic or something, as this was very clearly in Germany.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Mein Gott! This is preposterous, you know it's not like ps4 won't available next month or something. You can still buy it when the next shipment arrives :p

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Flatfrog said:
And of course the irony is that the early adopters are much more likely to end up with faulty goods and lengthy waits for firmware updates.

This is always the secret battle in my head. Buying a console earlier is almost always a mistake (except with US PS3's). It's at it's most expensive, with the least games, an uncertain future and most likely to break down.

...but the more people who do it the better it is for the people who don't =D And someone's got to buy one first right? :p

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Should have had some guys up on a podium doing a live death-metal performance. This would have made a perfect music video.

I think it's safe to say that after this EU launch, Sony will beat out the 1 million units mark that Xbox got in 24hrs.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
BrotherRool said:
Flatfrog said:

This is always the secret battle in my head. Buying a console earlier is almost always a mistake (except with US PS3's). It's at it's most expensive, with the least games, an uncertain future and most likely to break down.

...but the more people who do it the better it is for the people who don't =D And someone's got to buy one first right? :p
It sounds like a relative of the Prisoner's Dilemma. If there isn't already a name for it, I dub it the Sucker's Dilemma:

1) Being an early adopter makes you a sucker because you get a bad deal
2) The more suckers there are, the better it is for late adopters, because it encourages investment in the product

I guess the building of 'buzz', as well as pre-order deals etc are all ways for publishers and console developers to overcome this logic.

balberoy

Aug 19, 2011
He says: "Just a normal november the 29th in the year 2013. Adults are at work, children in the school and the old are feeding ducks. But some, just wanna do something different today."

And in the end: "As you can see, just a normal november the 29th in the year 2013."

Just to clarify, Media Markt and Saturn are both retailers and belong to the same group. Probably you mean that they together are the largest electronic retailer in europe. They try to establish a competition against each other but are the same. So they wanna fool the customers that they had choice where to buy.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Obviously the next generation consoles are mainly created for America and Microsoft would have had little benefit from making sure all their glorious TV-Features work in Europe.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
VanQ said:
It's like watching a horde of zombies in Left 4 Dead! If I saw that coming at me from under the doors as a staff member I think I'd be cracking out the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit just in case.
The metaphor really hit at 2:30 when Killswitch Engage starts playing. When a new console launches, what better soundtrack is there than one that was used for Resident Evil?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Such idiots... though that looks exactly like those black friday videos. I guess it is just human nature -.-

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Well wouldn't be the first time we've seen Germans go apeshit over something tawdry and with questionable value. David Hasselhoff springs to mind. ...... as does the Reichstag. ....*SLAPS SELF* NO!! Bad Psychobabble!!