PS4 Gaikai Streaming Service Set for NA in 2014

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PS4 Gaikai Streaming Service Set for NA in 2014

In the current generation of zero backward compatibility, Sony's still working on streaming games over Gaikai.

Sony's PlayStation 4, like Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo's Wii U, launched without backward compatibility. As a solution, Sony invested in the streaming technology Gaikai to stream games to the PS4. The console launched without Gaikai and will not obtain the service until Q3 2014, Eurogamer reports.

"We're on track to have a commercial service up and running in the US first within 2014," Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, said. Sony plans to bring Gaikai initially to PS4 consoles and gradually move it to Vita.

"We think there's a great opportunity to broaden the market, because you essentially remove the need to make the console purchase in order to have access to that experience," House said. "It may sound counter-intuitive, because, aren't you replacing a business that is your bread and butter? But part of being an innovative company is being a pioneer in new forms of distribution of content, and we would like to be there first and take a leadership role."

House did not give a specific date for Gaikai's European availability, but Eurogamer reports hearing it be 2015. House confirmed that Gaikai will come to North America first next year, and the beta begins early 2014.

Gaikai will rely on the strength of a broadband connection, which could cause problems for people with poor internet. House said Gaikai is "good at its core," but needs to be proven as a quality experience. "[Gaikai is] a brand new form of delivery," he said. The service "will be dependent to a degree on what the strength of broadband connection is going to be, and what our server deployment and infrastructure looks like."

Sony put $300 million into Gaikai. Like many other features Sony's teased for PS4, Gaikai is not available right now. If the service ends up working well, at least it will be worth the wait.

Source: CVG [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-29-ps4-looks-set-to-break-records-at-launch]

Apr 28, 2008
So will we get the streaming of PS1/2/3 games like they said or is that a pipe dream meaning almost the entire PS2/PS1 library will soon be lost to time? Because that would suck.

Also, the Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii games.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I really hope that the general desire for backwards compatibility has been strong enough for Sony to take note and that the more PC like architecture of the four and the one mean that (assuming the people who say this is the last console generation are incorrect) the ninth gen offerings from those companies will be backwards compatible with their eighth gen consoles.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Am I the only one who read NA as Not Available initially?

---

So does the PS4 not natively play PS1 titles? Because even the remodelled PS3s can still play disc-based PS1 games as long as they're from the proper region.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Irridium said:
So will we get the streaming of PS1/2/3 games like they said or is that a pipe dream meaning almost the entire PS2/PS1 library will soon be lost to time? Because that would suck.
The PS1/PS2 library will be forever safe on the PC, its the PS3 library that we should be worried about (damn Cell making it hard to emulate)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Am I going to have to pay to play games I already own? I really have no idea how this system works, but if I have to pay, that is not going to happen.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Two big questions:
1. Can this service be used by PCs? Because PS3 is the only system that even has exclusives id like to play and this would be a great solution.
2. If it is so reliant on internet connection, why launch in a very poorly connected area first?