Avalanche Studios Teases Just Cause 3 With New Development Video

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Avalanche Studios Teases Just Cause 3 With New Development Video

What game could send the Avalanche team into the rainforest for research? I wonder...

A new behind-the-scenes development video from developer Avalanche Studios strongly suggests the studio may be working on Just Cause 3. The video recounts a recent research trip to Costa Rica, where members of the team "dense vegetation, beautiful skies and flowing water," for multiple unspecified "open world games."

Officially, Avalanche is working on just one project at the moment, the upcoming adaptation of Mad Max, but Gamespot [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/17/avalanche-studios-opens-nyc-studio-working-on-project-mamba-f/], the developer is also working on an unannounced mobile game.

"We've been creating complex environments for ten years," explains associate art director Andreas Oberg. "But of course, nothing compares to being in an environment like this for real."

The studio refers to Just Cause 2 often when describing what they're looking to get out of the trip:

"Look at the complexity of this vegetation," says Oberg. "All the things here on the trees: The little drops of water, this little moss, these almost-branches... When we make the computer games, we are always fighting against the limitations of technology, and coming up with clever ways of solving this. In a game like Just Cause 2 we had about ten million trees."

Avalanche specifically notes they plan to apply their findings to Mad Max's skies. You know where else you can look at the sky? Anywhere. They chose to visit a rainforest for a reason. We can't definitively say whether or not they did so specifically for Just Cause 3, but it was not for desert wasteland of Mad Max.

Mad Max is expected to launch in 2014. Just Cause 3 may or may not be in development.

Sources: Gamespot [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q_m7MtU2IA#t=31]

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
anyone else notice the JC2 theme in the background at the beginning?

oh, please be true; let me have a third grappling hook to shoot out of my butt this time

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
mcgreggers99 said:
Just Cause 3 is indeed coming.

Three words... "Winged. Flight. Suit." Book it. Done.
Please let this be true. I've been feeling devoid of truly stupid fun in my video gaming experience for a while now, Just Cause 3 would do a lot to remedy that.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Costa Rica is right next to Panama. Tropical setting. Just Cause music in the background. Half Life 3 confirmed.

mcgreggers99

Mar 5, 2012
Blue_vision said:
mcgreggers99 said:
Just Cause 3 is indeed coming.

Three words... "Winged. Flight. Suit." Book it. Done.
Please let this be true. I've been feeling devoid of truly stupid fun in my video gaming experience for a while now, Just Cause 3 would do a lot to remedy that.
Let's just say...I know a guy.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
I would have loved if bethesda licenced the engine of the just cause series. Just think horse/motorbike, car/carriage and most important helicopter/dragon.