Epic Shows Off The Inner-Workings Of Unreal Engine 4

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Epic Shows Off The Inner-Workings Of Unreal Engine 4

A new video takes the "infiltrator" demo apart piece-by-piece, in real time.

At some point, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 will fade into the nostalgia sectors of our cultural memory. When that happens, it's fair to say that our recollections of this era will be dominated by the Unreal Engine 3. It has powered [a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_3]a staggering list of games[/a], from classics like Bioshock Infinite and XCOM to the infamous, like Too Human and Duke Nukem Forever. After seven years of faithful service, Epic is getting ready to introduce its successor. Earlier this year, Epic showed off [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ]an impressive demo[/a] for the Unreal Engine 4 filled with flashy effects. Perhaps it's years of being conditioned by Square Enix cutscenes, but it's hard to trust a beautiful trailer anymore. In a new video, Epic devs Tim Elek and Zak Parrish tear that demo apart, piece by piece, and demonstrate the sprockets and gears behind it.

Many of the effects in games look great until you start to peer around the curtain. Here, Epic go to lengths to shows how these aren't just fancy sprites. It shows all the tools developers have to play with atmospheric effects like particles, water, and fog. Not only does it look gorgeous, but it can all be edited in real time. It also uses an updated version of the cascade particle tool from the previous Unreal Engine, so if you've ever used that, you should feel at home. There's also a lot of under-the-hood work to make sure that graphic effects artists can add those shinies without compromising game performance as a whole.

As cool as it looks, you'll have to wait until next year before it gets released inside a game, but if the last generation was any indication, you'll have plenty to choose from.

Source: [a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RURQSR788Dg]YouTube[/a]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Amazing. Freaking. Amazing. I can't wait to see this implemented into a proper game in the next few years.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Oh, well. I don't really understand the obsession this industry has with particle effects. I hope it does something new with physics too.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Is it me or does that water look kinda... crap? Those particle and mist effects look very nice, but the water seems very off. Like it's that same type of splash segment animation you'd see in a PS2 game, only very well rendered.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
mateushac said:
Oh, well. I don't really understand the obsession this industry has with particle effects. I hope it does something new with physics too.
Particles are next big thing after physics, facial expressions and cloth simulation :p

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
just amazing. i have always liked the unreal engine followed by source. really wondering how this will look in future games and how much they can get out of it for the pc.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Epic games- true winners of the console wars (along with AMD of course).

That said, Unreal 3 has certainly worked well this generation. I like the idea of letting devs just work on the actual game. And UE4 looks set to continue the trend.