Ouya Website Now Accepting Bitcoin

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Ouya Website Now Accepting Bitcoin

Gamers are now able to purchase an Ouya with everyone's favorite anonymous cryptocurrency.

If a wallet full of Bitcoin is burning a hole in your pocket, the folks at Ouya are here to help. Today, the company announced that the Ouya website can process payments using the digital currency.

The news comes from a tweet made by the Ouya team on the company's official Ouya Forums [https://twitter.com/playouya/status/408386022947307520/photo/1].

For the uninitiated, Bitcoin is an electronic currency that allows for secure and anonymous payment between users. As the acceptance of Bitcoin has grown over the last few years, the exchange rate has skyrocketed. Currently, one Bitcoin is worth over $1000.

The vast majority of big-name retailers do not currently accept Bitcoin, but the tide is beginning to shift. Several Subway franchises have setup a Bitcoin payment system, and a slew of small businesses have started accepting the currency. Plus, Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic recently announced that it would accept Bitcoin payments for commercial spaceflights [http://www.cbsnews.com/news/richard-branson-virgin-galactic-now-accepts-bitcoin-for-space-travel/]. So, if the Ouya isn't appealing, you can always fly to outer space.

At the moment, the Ouya store will only allow customers to buy hardware, which means that games and other applications will need to be purchased using a more traditional payment method. But if this investment becomes successful for the Ouya team, perhaps we'll get a few more options in the Bitcoin marketplace.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/playouya/status/408386022947307520/photo/1]

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
You can't pay your taxes in bitcoin, which is the big reason why they are not accepted. Effectively you are trading in foreign currency and a currency that is unbacked by a central bank to boot. I think the business that are accepting them are only doing so in the expectation that the bitcoin will go up against the dollar. If a crash comes they will end holding horrible loses.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
My drug dealer does not even accept bitcoins, this is great! Maybe I can now pay him In Ouyas.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I currently have 0 bitcoins.
I also currently have 0 Ouyas.

I intend for those figures to remain the same.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Over 1000? Goddammit why didn't I buy those 10 bit coin i was considering when they were ten dosh a piece?!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
2012 Wont Happen said:
Over 1000? Goddammit why didn't I buy those 10 bit coin i was considering when they were ten dosh a piece?!
meh i wish i bought them whne they were 1.5 a piece. granted that was.... what over 3 years ago but damn thats a good 80000% interest, making it roughtly 25.000% yearly itnerest rate.
I woudl sell now though. its going to crash. and its going to crash hard.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Strazdas said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
meh i wish i bought them whne they were 1.5 a piece. granted that was.... what over 3 years ago but damn thats a good 80000% interest, making it roughtly 25.000% yearly itnerest rate.
I would have probably parted ways with mine a few months ago when they were 100. I thought it would crash then, but now it's getting ridiculous.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
2012 Wont Happen said:
Strazdas said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
I would have probably parted ways with mine a few months ago when they were 100. I thought it would crash then, but now it's getting ridiculous.
yeah i probably would have sold them half a year ago when they were around 250 as well. the crash is long overdue, but i was too quick to prognoze the Gold crash as well so im a but more careful about it now. Still even at 100 thats a hefty profit in short term. Somethin most share traders can only dream off.

008Zulu said:
Nice. One bitcoin is worth $1000. The Ouya is selling for $100. Is the remaining $900 store credit?
Not sure if seriuos. You know that you can pay bitcoins in precise numbers right? You could pay 0,00001 bit coin and it would be a valid transaction.