Gamer Christmas Dinner In A Tin Comes To Your Table, Courtesy Of UK Retailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Gamer Christmas Dinner In A Tin Comes To Your Table, Courtesy Of UK Retailer

"For those who can't wait to get stuck into their latest goodies, the Christmas Tinner is our gifting solution combining the best of both worlds," says Game.

For those of you who just can't stand letting the Christmas festivities get in the way of gaming, UK retailer Game has a solution: the Christmas Tinner. As in, breakfast on the top layer, and pudding on the bottom, designed so that you can gobble your way through the day without interrupting Grand Lazy Sod IV, or whatever it is you happen to be indulging in. All for the low, low price of £1.99!

This is on trial at Game's Basingstoke branch, and may roll out elsewhere if there's enough demand. "The Christmas Tinner is our gifting solution combining the best of both worlds," says Game Retail marketing director Ailsa McKnight, "so gamers can feast on the latest releases and the finest food at the same time."

Finest food? OK, as someone who spent many years over there, I have to interject: British cooking is pretty rubbish at the best of times. Give me a good Birmingham curry any day rather than that boiled-dry, overcooked mush you lot call a Sunday roast. Serving it in a tin can only improve it.

This comes to you courtesy of design student Chris Godfrey, who has form for this sort of thing. Back in August he published his dissertation [http://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/article/1109/21-aug-2013-graphic-design-student-gives-consumers-food-for-thought-with-12course-meal-in-a-can/], which was basically the same concept but without the gaming connotation.

His original was a 12-course gourmet meal in a tin, featuring cheese and sour dough bread on top, roast pork belly with celeriac for mains, and finishing with French canelé and a malt barley and hazelnut latte. The mechanics are simple; Godfrey made each course himself, reduced it to a gelatine, and poured each layer in one by one, letting it set before adding the next.

"No one wanted to taste my concoction," said Godfrey, "all my housemates declined the offer and I didn't fancy it myself." He seeks a future in advertising. I suspect he may get his wish.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-introduces-a-tinned-christmas-dinner-for-gamers/0125371]

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
I enjoy that these strange things exist.

I'm never going to put them near my mouth or indeed my body, but I appreciate their existence.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I heard about this quite a while back...It looks like I have to stab it a few times, just to be sure its dead.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
"Finest food? OK, as someone who spent many years over there, I have to interject: British cooking is pretty rubbish at the best of times. Give me a good Birmingham curry any day rather than that boiled-dry, overcooked mush you lot call a Sunday roast. Serving it in a tin can only improve it."

Blasphemy! A good Sunday Roast beats anything else, hands down...except, maybe, possibly Fish and Chips.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
It isn't really clear whether that is a gel like his first attempt. If it is, that is the only thing that could make that worse. The idea itself does have potential though depending on the food.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
It looks like vomit.

Do they expect people to voluntarily eat this? It reminds me of the KFC bowls of food, but even more disgusting. I can't help but think that when a movie wants to imply food is disgusting, it looks a lot like this. Left over turkey isn't the best, but I suspect it's better than this.

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to try this if it was free. If I was that desperate to avoid all things that come with Christmas dinner, I think I'd get a TV dinner. At least that is somewhat edible.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Screw you, Game! I hope that's a joke and not an honest thing.

Karloff said:
Finest food? OK, as someone who spent many years over there, I have to interject: British cooking is pretty rubbish at the best of times. Give me a good Birmingham curry any day rather than that boiled-dry, overcooked mush you lot call a Sunday roast. Serving it in a tin can only improve it.
As someone who has lived in the UK all his life I would have to disagree. British cooking gets a worse rep than it deserves. Funnily enough when I've mentioned in the past that I'd want to visit the US and in particular New York (the amalgamation of many cultures and their cuisines makes it seem like a great place to get food), people who've been have told me not to bother as the food's largely crap. Quantity over quality.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Sure, I'd eat it. Why not? It's still food, just blended and poured into layers. And I assume cold. I think the worst part is just what it says about you, eating canned food alone on Christmas.

Worst case it kills me, presumably by trying to chew it's way to freedom. Big deal.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I never could figure out how people eat and play games at the same time. I'd be worried that I would spill something and get it all over the system/controller/computer/me. Then again, I've never been in the situation where I absolutely needed to do both at the same time. If I get hungry, I just take a break.

Still, this is an interesting experiment. It could lead to some new ideas for eating multi-course meals in space, as it's pretty much the same texture, but it cuts down on plastic bag usage. I probably wouldn't eat it, but I'm sure someone out there would.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Yeah, English food is pretty crap... I mean English love terrible stuff, pork pies, spam and Scotch eggs are fucking disgusting! It's all made up of arse holes and eyelids and reconstituted into this mush of unrecognisable "meat" and chemicals. It's like WW2 era stuff when rations meant throwing anything away was unheard of.

To add to it, I never eat anything from a tin 'cos you never know how long ago it was first tinned. I know it's a preservative but it doesn't form a time bubble, where time remains still till its reopened.

If he won't even try his own invention, why does he think others will? Although, some dolts will get it... And piss heads, plenty of those wandering about.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
omega 616 said:
Yeah, English food is pretty crap... I mean English love terrible stuff, pork pies, spam and Scotch eggs are fucking disgusting! It's all made up of arse holes and eyelids and reconstituted into this mush of unrecognisable "meat" and chemicals. It's like WW2 era stuff when rations meant throwing anything away was unheard of.

To add to it, I never eat anything from a tin 'cos you never know how long ago it was first tinned. I know it's a preservative but it doesn't form a time bubble, where time remains still till its reopened.

If he won't even try his own invention, why does he think others will? Although, some dolts will get it... And piss heads, plenty of those wandering about.
A little unfair to include the famous American creation 'Spam' in that list...

Regarding the Tin of Weirdness, I think this is meant more as a gimmicky gift for someone rather than an attempt to change the face of dining as we know it.

The roast mentioned in the original post clearly wasn't made to standard as they are fantastic!

misg

Apr 13, 2013
Clowndoe said:
Sure, I'd eat it. Why not? It's still food, just blended and poured into layers. And I assume cold. I think the worst part is just what it says about you, eating canned food alone on Christmas.

Worst case it kills me, presumably by trying to chew it's way to freedom. Big deal.
LoL you sir have made my day.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Make it a self-heating can ala MRE and you've got a customer!

This is the perfect lunch in my ongoing quest to screw with my coworkers.

They're already getting accustomed to the kimchi, and I need something new.
How does kimchi screw with your coworkers ? It just pickled vegetables.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I would buy a can, just to shoot it out of a potato cannon or something. Royal Canadian Airfarce style.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
So they realize this, but not that they should have the option to switch to the right analogue stick while driving/sailing so I can stuff popcorn in my mouth?

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Karloff said:
I find this particularly amusing, as the curry as it exists in Britain today is 'British cooking'. The curries served in "Indian" restaurants (many are really Bangladeshi run) are very different from the food eaten in India.

Plus, a roast cannot be boiled-dry, because it isn't boiled, it's roasted (or maybe baked, depending on the heat source). A dry roast is just overcooked, and nothing in a normal roast should really be mush if it's done right. You don't say that Italian food is shit because you've been served a burnt pizza, so why decry British food like that?

omega 616 said:
This is just flat out wrong. Apart from spam being American, the other two aren't the processed, chemical drek you portray them to be. Both pork pies and scotch eggs, just like most foodstuffs, are availalbe in varying qualities. Not saying you have to like them, but claiming that all pork pies are made from mechanically recovered meat remnants is either ignorance or disingenuity.