No Fallout 4 Announcement at VGX, Says Bethesda

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Fallout 4 Announcement at VGX, Says Bethesda

Sorry, Fallout fans.

Bethesda Softwork's Peter Hines has taken to Twitter [https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/408699279377981440] to put an end to rumors that a big, Fallout-related announcement was set to happen during this year's VGX awards. "I am not going to VGX. Bethesda is not showing/talking about anything at VGX. Just some PR meetings in LA," he said. "Take deep breaths."

All of this rumor revolves around the mysterious Spike TV VGX awards [http://thesurvivor2299.com/], which of course led many people to assume that Bethesda would be making a Fallout 4 announcement at the show.

The rumours were further solidified by a Nuclear Winter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129715-Fallout-4-Trademarked-By-Bethesda], another very clear Fallout reference. Some Morse code messages also appeared, which when decoded, revealed even more Fallout 3 references.

Bethesda have yet to confirm or deny the legitimacy of the website, but Hine's announcement that there is nothing planned for VGX certainly shifts this one over to the "elaborate hoax" column. The company has, however, confirmed that it is hard at work on a "new project" that "looks awesome," though we have no idea what said project is.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/408699279377981440]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'd like to see Bethesda learn how to code competently before they attempt another Fallout game to be honest. They also don't have the excuse of the "Sony console is too hard to code for" to lean on this generation.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if it were Half Life 3.

Well, it wouldn't, but noone would expect it.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'd like to see Bethesda learn how to code competently before they attempt another Fallout game to be honest. They also don't have the excuse of the "Sony console is too hard to code for" to lean on this generation.
Well, to be honest, it's only their open world games that have problems. I remember finishing Dishonoured and thinking, "if only all their games were like this, not a bug in sight".

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I remember finishing Dishonoured and thinking, "if only all their games were like this, not a bug in sight".
They just published Dishonoured. It was made by Arkane I think.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Well, to be honest, it's only their open world games that have problems. I remember finishing Dishonoured and thinking, "if only all their games were like this, not a bug in sight".
That game was developed by Arkane, not Bethesda Game Studios - though to be honest, that is where a lot of the bugs come from. The method of saving is vital for the type of game, but in their kind of ridiculously open-world environment there are so many things to go wrong that it breaks all the time.
Genocidicles said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I remember finishing Dishonoured and thinking, "if only all their games were like this, not a bug in sight".
They just published Dishonoured. It was made by Arkane I think.
Well then maybe they should stick to publishing. Or have a decent QA department and not rely on fan made mods to fix the problems.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
The Twitter deny's that Bethesda will be announcing anything at the Spike game show, but why not just denounce the survivor website as a hoax or order a takedown?

It would kill any remaining ambiguity that some would cling on to.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
No Fallout announcement at VGX =/= no Fallout announcement/no Fallout game in development.

Just saying that because it had to be said.

Besides, doesn't it still have over a week left in its countdown?
a little under, a bit over 5 days left. i'm with you on this one though, i don't see how it changes much. they could simply confirm an expected release date and show literally nothing else, but it's still an announcement. i'd expect they'd have to make a big show of it at VGX, whereas announcing it elsewhere they don't have to actually show the game.

if it's a hoax, then fair enough, but i'm still hoping it's not

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Just because they personally aren't talking about anything at the show doesn't mean that someone else won't/something won't happen at the show.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I can understand that coming from Bethesda. Does anyone really want to be associated with Spike TV's Video Game Awards? You'd be better off with the Razzies than that over-hyped douche-bag jamboree.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
http://nooooooooooooooo.com

Seriously though, i know it's twitter and character limitations, but he doesn't exactly say that the thing is a hoax. I also wouldn't to do anything at the VGA's anyway - that awards show is awful and embarrassingly bad.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
MarsAtlas said:
No Fallout announcement at VGX =/= no Fallout announcement/no Fallout game in development.

Just saying that because it had to be said.

Besides, doesn't it still have over a week left in its countdown?
Its countdown led to another countdown. Not a good sign.

That and its been registered in Poland. Bethesda is American. Not to mention its godaddy of all services. bethesda never used them before.

The site is pretty sketchy, and people have said its a big hoax. Not that the puzzles were all that hard in the first place. the site is basic kiddie stuff Valve does on day 1 just to go easy on you. Hell, the puzzles was basic stuff Portal 2 had in its secret room.

If this is an "ARG" its a pretty amateur one. The only one that was worse was the bureau's ARG. And that's because they only sent you a single phone call with cool words that not only you had to sign up for but went nowhere.
well the website had 2 countdowns at the same time, their countdown did not as you put it 'led to another countdown'.

also apparently the other day my friend went to check out where the website was registered and apparently it was at zenimax by their IT department, still using godaddy though. Also its about time for bethesda to announce another fallout game/game. They could be making a announcement on the day just not at the VGX.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Great, now I have to find something else to keep me going through finals.

I do have to give credit to the people who made that site as they put alot of work into that. I hate their guts, but they did do a good job at hyping people up.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Wait, Pete "press sneak fucks" Hines? I'll take a wait and see approach.

*swallows fist sized gain of salt*