Scientists Discover Giant Planet With Largest Orbit Ever

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Scientists Discover Giant Planet With Largest Orbit Ever

A huge, distantly orbiting alien planet has caused researchers to rethink planet formation.

A planet 11 times more massive than our Jupiter orbits its star in the most distant orbit seen yet, researchers have discovered. Named HD 106906 b, it is larger than every other planet in its solar system and circles its star 650 times the distance between the Earth and the sun.

A thermal infrared light image shows just how far HD 106906 b is from its star. In the bottom left is the solar system's star, and in the top right is the planet. Pictured for comparison is the size of Neptune's orbit around our sun, making Neptune's orbit of 30 AU (astronomical unit in which 1 unit equals the distance from the Earth to the sun) seem tiny next to HD 106906 b's 650 AU (60 billion miles).

"This system is especially fascinating because no model of either planet or star formation fully explains what we see," Vanessa Bailey, the study's lead researcher, said in a statement.

The most accepted theory of planet formation states planets rotating near the parent star began as small bodies similar to asteroids. They clump together in the gas and dust around the star. This is an extremely slow process and one that does not explain the formation of planets like HD 106906 b, Bailey said. Distant giant planets may form similar to a mini binary star system, which forms out of two adjacent and collapsing clumps of gas to form stars. "These stars are close enough to each other to exert a mutual gravitation attraction and bind them together in orbit," Bailey explained.

In the case of HD 106906 b, the planet may not have had enough materials to grow large enough to a star. Still, researchers have observed a difference in mass ratio of stars in a binary system typically no more than 10 to 1, and in this case the mass ratio is more than 100 to 1.

HD 106906 b raises a lot of questions, but there's hope for answers. Because researchers have information about the system's environment, Bailey says observations of this planet's orbital motion may answer questions about formation.

Source: Space.com [http://www.space.com/23858-most-distant-alien-planet-discovery-hd106906b.html]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Holy shit, that's a massive planet. Imagine being able to see it with your own eyes. Jupiter is scary enough as it is.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
So it takes 3.5 days for light to reach that planet?

Earth is screwed 8 minutes after our sun blows up, these guys get half a week. I call shenanigans.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
If my very quick math is correct, this planet takes 3,570.45 Earth years to complete one orbit of its star.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
That's not a planet....IT'S A SPACE STATION!!!!

Seriously though, I'll take the long-shot and say that this was a "wandering" planet that broke free of some neighboring system (perhaps the start it was attached to kerploded) and kinda drifted into this star's orb.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Alpha Maeko said:

Earth is screwed 8 minutes after our sun blows up, these guys get half a week. I call shenanigans.
To be honest, they're probably so far away from the star that they wouldn't care too much if it disappeared.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
RJ 17 said:

Seriously though, I'll take the long-shot and say that this was a "wandering" planet that broke free of some neighboring system (perhaps the start it was attached to kerploded) and kinda drifted into this star's orb.
That would be extremely unlikely for a planet to "wander" out of one solar system and then fall into a stable orbit around another star. The binary star theory sounds a lot more plausible.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
DasDestroyer said:
Alpha Maeko said:

To be honest, they're probably so far away from the star that they wouldn't care too much if it disappeared.
Well without the star's gravity they'd break orbit and be set free in the galaxy.

Nothing good could ever live on such a planet so such an event they would very much care about.

I imagine it would be malicious glee.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Avaholic03 said:
RJ 17 said:

That would be extremely unlikely for a planet to "wander" out of one solar system and then fall into a stable orbit around another star. The binary star theory sounds a lot more plausible.
Note the use of the phrase "I'll take the long-shot, implying I know that it's the very unlikely choice.

I like to live dangerously. :p

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Avaholic03 said:
That would be extremely unlikely for a planet to "wander" out of one solar system and then fall into a stable orbit around another star.
Who said anything about stable? If I understand the observations to date correctly, we don't even know for sure if this planet is even orbiting this star, or just happens to be passing by... If it turns out to have a roughly circular orbit, that's going to be very strange and difficult to explain. If, as I think is more likely, it has an eccentric orbit, that opens up a lot more possibilities.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
Hagi said:
DasDestroyer said:
Alpha Maeko said:

Well without the star's gravity they'd break orbit and be set free in the galaxy.

Nothing good could ever live on such a planet so such an event they would very much care about.

I imagine it would be malicious glee.
But, wouldnt the whole system get engulfed by the star as it expands? Then get incinerated as it implodes? Please do correct me if I am wrong. Our schools dont teach astronomy, so I want to learn as much as I can outside it.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
That's pretty awesome...but I must say, I dunno why you guys put an image of Isaac Clarke on the news bar to represent this. I was momentarily terrified that the punchline to this was going to be something along the lines of "And unfortunately, a bacterial life form much like the Necromorphs of "Dead Space" fame have been discovered inhabiting this planet...scientists warn not to approach planetoid..." or something along those lines. >_<

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Seraj33 said:
But, wouldnt the whole system get engulfed by the star as it expands? Then get incinerated as it implodes? Please do correct me if I am wrong. Our schools dont teach astronomy, so I want to learn as much as I can outside it.
That'd really depend on the size of the star itself, albeit with the biggest star we know still being not quite big enough to engulf Saturn, let alone Neptune, I don't think it'll be able to reach out quite as far as this one. Don't know enough about astronomy either to rule it out though, things in the galaxy can get crazy big at times.

Of course, if this particular star that's in the system has the properties to go supernova then that planet is pretty much screwed, those explosions can produce shockwaves travelling far beyond this planet's orbit.

The only honest answer I can give you though is that I don't really know. But I'd give this planet at least a much better chance of surviving such an event than our little rock, that's for certain.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I would guess that it's a brown dwarf and it's big brother just got ALL the food growing up.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Alpha Maeko said:

Eight minutes or 3.5 days, c is still the speed limit of the universe. They would be screwed just like us, only 3.499 days later. Fortunately, stellar lifecycles are slower and more predictable than continental drift.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
SILENTrampancy said:
Cuz even if its a million to one, somebody will eventually run into the one.
The statistics about the distribution of planet-to-star distances may be skewed here due to systematic sampling prejudice. It's far easier to detect planets that are close to their star than to detect planets that are farther from their star. The reason lies in the manner of detection. One method involves measuring the "wobble" of a star as a planet orbits it. This wobble increases with planet size and decreases with the square of the distance between the objects. This means that it is much harder, with this method, to detect planets further from their star. Many methods depend on similar kinds of effects, such as the decrease in intensity as the planet transits between the distant star and ours. The further a planet is from it's star, the less likely it blocks any light going between that star and us. While this discovery may not fit the current model of planetary formation, it may not be rare, just simply not discovered previously.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Scientists have decided that, in the interest of giving the new planet a fitting title, it will be named after your mum.