Valve Unveils VGX Steam Sale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Unveils VGX Steam Sale

Spike's VGX Awards show is tomorrow, but Valve's VGX Nominees Steam Sale is today!

Good lord, didn't we just finally finish a big Steam sale? It's so had to keep track these days. Regardless, it's time to tighten your knickers because another one is upon us: the VGX Nominees Sale!

It's pretty simple, really, and the title gives it away: If you're a VGX nominee and available on Steam, boom, you're on sale. This ain't brain surgery, kids, and while it may not be the biggest Steam sale you'll ever see - 18 titles in all, unless I'm missing a few somewhere - there are some solid deals nonetheless.

Call of Duty: Ghosts is only 17 percent off at $49.79, which isn't anything to write home about (and who discounts something by 17 percent, anyway?) but BioShock Infinite is just ten bucks, as is Tomb Raider. Papers, Please, Rayman Legends, Gone Home and several others are half-price, and while I'm not sure that it's entirely kosher to categorize Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon as DLC, I do know that it's on for just five bucks, and that, my friends, is a steal.

As well as being a small Steam sale, it's also a very short one: The VGX Nominees Steam Sale is live now but will only remain so until 1 am on December 8. Steam will also host a VGX live stream beginning at 5 pm EST on December 7.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/vgx]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm actually surprised at Spike's game choices given their usual AAA blinders.
CoD will probably still win though.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I always find Call of Duty's "sales" to be hilarious. I think the most I ever saw was MW2 at 50% off, in 2013.

Nothing that catches my eye really. Maybe Grid 2 but the community reaction to that game seems to be pretty harsh.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
Another sale already? Umm... Halloween, thanksgiving, VGX and soon christmas. The sales don't really feel special or like something to look forward to anymore. Then again, I don't have to worry about bankrupting myself since I know only have to wait a month or two until whatever is massively discounted again.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Since its release, The Stanley Parable has literally spent more time on sale than not. This is the third sale in a row that it's participated in.

P.S. Thanks

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
idarkphoenixi said:
I always find Call of Duty's "sales" to be hilarious. I think the most I ever saw was MW2 at 50% off, in 2013.

Nothing that catches my eye really. Maybe Grid 2 but the community reaction to that game seems to be pretty harsh.
Black Ops 2 went down to 20 bucks during the last sale, right? That's what I paid for it in a store, so congrats on that, I guess.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Zachary Amaranth said:
idarkphoenixi said:

Black Ops 2 went down to 20 bucks during the last sale, right? That's what I paid for it in a store, so congrats on that, I guess.
It was $30. The funny part was it still being full retail price.

That being said, a shameless copypasta from my FB comment on the article...

"I'm pretty sure the 17% is a rounded 1/6. :p"

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
I don't think they did this sale last year, so I'm guessing they have something to announce this year?

Must be Half Steam Machines

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
More sales. Steam must really want our wallets to suffer.

Anyway, this is a good time to pick up (the new) Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, FarCry 3: Blood Dragon and Metro: Last Light if you havent already.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I have to say that Divekick getting in the nominees is probably the most and least disappointing thing about the awards this year.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dosbilliam said:
But Steam always has amazing prices!

Ignore the fact that I just said I got a retail copy of CoD for less!

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I bought Rayman Legends last month also for $20 (which is actually cheaper than it was on the autumn sale), and that's an absolute steal for a game this good with that much content and replay value. I must have at least 20 hours on it. Don't worry about the whole "WiiU is the definitive version" comments unless you really want the touch screen and co-op features. Made with WiiU in mind? Sure, but on non-WiiU platforms (PC included) it feels great.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dosbilliam said:
But Steam always has amazing prices!

Ignore the fact that I just said I got a retail copy of CoD for less!
Mildly hypocritical, since "full retail price" for most games is $60. Also fallacious, because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivocation

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dosbilliam said:
Mildly hypocritical, since "full retail price" for most games is $60.
Full price for Blops 2 on PC is 60 dollars as well. In fact, it's still 60 dollars. Huh.

I'm actually sort of curious as to what you think that changes.

Also fallacious, because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivocation
You have no compelling argument, merely a link. that's not a "because," "because" would offer a reason that the term you're defining is apt. It'd be interesting to see you try and shoestring the two together, but I don't see it happening. You're by all means welcome to try, but I doubt any criticism there would be aimed at me, rather than the people I was parodying.

Although, if you're aiming it at them, I believe "hypocritical" does come into play.

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dosbilliam said:
Mildly hypocritical, since "full retail price" for most games is $60.
Full price for Blops 2 on PC is 60 dollars as well. In fact, it's still 60 dollars. Huh.

I'm actually sort of curious as to what you think that changes.
Considering that was my entire point, the only change was on YOUR side, since you used a different meaning of "retail price" than I did.

Also fallacious, because http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivocation
Zachary Amaranth said:
You have no compelling argument, merely a link. that's not a "because," "because" would offer a reason that the term you're defining is apt. It'd be interesting to see you try and shoestring the two together, but I don't see it happening. You're by all means welcome to try, but I doubt any criticism there would be aimed at me, rather than the people I was parodying.

Although, if you're aiming it at them, I believe "hypocritical" does come into play.
I was referring to retail price at launch, which is $60. You intentionally changed the meaning to be current retail price, which is that logical fallacy in the link.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dosbilliam said:
Considering that was my entire point, the only change was on YOUR side, since you used a different meaning of "retail price" than I did.
Your entire point was the point I made in the first place? No, I think you're going to need to be more specific here.

I was referring to retail price at launch, which is $60. You intentionally changed the meaning to be current retail price, which is that logical fallacy in the link.
Of course, use of "full retail price" in quotes already sets up a mildly dishonest approach as it was something nobody was actually discussing at the point. My counter was merely to bring things back in-line with what was already being discussed, something you seem to oppose. Isn't it "mildly hypocritical" to accuse me of trying to change things by trying to keep the original context of the conversation going?

My argument doesn't change simply because you don't like it.

I'd also note that arguing MSRP doesn't change the crux of my argument: that Steam is supposed to be better than retail because of pricing, a statement that usually relies on the exact sort of dishonesty you claim to oppose: they're comparing Steam sales to full-price games at points they're no longer full-price at retail and/or ignoring sale prices on retail versions. It's actually pretty heavily dishonest to bring up MSRP at a point that you're discussing sales.