Nintendo CEO Shouldn't Have His Job, Pachter Says

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Nintendo CEO Shouldn't Have His Job, Pachter Says

Analyst calls out Satoru Iwata for weak sales of the Wii U and failing to capitalize on the phone and tablet market.

Game industry analyst Michael Pachter had harsh words for Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata and his company's "underwhelming" Wii U sales. "I don't know why Iwata is still employed," the Wedbush Securities analyst said at the Game Monetization USA Summit, held this week in San Francisco. While he conceded that it was possible for new software to get people interested in the Wii U again, he ultimately predicted at most 30 million units sold over its lifetime, compared with predicted lifetime sales of 100 million to 120 million for the PS4 and 90 million to 110 million for the Xbox One.

He also scolded Nintendo for not taking advantage of the mobile phone and tablet market, particularly with the shrinking audience for handheld systems. Pachter advised Nintendo putting Game Boy Advance games up as free downloads on mobile markets as well as offering more recent DS titles for between $3 and $5. This wouldn't just lead to more money for Nintendo but would create greater interest in their brands, he said.

As you might have guessed from Pachter's sales figures, he had much nicer things to say about Sony's new console. "The graphics are phenomenal, and the huge RAM makes future innovation likely," he said. The biggest point in its favor, though, is that it comes in at $100 cheaper than the Xbox One. "The reason Sony beats Microsoft is solely the price," he said. "Microsoft loses the next generation unless they cut price. If Microsoft drops its price to $399, I expect the sales to be equal to the PS4." Despite this praise, he predicted the current generation of consoles to be the last, saying the future will hold more frequent model updates as opposed to new platforms. He also expects a renewed interest in the PC platform as time goes on.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-05-pachter-i-dont-know-why-iwata-is-still-employed>GamesIndustry.biz

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Why do we still pay any attention to pachter?

Has any of his "analysis" or "foresights" been correct? Ever?

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Agente L said:

The 'a broken clock is right twice a day' thing applies to him. He has been right in the most general of terms in a few cases. As for why we still listen to him... I have no goddamn idea

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Oh look, Pratcher is bashing Nintendo again. What a suprise.

This guy isn't news and should never become news.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Iwata is maybe not the best, but I hold nothing but scorn for the American version of business where the goal is to ensure next quarters profits are up to make fat cat shareholders some money even if it involves firing 40% of your workforce and ruins the company in 2 years.

Iwata, like most Japanese businessmen, is much more concerned about the longevity of the Company and creating a great working environment for his employees rather than than turning a quick buck for greedy shareholders who don't give a single fuck about anything beyond the size of their wallets. Yes, the WiiU is doing poorly. Yes, Nintendo is in a bit of a slump. But the 3Ds is really starting to take off, and when Bayonetta II and Smash Brothers are out I speculate LOTS of WiiU's are going to start moving.

Pachter can fuck right off quite frankly. How the hell are you going to play GBA games on a phone?
They more or less require actual buttons that are responsive instead of flaky touchscreen controls. Beyond Advanced Wars I would LOVE to see anyone play Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion, Super Mario Advance 2, (or really any game that requires reflexes) on a phone.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Shhhh. We can't talk about why phones are a horrible gaming platform or we shall bring down the wrath of Pachter.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Can we please stop reporting on when this guy says something? His purpose is to give investment advice to people that don't know anything about video games, and has minimal relevance to anything that directly affects gamers in any way. Additionally, most of his predictions and analysis are things that anybody who regularly browses a gaming site would be able to figure out, or stuff that seems to come straight out of his ass.

As for his comments here, him talking about the declining handheld market is complete bullshit. The 3DS has sold about as well as the DS over the same time period, and the DS was the best selling dedicated video game system ever. I think it's safe to say that the slow sales of the WiiU are more than made up for by the success of the 3DS. And while I will say that Nintendo has messed up the WiiU quite a bit, I figure we will see quite a few more people buying it once some key games come out (namely Smash Brothers).

Also, saying that this will be the last generation of consoles right now is kind of dumb. It's just something we have no way of knowing right now. Maybe in a couple of years, once we have a better idea of long term sales data, then we can make this kind of prediction. Right now though, the console market is looking pretty healthy.

But please, in the future, don't make an article about when Pachter says something.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Weaver said:
Iwata is maybe not the best, but I hold nothing but scorn for the American version of business where the goal is to ensure next quarters profits are up to make fat cat shareholders some money even if it involves firing 40% of your workforce and ruins the company in 2 years.

Iwata, like most Japanese businessmen, is much more concerned about the longevity of the Company and creating a great working environment for his employees rather than than turning a quick buck for greedy shareholders who don't give a single fuck about anything beyond the size of their wallets. Yes, the WiiU is doing poorly. Yes, Nintendo is in a bit of a slump. But the 3Ds is really starting to take off, and when Bayonetta II and Smash Brothers are out I speculate LOTS of WiiU's are going to start moving.

Pachter can fuck right off quite frankly. How the hell are you going to play GBA games on a phone?
They more or less require actual buttons that are responsive instead of flaky touchscreen controls. Beyond Advanced Wars I would LOVE to see anyone play Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion, Super Mario Advance 2, (or really any game that requires reflexes) on a phone.
I keep hearing WiiU isn't selling but... I keep hearing people say they're buying one for Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD. Plus I sold a bunch when I worked on Black Friday.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Agente L said:

The 'a broken clock is right twice a day' thing applies to him. He has been right in the most general of terms in a few cases. As for why we still listen to him... I have no goddamn idea
I mean he's not really blowing the roof of things:

He also expects a renewed interest in the PC platform as time goes on.
HOLY SHIT NO WAY! The PC already underwent a massive resurgence years ago. He's predicting things that already happened.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Weaver said:
He also expects a renewed interest in the PC platform as time goes on.
HOLY SHIT NO WAY! The PC already underwent a massive resurgence years ago. He's predicting things that already happened.
So he can predict the PAST? That's kind of a useless trait in a analyst :/

MaximumTheHormone

Jan 28, 2012
GBA suggestion is pretty valid actually, specifically their pokemon games would be an absolute smash.
As long as if Nintendo were reasonable about price they would make a killing repackaging gens 1-3 on mobile platforms.
People have already created full GBA emulators for iPhone and android, so its easily technically possible.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Oh it's possible... It would just play poorly, since the lack of buttons would mean you would need to dedicate screen space to them.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
But please, in the future, don't make an article about when Pachter says something.
1) The Escapist, like most content-driven sites on the Web, is funded largely by advertising.
2) Page hits and web clicks = advertising dollars.
3) Headlines and content that generates controversy = more clicks and comments.

This is why you see so many clickbait-y headlines and articles all over the internet--because the Web's economy is driven by it. It may not be a desirable state of affairs, but it's the way things are, unfortunately.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
He also scolded Nintendo for not taking advantage of the mobile phone and tablet market, particularly with the shrinking audience for handheld systems. Pachter advised Nintendo putting Game Boy Advance games up as free downloads on mobile markets as well as offering more recent DS titles for between $3 and $5. This wouldn't just lead to more money for Nintendo but would create greater interest in their brands, he said.
Since when has Nintendo had any of their games on a platform other than their own? That just doesn't seem like something they would do.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I'm not going to lie, while this guy seems like an idiot, he does have (almost) a point. Why doesn't nintendo have DS classic games available for download onto like, a 3ds? that would be soooooo amazing. Seriously. they probably wouldn't be as cheap as 3-5 (that would be to good to be true) but I'd drop ten bucks to download Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time or something

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
I usually just disregard anything Pachter says as being uninteresting, but this is the first time he's actually legitimately pissed me off. Iwata shouldn't be getting fired. On the contrary, we need MORE people like Iwata running companies. We need more CEOs and executives who's immediate reaction to the slightest bit of bad news isn't to start slashing jobs left and right. Who would instead acknowledge their OWN missteps and cut their OWN salaries instead. We need more people in charge that actually give a shit about their employees.

Because at the end of the day, all 3 consoles will sell terribly if no one can afford to buy any of them because corporate greed slashes jobs and wages so hard that people can barely even afford to keep themselves fed.

EDIT: On a bit of a tangent, I don't understand WHY the Wii U is selling so poorly. Every single person I ask why they're not buying it gives me the same reason. "I'm not going to buy it because it has no games I care about. Oh, except for..." and then they proceed to list off a whole bunch of games for it, or that are soon coming out for it, that they want.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Shrinking audience for handheld systems? What the fuck is he talking about? The 3DS is doing well. It's already sold more in its lifetime so far than the DS had at the same point in its life.

And his criticisms of the Wii U are vague at best. Not once does he get into why the Wii U is failing (hint: lack of advertising, consumers still think it's a Wii add-on if they know about it at all). He's absolutely right that a big hit won't fix it, but totally fails to get into what actually would fix it. The fact is, they can absolutely recover, all they need is a serious boost in advertising budget.

P.S. Thanks

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Agente L said:

Because he talks reasonably articulately and if you read his reports (not just the panel talks/Pach Attack) he is right quite a lot of the time, not in a perfect X will do this on day Y way the internet seems to think, but he sees the trends and gets the general picture of what will happen.

"Mostly right most of the time," doesn't really sound like a ringing endorsement, but it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of industry analysis companies do.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I suppose now would be a bad time to point out that despite the WiiU's awful, awful performance, the 3DS is selling like crazy, and Nintendo is still sitting on more money than Pacher can count, thanks to the Wii.

Nintendo keeps their hardware around as a sort of "Market DRM" not just for their games, it's for their entire business.
Meaning that until Nintendo loses the hardware, they will never sell their games in other markets that they don't have a direct stake in.