Telltale and Gearbox Teaming Up for Episodic Borderlands

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Telltale and Gearbox Teaming Up for Episodic Borderlands

Tales From the Borderlands is the next episodic series from the makers of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us.

This year's Spike Video Game Awards, rebranded as VGX, kicked off with a pretty unexpected announcement: Telltale Games is teaming up with Gearbox Software to make an episodic game set in the Borderlands universe. Tales of the Borderlands, due out in 2014, will feature the Gearbox Software series' distinctive art style, if the teaser trailer shown is any indication.

No further information about the game was revealed beyond a brief trailer, so we'll have to wait for more details. Telltale Games has been pretty busy lately; it recently released later this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10658-The-Wolf-Among-Us-Review-Episodic-Elegance].

If I had to guess what episodic series Telltale would work on next, I don't think Borderlands would have been anywhere near the top of the list, but the team-up with Gearbox certainly has potential. It's cool to see that other developers trust Telltale's approach to episodic gaming; who knows, maybe we'll see even more unexpected pair-ups in the future.

We'll have more news from the VGX throughout the night, so stay tuned.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Will we ever see a Sam and Max season 4? I'd like to see that with the new level of attention Telltale is getting.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
This sounds... Really interesting, I have to say. I just hope it makes me excited to play borderlands again. I can support this.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Guys, it's great in all that you've hit it big and are now getting all the good IPs, but what about that other game?

You know, the one released 2 months ago.

That's still on its first episode.

The Wolf Among Us

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm a little worried that TellTale may be spreading themselves too thin. But hey, if they can make it work, more power to them.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Count me in. For those wondering what the trailer actually is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwyLR3Dutas

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What rubbish. Think is i like Borderlands but im never trusting episodic gaming ever since valve fucked up by not releasing ep3 and made me waste money on ep1 and ep2 and get 2/3rds of a story they have no intention of finishing. So as much as i am interested in this and i hope they finish it properly. I will wait for a complete edition to be released.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
HYPE! HYPEHYPEHYPE! God, I loved what they did with Claptrap in "Poker Night 2".
That with Handsome Jack?! I'M FUCKING IN! XD

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I am optimistic about this one. It doesn't look like the player characters will be the same as the rest of the Borderlands series so hopefully there will be enough room for telling their story in the world

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well that is unexpected, even with Claptrap in Poker Night 2.

Telltale have certainly been getting lots of new love and IP's to play with haven't they?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Great, so now we have a small studio that produces episodic games at a relatively slow pace and they now have 4 games on the go. I felt like it was possible for them to work on The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead Season 2 at the same time, but now promising all that plus Game of Thrones and Borderlands. Guys please just finish the game you put out 2 months ago!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
praetor_alpha said:
Count me in. For those wondering what the trailer actually is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwyLR3Dutas
To embed youtube videos use [ ] and put youtube=XXXXXXXXXX inside them, where X is the characters after the = in the URL.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
Hopefully this will go well. I would really like to see more IP being passed around a bit. I would love to have Telltale get their hands on Mass Effect. "C-Sec Stories: Life in the Wards" could be spawn a good number of stories I think.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
Guys, it's great in all that you've hit it big and are now getting all the good IPs, but what about that other game?

You know, the one released 2 months ago.

That's still on its first episode.

The Wolf Among Us
I think that and Walking Dead season 2 are already written or close to being written. They just need to be coded and debugged and stuff.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Whilst it's interesting I'm concerned that they are taking on too much at once, although maybe they've already finish Wolf Amongst Us and Walking Dead though and are being mean by drip feeding us rather than releasing all of the episodes at once.

Plus I still want a TT Discworld game. I'll settle for Sam & Max though.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Well Borderlands certainly has amazing lore doesn't it, such as... the um... references to other pop culture things I guess?

Okay I remember the first game having the potential for interesting lore, but the second game was just crappy humour and a plot that didn't make any god damn sense. It didn't bother me that much however, since the first one wasn't my cup of tea. I guess I just don't see what can really be explored here. Also I hate the humour of Borderlands since it either goes for dumb dumb funny man said butt, or it references things hoping for a laugh instead of actually trying to parody anything.

Although, some moments are just pure fucking gold. Mainly in the first game though, like the Zombie Island DLC and how one of the mission characters dies is funny. Telltale have their own brand of humour which I much prefer to Gearbox humour, so I wonder how they will clash at least.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Ed130 said:
To embed youtube videos use [ ] and put youtube=XXXXXXXXXX inside them, where X is the characters after the = in the URL.
Sorry, I totally forgot how that worked. I put the youtube=entireURL in there instead of your XXXXXXXXXX, and it barfed on me.