8 FPSs That Will Have You Aiming Down The Sights

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 FPSs That Will Have You Aiming Down The Sights

To celebrate the release of Doom on this day in 1993 we give you a list of some of the most influential FPSs. So just camp on these images and enjoy.

Read Full Article

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Based on the title, I figured this involved FPSs where use of iron sights was required, like Red Orchestra, Arma, and Receiver. Oh well, a timeline of major historical FPSs still works. :)

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
TimeSplitters didnt make the list?

Might not have been innovative but that was a effing enjoyable series [well 2 & 3]

DSK-

May 13, 2010
That Halo 1 screenshot is probably from the Anniversary edition.

I remember Halo 1 looking more like this:

Just sayin'. Also, not really sure if FO3 really constitutes an actual FPS, but then again I can understand the joy of dealing out fat boy destruction. Good times.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
UNHchabo said:
Based on the title, I figured this involved FPSs where use of iron sights was required, like Red Orchestra, Arma, and Receiver. Oh well, a timeline of major historical FPSs still works. :)
The ironic thing is, you can't actually aim down your sights in any of the games in the article.

As far as I know only FO3 lets you- with a mod- and it's debatable whether that even classifies as a FPS.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
RT said:
No Golden Eye?!?!? Epic fail
No, justice. Golden Eye doesn't deserve to be on that list. The only remarkable thing about it is that it was one of few functional shooters on N64. That's not something to write home about. The original Medal of Honor deserves more praise than Golden Eye ever did. The original Half-Life came out at that time. Freaking Quake and Unreal existed. If not for the platform, Golden Eye would've stayed a footnote.
You weren't there man, you don't know.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
UNHchabo said:
Well, and then the first three were all from the era when the gun was drawn in the middle of the screen, so I kind of expected Dark Forces to pop up next, and instead they dropped in Duke.

I don't know, after Doom, that list kinda disappointed me. No Quake 3, no Unreal Tournament. "...but, we've got Tribes!" I know it was a good game, but it seems like a weird choice if you're going to showcase the multiplayer FPSs. Fallout 3's a weird choice to me, as well. I'd expect the original Deus Ex or System Shock 2 as the quintessential FPS/RPG hybrid, not FO3.

Robert Clayton

Aug 1, 2013
RT said:
No, justice. Golden Eye doesn't deserve to be on that list. The only remarkable thing about it is that it was one of few functional shooters on N64. That's not something to write home about. The original Medal of Honor deserves more praise than Golden Eye ever did. The original Half-Life came out at that time. Freaking Quake and Unreal existed. If not for the platform, Golden Eye would've stayed a footnote.
You must be young. Goldeneye hit the CONSOLE back in '97. Prior to that, if you were going to play an FPS, it HAD to be on a PC. Goldeneye PROVED that you could make a gamepad based fps with strong multiplay AND single play work for a limited power device like a console. When the first Half Life came out back in 98, you had to have a very current system to play the thing on.

Hell, without Goldeneye, you wouldnt have had Halo, but more importantly, you wouldnt have had Call of Duty as those guys came from the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault dev's who of course got their job because Medal of Honor for the console was a success....and that console was the GD playstation. The entire lineage of console (and more than a few PC) shooters comes directly from the influence of goldeneye.

Every shooter that includes 'stealth' as an option? Goldeneye did it first.
Location relevant shooting and free aiming? yeah goldeneye.

Back in the day, shooting an enemy in the head was no different than shooting them in the foot. Goldeneye changed that. Stuff you EXPECT in an average shooter wasnt even around until Goldeneye did it. focused aiming, minor zoom WHEN aiming rag doll etc.

Robert Clayton

Aug 1, 2013
RT said:
Robert Clayton said:
RT said:
You must be young. Goldeneye hit the CONSOLE back in '97. Prior to that, if you were going to play an FPS, it HAD to be on a PC. Goldeneye PROVED that you could make a gamepad based fps with strong multiplay AND single play work for a limited power device like a console. When the first Half Life came out back in 98, you had to have a very current system to play the thing on.

Hell, without Goldeneye, you wouldnt have had Halo, but more importantly, you wouldnt have had Call of Duty as those guys came from the original Medal of Honor Allied Assault dev's who of course got their job because Medal of Honor for the console was a success....and that console was the GD playstation. The entire lineage of console (and more than a few PC) shooters comes directly from the influence of goldeneye.

Every shooter that includes 'stealth' as an option? Goldeneye did it first.
Location relevant shooting and free aiming? yeah goldeneye.

Back in the day, shooting an enemy in the head was no different than shooting them in the foot. Goldeneye changed that. Stuff you EXPECT in an average shooter wasnt even around until Goldeneye did it. focused aiming, minor zoom WHEN aiming rag doll etc.
No, you must be young. Yeah, DOOM, Zero Tolerance, Bloodshot, all did that way before Golden Eye. What else..? Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem 64 hit the consoles exact same year (and yeah, in that game shooting guys in the head did make a difference), console version of Quake came out in 1997 and so on and so forth. If I hadn't Halo, I wouldn't lose anything. Actually, without Halo the world would've been a better place. Yeah, what does Call of Duty lineage having its roots in the PSX Medal of Honor game has to do with GoldenEye? Medal of Honor was actually good.
Free aiming? You mean like mouselook? Like in Duke3D and Terminator: Future Shock?
Youre absolutely right! how could i possibly forget the timeless classic that was Terminator Future shock!? all 5 people that played it loved it and its impact on future gaming.....totally didnt exist because the game was crap, didnt come standard with multiplayer.

You are forgetting that the point of the list was about games that had an IMPACT ON FUTURE GAMES WITHIN THE GENRE. You'd have been better off extolling the virtues of Marathon over crap nobody cares about like Future shock, Zero Tolerance and a bunch of other shovelware that bankrupted their studies and died lonely deaths in the bottom of the software bin.

You can cry all you want about how medal of honor was the greatest thing since sliced bread. What it WAS was a game riding the coat tails of Saving private ryan and introducing the genre to a cinimatic experience rather than set piece run and gun nonsense. It also had a totally killer soundtrack but by the time of Breakthrough, the game was stale, the multiplayer was stale and the entire series was becoming worse and worse. The original Call of Duty almost single handledly kept the WW2 shooter genre in business for another half a decade...then they did Modern Warfare and every fps has basically been trying to ape them since then.

But you know. Keep on being Mr. Edgy 'i hate things every other person on the planet loves because i think it makes me look cool' guy while the rest of the industry looks at you and facepalms.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Look, I LOVE Fallout. I really do. But don't try to claim things like "Fallout 3 could quite possibly be the best FPS of all time", because that is blatantly untrue. It's flawed on so many levels.

Anton Qvarfordt

Jan 28, 2012
You know what really sucks? Image galleries that make you reload an entire page for every picture... Is that for increased ad revenue or something or is it just poor design?

Anton Qvarfordt

Jan 28, 2012
Realitycrash said:
Look, I LOVE Fallout. I really do. But don't try to claim things like "Fallout 3 could quite possibly be the best FPS of all time", because that is blatantly untrue. It's flawed on so many levels.
It's also not an FPS. Yes it's in first person and you can shoot. But It's not an FPS.